Options

Rome in 3 days.

kareena46kareena46 Posts: 99
Forum Member
I am having a short break in Rome in January, staying very close to the main termini. My main question is, how easy is it to walk to the major tourist sights? My friend an I are notorious for losing our way and we don't want to spend most of our time looking for the way back to the hotel.
We are on a pretty strict budget so taxis are out of the equation.
Has anybody stayed in this area and can point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Options
    francis7francis7 Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very easy.

Most of the main attractions - Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps etc are centrally-based and virtually next to each other. And the underground train system is very cheap if you want to go a little further afield, ie to the Vatican or Coliseum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    My OH and I did a 3-day trip to Rome about 4 years ago and found it very simple to get about. As well as the underground, there is an excellent and easy-to-use bus and tram system and, when we travelled, you could buy a three-day pass in many little shops for a very reasonable price and these would take you anywhere n the central area. There's loads of information (in English!) at: http://www.rome.info/transportation/
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kareena46 wrote: »
    I am having a short break in Rome in January, staying very close to the main termini. My main question is, how easy is it to walk to the major tourist sights? My friend an I are notorious for losing our way and we don't want to spend most of our time looking for the way back to the hotel.
    Just buy a map when you get there (a couple of euros). It's quite a walk to some places (eg. St Peters) but there's the underground too from the main station.

(I tend to stay in the same area but usually rent a bike.)
  • Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The underground system is pretty good and easy to use if I remember rightly. And, as someone else said, a lot of the tourist attractions are quite close together. Walking aound the city is lovely anyway, though, as you discover lots of gorgeous alleyways and fountains everywhere! Have fun, it's a great city.

Edit: anyway not anway!
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe have a look at the Roma Pass:

http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=2

If you go for the 48 hour pass you get a free entry to one museum and discounts entry to the rest. It also includes your transport and you can skip some of the major lines.

We used ours to visit the Colosseum and took the guided tour entrance so we skipped an hour + queue.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We did 3 days in Rome last year and walked everywhere. A street map is handy but once you get your bearings you'll be fine. Getting lost is part of the fun in Rome, ancient history around every corner!
  • Options
    TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    When you get there buy the 3 day pass for the metro (about 16 euros), it also allows you to use the bus, urban train service and the trams - you can get everywhere with this.

Spagna / Barberini for Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps (you can walk between these)
    Spagna / Flaminio for Piazza Del Popolo (walk up the steps at the N.E corner and you'll reach a viewing platform with fantastic views of Rome) and Via del Corso (shopping)
    Ottaviano for St Peter's square
    Colloseo for the colloseum & forum which is next to Piazza Venezia which is at the end of Via del Corso (so you could also do that in the opposite order)
    Circo Massimo for circo massimo which if you walk along to the NW corner of it and down the hill you'll come to the Bocca della Verita and if you walk up the lane behind that you'll come to a beautiful orange grove in the grounds of a convent with an amazing view.
    There are numerous churches all over the place which you ABSOLUTELY MUST SEE as they are breathtaking.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do keep your wallet/phone/valuables where you know where they are and DO NOT give to beggars they are all part of criminal gangs, there are no down and out people on the streets of Rome as the criminals make sure no one is on their turf.
  • Options
    kareena46kareena46 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Oh, many thanks for the replies and the tips. I'm so looking forward to it now I know that the public transport is so easy, and we both love to walk anyway. I can see us now, wandering around in the middle of the night completely lost. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kareena46 wrote: »
    I can see us now, wandering around in the middle of the night completely lost. :o

Yeah, don't do that around Termini. And always confirm prices before ordering in bars / restaurants.

Rome is fantastic but if youre a pushover they'll push you over.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Yes, be careful where you buy ice cream especially:-

http://news.sky.com/story/1087559/british-tourists-angry-at-54-ice-cream-bill
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Rome is fantastic and the best way to get around is to walk. Some of the sights like the Trevi Fountain are nowhere near a metro stop and are tucked away down a side road. The buses are packed and the traffic can be bad. One good thing though is the tourist bus which you can hop on or off whenever you like and also take another trip later in the evening too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some of the sights like the Trevi Fountain are nowhere near a metro stop

Trevi fountain is about 500 m from the Barberini metro stop.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife and I spent three days in Rome and walked everywhere including the Vatican, no problem.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife and I spent three days in Rome and walked everywhere including the Vatican, no problem.

From the main station to the Vatican is about 2.5 miles in a straight line. Perhap a return trip of 7 miles or so along the pavements, assuming you don't get lost. Add in the standing and walking you might do around the Vatican, and it can start to be very tiring excursion!. And that doesn't include any diversions along the way.

Not everyone is that fit (and this trip is also in January when it gets dark early). However many other places of interest will be nearer to the Termini area.
  • Options
    petertreepetertree Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One useful thing to know is you can drink the water out of the drinking fountains (not the picturesque ones) that are numerous around Rome. The water is incredibly clean, have an empty bottle with you. When my daughter and I went we walked from the Colosseum into the Forum and were stopped and asked if we spoke English and would like a tour. We had a completely free, excellent tour of the Forum, of course they wished to sell us other tours, but you didn't have to buy.
  • Options
    Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went for the second time last month, both times walking with just a small map given by the hotel. Both times I ended up walking along the same streets!

We did a team building event on the Saturday afternoon and saw a great deal of the city walking for 5 hours.
    TYCO wrote: »
    Trevi fountain is about 500 m from the Barberini metro stop.

Trevi is being restored at the moment which is a shame for any visitors.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    From the main station to the Vatican is about 2.5 miles in a straight line. Perhap a return trip of 7 miles or so along the pavements, assuming you don't get lost. Add in the standing and walking you might do around the Vatican, and it can start to be very tiring excursion!. And that doesn't include any diversions along the way.

Not everyone is that fit (and this trip is also in January when it gets dark early). However many other places of interest will be nearer to the Termini area.
    We were both 58 at the time and yes, we were tired at the end of a full day but we just had three days so we wanted to experience everything.
    It's not a big deal if you want to soak up street life rather than public transport or taxis.
    We've been to many major cities on short breaks and worked out how to cover them, by preference, on foot and they're mostly all easily manageable.