Options

Travelling to the US

p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
Forum Member
Hi all,

Any help with this query would be really appreciated. The US Embassy is a fortress to try to phone and the website isn't particularly clear (to me, anyway). I think I know the answer but just want to make sure.

So me and my girlfriend are due to travel to the US in the summer. The question is whether we need visas. My passport is more up to date and has what looks like a little chip on the back of the page with all the important information on it, her's doesn't.

Having looked on the website it appears there is a visa waiver programme for UK residents, but that this is dependent on having a passport with the chip.

Basically, have I got it right that I would qualify under the visa waiver programme and she wouldn't? In which case, should we just both get visas to keep things simple, and is there plenty of time to do this?

Also, are there any other complications I haven't thought of.

Many thanks in advance should anyone reply.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to read this info: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

The passport requirements are listed here: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visa-waiver-program.html and as I understand it, the date the passport was issued or renewed determines whether it has to be machine-readable and have a chip with info and/or photo embedded. So you read the table on that page (under all other countries) and compare the date the passport was issued with the info. If both the passports meet the requirements you both apply online for an ESTA and if that works, it's automatically registered and you simply travel with your passports. Hope that makes sense and helps.
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Thank you both very much, that's hugely appreciated. I was wading through the websites and struggling to find the right bits.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    Thank you both very much, that's hugely appreciated. I was wading through the websites and struggling to find the right bits.

Only use thee website linked. Others will charge extra for doing the same thing.
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,447
    Forum Member
    You need a machine readable passport, plus an esta - your passport doesn't need to have a chip (mines doesn't but it's machine readable)
  • Options
    John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think I'm right that if you have <<<<<<<<<<<< on the main passport page (where your info is) its machine readable.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3953237.stm

As above, be 100% sure your on the correct ETSA site.... should cost no more than $14 for each application.

Oh, and probe best to apply as soon as you can, as it can be very hard to contact the embassy to arrange a Visa if the ETSA doesn't work, although 99.9 % do go through OK
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    I got an ETSA in September for a 3 week trip to the US. I remember it saying at the time it was valid for a certain period of time but now I can't find out from the website how long that is. I need to go to the US again in December. Do I need a fresh ETSA?
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    I got an ETSA in September for a 3 week trip to the US. I remember it saying at the time it was valid for a certain period of time but now I can't find out from the website how long that is. I need to go to the US again in December. Do I need a fresh ETSA?

They are valid for two years from the date of purchase...you can go on the ESTA website and retrieve it, you don't need the application reference, you can just use your passport details.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    When applying for your ESTA, make sure you print it out. I always take a copy with me, should any problem arise at immigration.

You should really get around to applying for your ESTA's sharpish, it can take a few days to be ok'd. Mine come back straight away, but I have heard of people having to wait.

Don't forget you need to fill in your airlines API (Advanced Passenger Information), this just speeds up the airport process.
  • Options
    Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be prepared for the warm and welcoming US immigration staff who are delighted that you have chosen to visit their country. NOT!
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid Law wrote: »
    Be prepared for the warm and welcoming US immigration staff who are delighted that you have chosen to visit their country. NOT!
    In my experience they're extremely variable. Some are as you say, but some are perfectly ok.

Having all your documents and paperwork 100% complete and correct, and answering all their questions clearly and promptly, helps enormously to get them on side. Look at it from their point of view: they want an easy life and job security, so if they can tap your information into their computer system smoothly then they can't be blamed if you later turn out to be a villain.
  • Options
    punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know where in the US you're travelling to but if you're going via JFK or Boston, look into flying with Aer Lingus via Dublin. There is an immigration pre-clearance agreement between Ireland and the US whereby the immigration checks take place before the flight rather than on arrival in the US. You can usually clear these in a few minutes rather than the hour or two you might need to wait to clear immigration in the US and I had no problem with any of the Dublin-based staff.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I fly to the US about 2 or 3 times a year and have never had a problem. Only once was I questioned about why I had visited Bali twice and the Cambia, that did raise a few eyebrows.
  • Options
    dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got a visa and it was a pain took a few months to get interview then searched at embassy costly interview about £100 iirc then passed over to a queue to pay for courier delivery about £60 then had to wait in on delivery day as they have a copy of your picture and won't hand it to anyone else
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    Having looked on the website it appears there is a visa waiver programme for UK residents, but that this is dependent on having a passport with the chip.

Can she not just apply for a new passport? Surely that's the easiest option?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^ You don't need a chip just a machine readable passport, the one with all the
    <<<<<<96838-36369>>>>>>> numbers like this at the bottom.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ You don't need a chip just a machine readable passport, the one with all the
    <<<<<<96838-36369>>>>>>> numbers like this at the bottom.

... as long as it conforms to the requirements specified on the web site linked earlier in the thread. Of course it may be the case that all UK passports conform to the requirements - my wife's passport was machine-readable but chip-less, and it was accepted for an ESTA.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member

I've never had a problem, they're friendly enough. Although first time we went they asked my wife if she'd ever been to the U.S. and didn't seem happy when she said no!
  • Options
    hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Been five times, twice to NY, Once to Atlanta, Phoenix, Miami, and am going to New Orleans next month. Not once have I had any problems, sure they may ask a few questions, but as long as you are honest and clear with them, and in my case had a few laughs with them they are absolutely fine. Hell the Immigration Officer in Atlanta even recommended good places for me and my family to go eat.

Maybe you would prefer them to just stamp and scan everything without asking questions or even looking at what they are doing, but that is not going to happen and for perfectly understandable reasons.
  • Options
    ad_walkerad_walker Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    We took the kids to florida three years ago and got our visas through the travel agency.it cost £100 for the five of us and not once at Manchester airport or at the other end in Orlando did anyone ask to see them! They were more interested in the passports and the fact that I nannied out there in my teens.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ad_walker wrote: »
    We took the kids to florida three years ago and got our visas through the travel agency.it cost £100 for the five of us and not once at Manchester airport or at the other end in Orlando did anyone ask to see them! They were more interested in the passports and the fact that I nannied out there in my teens.

They would have seen electronic verification of your visas when they checked your passport. Had they not seen that then you would have been invited to partake in a "discussion".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^ Hmm We in the Uk have not needed VISA's as such for the US for ages, so not sure what you were charged £100 for. If they were ESTA's, then there is nothing to show it's all computerised.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ad_walker wrote: »

They don't need to see them, as they are electronic, if you didn't have them you wouldn't even be allowed to check-in for your flight, because when the airline enters your passport details it shows you have an esta and are permitted to travel to the USA. They will always ask questions though, just because you have an esta it doesn't guarantee entry.

Nice bit of profit there for the agency about £80.00 less time, effort etc, as 3 years ago they would have been free.
  • Options
    dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Hmm We in the Uk have not needed VISA's as such for the US for ages, so not sure what you were charged £100 for. If they were ESTA's, then there is nothing to show it's all computerised.

True you used to complete a Visa Waiver form on the plane
  • Options
    Neil BuchananNeil Buchanan Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I fly to the US about 2 or 3 times a year and have never had a problem. Only once was I questioned about why I had visited Bali twice and the Cambia, that did raise a few eyebrows.
    Are they likely to scrutinise you if you have got visas for Russia and Belarus in your passport? It's just that I will be visiting those two countries later this year, then after that in the future, the United States.

:confused: