Options

The HDR-2000T: a replacement for the HDR FOX T2?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
Forum Member
Seeing that it doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet in this forum, Argos has started to list a new Humax PVR called the HDR-2000T that could be a replacement for the HDR FOX-T2. But, according to an expert in this forum, the HDR-2000T is still in development and isn't ready to launch yet.

The Argos page appears to show an image of the existing model and to list the same specs, so we don't know how the new model will differ from the old one. The price quoted (£179.95) is also the same as it is charging for the 500GB FOX-T2, which it reduced recently (presumably in preparation for the new model). Amazon has also cut its price to the same level.

The new model is also being discussed here.

Most Argos branches are showing the new model as being out of stock but curiously a branch near me says it has one available. I am tempted to reserve it to see what they give me.

Comments

• Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Walpurgis wrote: »
    Most Argos branches are showing the new model as being out of stock but curiously a branch near me says it has one available. I am tempted to reserve it to see what they give me.
    Somebody else has done that and received (and rejected) an HDR-FOX T2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Somebody else has done that and received (and rejected) an HDR-FOX T2.

That's a pity. I have a £20 Argos voucher from yesterday's Daily Telegraph that I have to use by 23rd. So, do I use it to buy the HDR-Fox T2 for £159.95 or wait to see if the new model is a real improvement or merely a repackaging, like the YouView DTR-T1000/T1010?

We could, of course, find out that Argos is wrong with its price for the new model (as it is with the other details) so the new model could cost £300 or more if/when it arrives, putting it in a different price league. In that case, Humax may continue to sell the HDR-Fox T2 alongside the new PVR.
  • Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, do I use it to buy the HDR-Fox T2 for £159.95 or wait to see if the new model is a real improvement or merely a repackaging, like the YouView DTR-T1000/T1010?
    My guess (and I stress guess, I have no inside information) is that HDR-2000 will be similar to the HDR-FOX T2 but will feature a more powerful processor, have more catchup channels and will support IPTV.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be interested to see how it fares, but it'll probably be a lot more locked down software wise than the Fox T2.

I'm already unimpressed with how limiting the Youview boxes are to the consumer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    I'll be interested to see how it fares, but it'll probably be a lot more locked down software wise than the Fox T2.

This is not necessarily the case because the new PVR has (I presume) been designed entirely by Humax, while it builds the YouView boxes to a specification drawn up by the YouView committee, which probably excludes any customisation.

BTW, I did reserve an "HDR-2000" at Argos. When I went to pick it up, the man at customer services assured me that it was indeed the new model - because the computer said so. Of course, when he brought it out, it was a Fox T2
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is not necessarily the case because the new PVR has (I presume) been designed entirely by Humax, while it builds the YouView boxes to a specification drawn up by the YouView committee, which probably excludes any customisation.

BTW, I did reserve an "HDR-2000" at Argos. When I went to pick it up, the man at customer services assured me that it was indeed the new model - because the computer said so. Of course, when he brought it out, it was a Fox T2

This HDR-2000 only seems to be on the website. In store the catalogues have the T2, as has the new Autumn/Winter book.

I bought a HDR-T2 last week, and at the checkout they said that if the item is not available they will supply an item of similar specification(I think this is standard), so I thought is it a T-2000, but no it wasn't.

Perhaps when they were keying in the descriptions they got confused with the Terminator toys.:D
  • Options
    HummyownerHummyowner Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    HDR 2000T now available to buy from Humax Direct according to post on myhumax forum Link
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    Hummyowner wrote: »
    HDR 2000T now available to buy from Humax Direct according to post on myhumax forum Link

Yes, we've just received ordering information from Humax Trade for them this morning.
  • Options
    WendoleneWendolene Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    No front panel display, but it has increased memory.

I my opinion, it seems to be a 'cheaper' version of the HDR Fox-T2.

I would grab a HDR T2 before they supply runs out if I were you! I already have 3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, doesn't really seem any different from the Fox T2 HDR in features, although it may have better picture quality than the Fox if their YouView and Freetime boxes are anything to go by.

Wonder if it's capable of using the IPTV channels now, and of course the big question is will it be able to use custom firmware?
  • Options
    lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, doesn't really seem any different from the Fox T2 HDR in features, although it may have better picture quality than the Fox if their YouView and Freetime boxes are anything to go by.

Wonder if it's capable of using the IPTV channels now, and of course the big question is will it be able to use custom firmware?

It SHOULD be, Humax's press coverage states that the VuTV pay channels "will be" available (nothing about the other MHEG-IC channels via the portals on LCNs 225 up).

Post April 2011, any box tested has to comply with the newer D-Book specification that includes MHEG-IC however IF this is simply a HDR Fox T2 in sheep's clothing, it would not have to be retested in the same way the Vestel FVHD boxes reappear occasionally on different cases.
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a promotional email announcing the HDR-2000T.

New HDR-2000T HD PVR, Warranty extension & Happy Birthday

Dear Humax user,

Having the same functionality as the Freeview HDR-FoxT2 but in a smaller form factor and with the front display removed to reduce cost, the HDR-2000T is the perfect addition to our PVR range, please click on the image below for further details.

Its that time of year again, and as usual we have extended our warranties to allow you to purchase for Christmas now without being disadvantaged from a warranty perspective.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there now native 1080p support on this box? (ie: no third party chip to do it)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Folks, Homebase are doing 15% off everything this weekend and the HDR2000T can be had for £156.94 delivered!
    Use code DISCOUNT15 in checkout. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Squuiid wrote: »
    Folks, Homebase are doing 15% off everything this weekend and the HDR2000T can be had for £156.94 delivered!
    Use code DISCOUNT15 in checkout. :D

And there's a further 3% cashback available if you go via Quidco or via TopCashBack.

Now the decision: Whether to go for this for just over £150 delivered (with a two-year warranty, but no display), or a graded Fox T2 for £145 delivered (with a one-year warranty, a built-in display and the ability to customise)? Tough one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now the decision: Whether to go for this for just over £150 delivered (with a two-year warranty, but no display), or a graded Fox T2 for £145 delivered (with a one-year warranty, a built-in display and the ability to customise)? Tough one.

FOX T2 / 2000T
    FLASH: 32MB / 128MB
    RAM: 320MB / 512MB
    HDMI: 1.3a / 1.4a
    Operating Power Consumption: 28W /13W
    IPTV support: N/A / MHEG-IC
    PSU: Internal / External

I think I'd forgo the display for the possibility of future updates/features which could require the additional FLASH and RAM.

http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/specsheets/HDR-FOXT2_leaflet.pdf

http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/specsheets/humax-hdr2000t.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FOX T2 / 2000T

Operating Power Consumption: 28W /13W
    PSU: Internal / External

I wonder whether the power consumption figure includes the external power supply? It could be a sneaky way of making the power consumption look better than it really is. Otherwise, if the hardware hasn't changed much, it is hard to see how they could have cut the power consumption by more than half. Perhaps I'm being too cynical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that this can get the IPTV channels is a good selling point.

I'd still like to know what improvements there are under the hood though. Things like better picture quality and native 1080p support would be good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder whether the power consumption figure includes the external power supply? It could be a sneaky way of making the power consumption look better than it really is.

No offense, but from a technical standpoint this statement doesn't make much sense.
    Power savings are likely from a more efficient hard disk, chip die efficiencies and the lack of a display, among other tweaks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No offense, but from a technical standpoint this statement doesn't make much sense.
    Power savings are likely from a more efficient hard disk, chip die efficiencies and the lack of a display, among other tweaks.

No offence taken, and I can see that removing the display will save several watts. But Humax don't seem to be claiming this is a significant redesign - their recent email promotion described the new PVR as a "having the same functionality as the Freeview HDR-FoxT2 but in a smaller form factor and with the front display removed to reduce cost". There were no claims of any technical improvements.

A power supply does consume quite a few watts, so moving it outside the box would reduce the consumption of the box itself. But, for all I know, Humax could be including the external supply in the power rating.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I am going to order the new PVR - and hope that it will be more reliable than my ageing 9200T has been recently.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    The fact that this can get the IPTV channels is a good selling point.
    their recent email promotion described the new PVR as a "having the same functionality as the Freeview HDR-FoxT2
    Which is it? That is a whopping difference in functionality. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Which is it? That is a whopping difference in functionality. :confused:

For whatever reason, the Humax email seemed to be underselling the new PVR.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When I got around to placing my order, I was told (after filling in all of my details) that the product is not available!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When I got around to placing my order, I was told (after filling in all of my details) that the product is not available!

Yep, looks like there are none left.

I'm waiting for someone to crack one open and take a look inside before I put down any money. Perhaps a picture quality analysis, is it 1080p native, is the CPU the same, etc.

If this is a faster box than the FOX T2 and produces better image quality then I'm sold.
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday three disparate postcodes all came up with 'not available'.
    Today, the same postcodes are reporting 'available'.

Unfortunate:
    Yesterday the homebase discount code was valid.
    Today the homebase discount code has expired.