Options

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. -Anyone else looking forward to it?

HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
Forum Member
The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Official Trailer #1 (2015) – Henry Cavill, Armie...: http://youtu.be/-x08iNZ8Mfc

I certainly am,it seems very stylishedwith a good blend of cinematic elements to appeal to and satisfy old fans and new.

The casting looks very good too especially the rathe dashing leading man:blush:

Comments

• Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That looks fun. I would watch it.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Never that keen on Guy Ritchie, but I liked the look of that.

Spot-on casting of Henry C by the look of it too.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trailer looks and feels quite like the OSS movies from a few years ago - too much CGI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Never that keen on Guy Ritchie, but I liked the look of that.

Spot-on casting of Henry C by the look of it too.

Yeah Henry Cavill absolute drips with "movie star x factor" hes an absolute joy to watch.

It was a well put together trailer as it really piqued my interest and whet my appetite for this films release.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that Cavill looks and sounds good in this movie, it shows a lighter, comedy touch from him that we have not seen before.

As for the rest...not sure. It did not feel much like the original, and the tone of the movie did remind me of Ritchie's Sherlock movies.

It also seems to be very European based, which is another reason for me it did not feel much like the original.

I am not a huge fan of the original show, so that does not bother me too much though...it has potential.

Trailer didn't knock me out, but I didn't hate it either.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Henry Cavill will have some kind of a career outside of Superman after all. I was worried for him but he does look great here. The rest of the movie looks very meh. Out of the two Bond inspired films this year, I'd be much more inclined to see Kingsman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like Henry Cavill will have some kind of a career outside of Superman after all. I was worried for him but he does look great here. The rest of the movie looks very meh. Out of the two Bond inspired films this year, I'd be much more inclined to see Kingsman.

:confused: I'm sorry, but I don't understand. Christopher Reeve managed to have a career after Superman, so why shouldn't Cavill? Bear it in mind that acting career only ends when the actor is dead or retired.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    :confused: I'm sorry, but I don't understand. Christopher Reeve managed to have a career after Superman, so why shouldn't Cavill? Bear it in mind that acting career only ends when the actor is dead or retired.

No I'm saying I'm glad that Cavill has managed to get notable work outside Superman. There's been a worry that Cavill would become typecast. Even though he's been really well known to Hollywood producers for a good part of a decade (since he was considered for Bond and Batman), he hasn't done much since. The Cold Light of Day was pretty terrible. I've been worried that Cavill doesn't have much range beyond the stoic Superman look (which he does very well). But it's good to see from this trailer that he would've been a good Bond also.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I'm saying I'm glad that Cavill has managed to get notable work outside Superman. There's been a worry that Cavill would become typecast. Even though he's been really well known to Hollywood producers for a good part of a decade (since he was considered for Bond and Batman), he hasn't done much since. The Cold Light of Day was pretty terrible. I've been worried that Cavill doesn't have much range beyond the stoic Superman look (which he does very well). But it's good to see from this trailer that he would've been a good Bond also.

Oh, I see. Thanks so much for making that clarification. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    mikesuffsmikesuffs Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Robert Vaughn and David McCallum are still both well and available!
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikesuffs wrote: »

oh yeah , maybe they'll have cameos .

can someone just confirm - Samuel Jackson isn't in this is he ?
  • Options
    Forum Member

I hope hes reconsidered for the role of Bond in the future.I think hed be perfect.

Im a big fan:blush:
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    No thanks.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    I hope hes reconsidered for the role of Bond in the future.I think hed be perfect.

Im a big fan:blush:

I think he's maybe shot himself in the foot in that regard by taking on the 'Man From UNCLE' role, which was seen as a spoof of the Bond films. Interestingly, the show's creator had approached Ian Fleming for help with some ideas.
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I thought the trailer looks really good and another film I will looking forward to watching this year.Although it seems the fact that it's directed by Guy Ritchie is putting a lot of people off watching it from what I've read online however I don't understand dislike of Ritchie!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    I thought the trailer looks really good and another film I will looking forward to watching this year.Although it seems the fact that it's directed by Guy Ritchie is putting a lot of people off watching it from what I've read online however I don't understand dislike of Ritchie!

Neither do I as I really liked his film snatch?
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikesuffs wrote: »

Vaughn isn't. Very frail even when doing the last Hustle eps.

Wonder how Tarantino feels about this? He might've produced a film of his that I actually wanted to watch unlike everything since Kill Bill Pt. 1.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    The trailer looks interesting- I like the way they use the early sixties setting.

But with Mortdecai, and Kingsman already out, and a new Bond for later this year,
    will audiences succumb to spy fatigue?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think he's maybe shot himself in the foot in that regard by taking on the 'Man From UNCLE' role, which was seen as a spoof of the Bond films. Interestingly, the show's creator had approached Ian Fleming for help with some ideas.

Interesting.I do think Henry Cavill would have been perfect for the role of James Bond,I still think he is and its indeed still possible.Perhaps film execs will see beyond this current role and see the possibility that in the long run it can be transcended without too many problems?Thats my hope anyway.
    The trailer looks interesting- I like the way they use the early sixties setting.

But with Mortdecai, and Kingsman already out, and a new Bond for later this year,

That would be a concern of mine too but I think such a good tempting trailer as this is may help bring the audiences in.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    But with Mortdecai, and Kingsman already out, and a new Bond for later this year, will audiences succumb to spy fatigue?
    Mortdecai has already bombed, and Kingsman, though similar, will have played out long before UNCLE's release (mid-august).

Its biggest threat is Mission: Impossible 5, which has been brought forward to July 31 (we should see a trailer soon). This takes it away from its previous Xmas release, and yes, people have been mumbling that Star Wars is the reason.
    Interesting.I do think Henry Cavill would have been perfect for the role of James Bond,I still think he is and its indeed still possible.Perhaps film execs will see beyond this current role and see the possibility that in the long run it can be transcended without too many problems?Thats my hope anyway.
    IIRC, Cavill was still in mind for a potential Bond if Craig steps down, but was told he couldn't be after taking the Superman role. Presumably he'd be doing Superman for quite a number of films, and you couldn't have the same actor playing Bond and Superman at the same time. Something like that anyway. You can certainly see Bond in him, so to speak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You are right about Mission Impossible 5 being the biggest threat to Man From UNCLE if they are released close together.As MI is already a very popular francishe so maybe it would be better to put Man From UNCLE at the end of August

Does anyone know the UK release date of Man From Uncle?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Does anyone know the UK release date of Man From Uncle?

14 August. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1638355/releaseinfo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info

That's a few weeks after MI5 so I can't see it affecting it at the box office
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don;t forget Spooks - the Movie. Out in April or May I think
  • Options
    AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm showing my age but I watched the reruns when I was really young and I loved David McCallum/ Illya Kuryakin. I collected the novels based on the show and I still have them, thought they're a bit tattered and torn.

The only downside for me with the new film is that Hugh Grant is in it.I really detest his one-note acting so I'll have to look away when he's on screen.