Options

Copacabana Palace on BBC 2

2»

Comments

• Options
    HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poor hard-working woman, shame they live in squalor. she needs better.

She had a really good work ethic, they all did, unlike the lazy scroungers here who all think they are too good to " serve " some one .
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She had a really good work ethic, they all did, unlike the lazy scroungers here who all think they are too good to " serve " some one .

She has no choice. What good is a good work ethic when you are living in abject poverty and barely able to survive on the equivalent of £80 a month
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's sickening to see all the locals and staff living in poverty while the guests choose to ignore it.

Its the same in most tourist places. Hotel work is poorly paid the world over.
    I will agree its particularly bad in Rio. What slums they are.

Years ago I did a summer season as a chambermaid while I was a student. The hotel was a very posh UK one and it was very expensive. It was a real eye opener when I saw behind the scenes where the hotel staff lived. No carpets, just bare floor boards, rickety old beds, no heat in the rooms, threadbare bed linen etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »

Years ago I did a summer season as a chambermaid while I was a student. The hotel was a very posh UK one and it was very expensive. It was a real eye opener when I saw behind the scenes where the hotel staff lived. No carpets, just bare floor boards, rickety old beds, no heat in the rooms, threadbare bed linen etc.

I know. It's disgusting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did they say what kind of business the British businessman (with the dog) was in? He must be very rich to stay there for so long.

I wouldn't like to stay in that room after his dog has been sitting on those white chairs and no doubt sleeping in the bed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did they say what kind of business the British businessman (with the dog) was in? He must be very rich to stay there for so long.

I wouldn't like to stay in that room after his dog has been sitting on those white chairs and no doubt sleeping in the bed.

I don't think they said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know. It's disgusting.

We used to have a very odd elderly couple come to stay for most of the summer. They were very wealthy goldsmiths from London and they each came in their own Rolls Royce. Each had their own dog which travelled with them and they had separate hotel rooms. They only met over dinner at night.

I used to have to take them each massive trays for their breakfast in bed. I was very petite and could hardly carry the tray loaded up with teapot, cereals, toast, smoked haddock or salmon with scrambled eggs or some days it would be kippers. We'd have to go up later and clean the rooms and take away the breakfast trays and they always left their plates on the floor so the dogs had obviously enjoyed their breakfasts!:o:o
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That woman training the chambermaids should sue her plastic surgeon!
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call it luxury either.

Travelodge looks more luxurious, unless they are deliberately going for the shabby shanty land chic.:D
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And the relevant words are "where the hotel staff lived": a friend of mine worked at the Savoy in the 1960s, and he "lived in", although the chambermaid did have to get back to her family.

We didn't think the rooms were particularly large, though. I think I'd expect a bit more room for that money per night.

I wish the programme had spent (more) time talking about or looking at the Restaurant. A friend went there a few years ago, and thought it was good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That woman training the chambermaids should sue her plastic surgeon!

Blimey, her face was shockingly bad wasn't it?
  • Options
    Calamity-joCalamity-jo Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found it really interesting. I said to the OH as we were watching it - we think living in the UK is crap sometimes, and people are always saying this country is going to the dogs etc. When you look at the plight of that poor woman having to live in one room with her three children with an open sewer running past outside - makes you realise how lucky we are. :(

I agree about the hairdresser, he was priceless! And as for the bloke with LadyBella the bichon frise - where does she do her business?! :kitty:
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    What a surprise that the camp hairdresser and the camp businessman were having tea when it was time for his birthday surprise.
    And it looked like the Japanese Brazilian employed the cute guy he interviewed!