Options

A Badger and a Fox. True story :-D

bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
Forum Member
✭✭
So, there is this Badger and Fox that come down my road every night together like besties.

They sneak through my garden, through the hedge into next door, then out on to the walkway (kinda ramp) down onto the footpath together. After a few sniffs of the ground, they both sit together at the edge of the footpath watching for any traffic.

Then, when it looks clear of headlights, they both run across the road together.

Then both check on each other with a few snout sniffs and run into a field together.

It's like a Disney movie. Really cute. Never seen anything like it.

I mean a Badger and a Fox??? My OH was amazed watching the pair.

Only trouble is, they are crossing over my drive and ruining a red brick wall which is a retaining wall onto the grass garden. The wall is now starting to crumble into a kind of half round shape. Badgers are quite hardy rough and heavy.

Any tips?

Anyone ever seen wildlife behave like this in real life? :)

Comments

• Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bootyache wrote: »
    So, there is this Badger and Fox that come down my road every night together like besties.

They sneak through my garden, through the hedge into next door, then out on to the walkway (kinda ramp) down onto the footpath together. After a few sniffs of the ground, they both sit together at the edge of the footpath watching for any traffic.

Then, when it looks clear of headlights, they both run across the road together.

Then both check on each other with a few snout sniffs and run into a field together.

Only trouble is, they are crossing over my drive and ruining a red brick wall which is a retaining wall onto the grass garden. The wall is now starting to crumble into a kind of half round shape. Badgers are quite hardy rough and heavy.

Any tips?

Never mind tips, any pics ? You could outdo the ferret riding the bird picture.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Build them some steps:D
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Disgusting behaviour! >:( Their children will only get bullied.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Never mind tips, any pics ? You could outdo the ferret riding the bird picture.

benj, if I knew how to do that I would. I can only just about post in here. I can use my mob for fone calls and texts, but that's it. I'm not up on tech stuff.

I do have a pic of a Fox puppy on my patio asleep. Really cute but I'd have to get my Daughter to link it in here.

I've had three Fox dens in my garden over the last ten yrs. Really adorable pups but ruin my garden tearing it up and digging holes.

Also have cute baby squirrels in the Spring/Summer playing last year. But grey squirrels kill the baby birds so not found of them. Love the red squirrel but can only be found up in Scotland now I believe because of the grey squirrel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benj, if I knew how to do that I would. I can only just about post in here. I can use my mob for fone calls and texts, but that's it. I'm not up on tech stuff.

I do have a pic of a Fox puppy on my patio asleep. Really cute but I'd have to get my Daughter to link it in here.

I've had three Fox dens in my garden over the last ten yrs. Really adorable pups but ruin my garden tearing it up and digging holes.

Also have cute baby squirrels in the Spring/Summer playing last year. But grey squirrels kill the baby birds so not found of them. Love the red squirrel but can only be found up in Scotland now I believe because of the grey squirrel.

I wouldn't care about the holes but foxes smell :o my dog occasionally rolls in fox sh** and it's all I can do to get her in the bath without breathing or touching her. The rest sounds cute tho :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Disgusting behaviour! >:( Their children will only get bullied.

:D:D

The Badger has a left front injured paw it seems so I don't know if the Fox is protecting it or something.

It's just weird. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I wouldn't care about the holes but foxes smell :o my dog occasionally rolls in fox sh** and it's all I can do to get her in the bath without breathing or touching her. The rest sounds cute tho :)

Yes, Fox poo is dangerous for domestic pets.
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you do have pics of the badger and fox together? Seriously, you need to get someone to upload the photos on the net... The world needs to see this! It's amazing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    magratx wrote: »
    Build them some steps:D

:D

I've actually put disinfectant down all along the stretch of retaining wall tonight.

I've heard that human urine is something a Fox can't stand the smell of. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vulpes wrote: »
    So you do have pics of the badger and fox together? Seriously, you need to get someone to upload the photos on the net... The world needs to see this! It's amazing!

I wish I could. lolol :D

I never know what time they are going to pass by. I've seen them together now about 5 times in the last month. But my wall was worse than ever this morning. I didn't see them last night but the evidence is there. ;-)
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    What about Toad, Mole and Ratty? :o

Has Badger ditched them, or is he brokering a new alliance now that the weasels have learned to fly? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Toad, Mole and Ratty? :o

Has Badger ditched them, or is he brokering a new alliance now that the weasels have learned to fly? :D

Ah, what's the name of that book?

It was one of my school books I had to learn to read long time ago. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tales of the riverbank ....possibly
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

The Wind in the Willows: Kenneth Grahame.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Any tips?

I had a badger and fox fighting each other the other week. It looked like a play fight though as the foxes tail was wagging.
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I could. lolol :D

I never know what time they are going to pass by. I've seen them together now about 5 times in the last month. But my wall was worse than ever this morning. I didn't see them last night but the evidence is there. ;-)

As you can see from my username I adore foxes. To see one with a badger BFF would be amazing - you're very lucky! :D.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any tips?

Wonderful story - interspecies friendships do happen - but are far more common in captivity as survival in the wild is so very hard.

Remember my thread on the wonderful Pocho (RIP)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUSOkmv0rHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7fZZUfvx0s
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    :D

I've actually put disinfectant down all along the stretch of retaining wall tonight.

I've heard that human urine is something a Fox can't stand the smell of. ;-)

Badgers can't. When I had a problem with a badger digging up my garden and leaving smelly poo everywhere, I was told about urine deterring them. My neighbours were slightly taken aback, even embarassed when they caught me peeing on the walls around the edge of the garden. I explained it to them, but they didn't strike me as being very convinced.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After a summer last year of fighting the it out about who gets first dibs on the kitchen scraps I put out every night for our semi-tame fox....she has decided to share the honours with our equally semi-tame local badger.

If the fox gets there first, all well an good - but if the badger shows up, she steps back, sits down and lets the badger have its fill!

All in full view of our conservatory, with the outside light on! That's the signal that there's food on the go :)
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't like either, they are vermin
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No because a Fox knows it's enemies and would generally go nowhere near a Badger.

Where i used to live backed on to open country and i'd often chuck out a chicken carcass on the back lawn. Never had to wait long before a Badger or Fox turned up for supper! But if a Badger was in there first, the Fox had to wait it's turn. If the Fox was first to arrive....the Badger would simply barge in and shoo him off!

Foxes are very timid nervous creatures, but clever. Badgers can be extremely hostile and a Fox is no match for one.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

It doesn't matter whether you like them or not. They're wildlife, not vermin.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Have you cut and pasted a chapter from The Tale of Mr. Tod?

I must have missed that bit. :D
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bugger off Billy.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭