Erm, try breastfeeding!

Comments

• CorbynDallasCorbynDallas Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Melp26 wrote: »
    Why? I thought this was a place to discuss things in general?

No idea. Everye time I try this thread it is about muslims or the daily mail or cheese twists.
  • MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't suggest a dictatorship. I am being judgemental but no one is saying anything to challenge my view. Explain it to me.

Some women can't physically do it. They just can't, regardless of how much they want to, and do you know what doesn't help?

People like you, being sanctimonious about how wonderful breastfeeding is. So maybe you can just mind your own, eh?
  • marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please explain why u think so, I'm genuinely interested.

I hated breastfeeding and got rid of my milk ASAP and started formula feeding. Some woman love it and others don't want to for various reasons. To imply that women have a duty to bf is very patronising. Formula fed babies thrive just as well.
  • Melp26Melp26 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    So you do it on DS instead. The irony?

Discussing a general issue on DS is not the same as directing my comments to a new mum who will he emotionally fragile. So no I dint see the irony.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm leaving this well alone... Sanctimommies are the worst
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But why don't they? I'm not trying to be horrible I genuinely want to know why you'd choose not to even try it.

Ask ten women, get ten different answers. It's a personal choice, and, again, there's nothing wrong with bottlefeeding.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't suggest a dictatorship. I am being judgemental but no one is saying anything to challenge my view. Explain it to me.

I think some people are just squeamish about it and would rather use bottles. It's just individual choice really.
    Like I said before I like a quiet easy life and always go for the easy option and I didn't really have much spare cash back then either so I was always going to breastfeed. The thought of having to get out of bed at 3am to a yelling baby while I made or warmed a bottle filled me with horror. Lop a boob in bed out and doze off again at the first sign of a whimper was preferable to me but I can understand why it's not for everyone.
  • AvinAGiraffeAvinAGiraffe Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    But why don't they? I'm not trying to be horrible I genuinely want to know why you'd choose not to even try it.
    I breastfed my son, even though the thought of it made me cringe, because I was pretty much bullied into it by midwives and health visitors. I loathed every feed and used to dread him waking up. I managed 4 months then decided enough was enough. From then on I was far more relaxed and happy. I really wish I'd bottle fed from the start as I think my anxiety about feeding him contributed to him being a cranky little beggar.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is how I feel but I genuinely do want to understand the thinking of women who choose not too. People just seem to say, it's their choice or something equally vague. Of course it is but who that choice? I can tell u exactly why I chose breastfeeding why can't bottle feeders tell me exactly why they chose bottles?

With my friend she had a emergency caesarean as the baby had got stuck in the birth canal. The baby had a sore head she was recovering from surgery the baby wouldn't latch on and after days of trying the hospital told her to give the baby a bottle
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye, much better to bitch about her behind her back.

I think it is, none of you know here and this isn't hurting her. Plus it goes to a wider question, it's not just about her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to stop replying to individual comments cos I can't keep up! Thanks to those offering personal insights. Just to clarify I understand people not doing it for physical reasons, traumatic birth etc or those who tried it and didn't like it or even hated it.

I still don't understand people who are dead set against it for no particular reason and won't even consider breast feeding. I prob never will by the sounds of it. Maybe it isn't any of my business but that doesn't stop it puzzling and intriguing me. I would never bully or harass anyone or try to make them feel bad. That's certainly not my intention here, I just can't get my head round it that's all.
  • peonypotpeonypot Posts: 2,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mariets wrote: »
    I hated breastfeeding and got rid of my milk ASAP and started formula feeding. Some woman love it and others don't want to for various reasons. To imply that women have a duty to bf is very patronising. Formula fed babies thrive just as well.

Very true. Although i loved breast feeding i'm not entirely convinced its all its cracked up to be, ive had five children two of which i breast fed for eighteen months the other three straight onto formula. The breast fed two have allergies (nothing serious) and they seem to have been the ones that pick up every illness going around. one of my boys that was formula fed is 14 and has never once been on antibiotics.
    Probably a coincidence but like i said im not entirely convinced.
  • Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some women can't physically do it. They just can't, regardless of how much they want to, and do you know what doesn't help?

People like you, being sanctimonious about how wonderful breastfeeding is. So maybe you can just mind your own, eh?
    Couldn't agree more!

I breastfed my son for 4 days but wasn't producing enough milk for him so midwife suggested a bottle .. Does that mean I don't want the best for him?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anecdotal evidence means nothing scientifically speaking. There are sooooo many studies saying breast is best to use the old cliche. I mean obvs it's best, it's what they are meant to drinking. Formula is trying to imitate it but will never get it exactly right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vix77 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more!

I breastfed my son for 4 days but wasn't producing enough milk for him so midwife suggested a bottle .. Does that mean I don't want the best for him?

I did state i wasn't including people who couldn't breast feed just those who don't want to.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Each to their own and all that. I breastfed because I'm a bit of a lazy tart. I didn't have a dishwasher back then.

The other advantage (from wife) is that it's much easier to lose weight after pregnancy if breastfeeding, all those calories are going to the baby instead of to fat.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vix77 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more!

The obvious compromise there is part breast feed - maybe that's what you did? That way the baby is still getting much of the benefit.
  • linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i breastfed all mine, i`m a big fan of it but i wouldn`t dream of imposing my views on another mother who would rather bottle feed, it`s none of my business, just as it`s none of yours.

We'll said. I didn't breast feed either of mine. The reasons I didn't are many. Like you say it's nobody else's business.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did state i wasn't including people who couldn't breast feed just those who don't want to.

So how do you think women who couldn't feel when they hear things like 'breast is best' and 'formula is no good'?
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anecdotal evidence means nothing scientifically speaking. There are sooooo many studies saying breast is best to use the old cliche. I mean obvs it's best, it's what they are meant to drinking. Formula is trying to imitate it but will never get it exactly right.

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/sibbreast.htm
    A new study comparing siblings who were fed differently during infancy suggests that breast-feeding might be no more beneficial than bottle-feeding for 10 of 11 long-term health and well-being outcomes in children age 4 to 14.

The outlier was asthma, which was associated more with breast-feeding than with bottle-feeding.

• linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But it's personal choice and nobody else's business.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Each to their own and all that. I breastfed because I'm a bit of a lazy tart. I didn't have a dishwasher back then.
    Hell yes. If only my breasts could have progressed to producing a nice shepherds pie with peas I would never have stopped. I am absolutely in favour of anything that produces dinner without any effort from me.
    Shouldn't this be in mumsnet?

Why? Do you think there should be forbidden topics on DS?
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There are sooooo many studies that say formula is completely fine. And there's soooo many studies that deem breastfeeding or formula a Very Bad Thing.

Look, you've clearly made up your mind so why did you even bother asking?
  • MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is, none of you know here and this isn't hurting her. Plus it goes to a wider question, it's not just about her.

No, it's not. Ask the wider question if you must, but you've made it about one person you don't have the guts to talk to about the issue in real life, and that is just cowardly and disrespectful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    There are sooooo many studies that say formula is completely fine. And there's soooo many studies that deem breastfeeding or formula a Very Bad Thing.

Look, you've clearly made up your mind so why did you even bother asking?

Are there studies saying that breastfeeding is worse?