'The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies' -ITV drama about Joanna Yeates

Comments

• LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    I have a vague recollection of a case like that. Wasn't it around Valentine's Day one year?

Yes, she was reported missing on Valentine's Day and not found until a long time later. Her name was Joanne Nelson.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-368005/Life-Joannes-killer-mum-turned-in.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/valentine-murderer-gets-life-564390

I'd forgotten until I read that first link that his mother had turned him in. He was another one who admitted manslaughter but denied murder, until just before his trial when he changed his plea to guilty of murder.

These are such sad, sad cases. How does a family cope with such things happening to a daughter?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that in some sections of the media, and some sectiond of society, if you are a middle-aged man who lives alone and are deemed "slightly eccentric" if anything happens that grabs the media attention, especially if a child goes missing or a woman in murdered you are automatically guilty, as this case amply demonstrated.

However what those sections of the media didn't count on was Christopher Jeffries fighting back and taking them to court for the way they had pilloried him.

Yes, he was just fodder to them. They also didn't count on the Attorney General prosecuting some of them for contempt of court as well.
    When the police ask family members to do a public appeal the purpose can be two-fold. Firstly to appeal for further information to catch the perpetrator but also so they can study the body-language and behaviour of those giving the press conference if they think they might be involved. Mick And Mairead Philpott, who murdered their children in the house fire in Derby, are perfect examples of this.

True. In the Joanne Nelson case the boyfriend was arrested just days later but it only emerged at his sentencing that he'd be turned into police by his mother and had admitted the killing straightaway.

Remembering these cases makes me think how we become somewhat sanitised to murder by watching fictional dramas where everything's solved in an hour or two and the detectives and smiling and laughing in the end. Not much to smile and laugh about in these real-life cases.
  • linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=LadyOfShalott;
    Remembering these cases makes me think how we become somewhat sanitised to murder by watching fictional dramas where everything's solved in an hour or two and the detectives and smiling and laughing in the end. Not much to smile and laugh about in these real-life cases.[/QUOTE]

Oh I do agree that we have become sanitised to murder. Not just by fictional dramas but by our 'daily dose of horror' which is the news.

I may be the only one here but I hate the thought of this Christoper Jeffries drama. I agree the poor man was treated very badly by the police and the media and that was very very wrong but everyone now knows he was completely innocent and I believe he was financially compensated for it (I know - the money is irrelevant). But, Joanne and her family are the true victims here and it seems very insensitive to show a programme like this at all but especially on December 10th when the anniversary of her murder is looming for her parents.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing that I always remember Jo Yeates murder was the weather. Round here in the Midlands it was possibly the coldest and snowiest December ever and the whole country seemed to be gripped by it. When she disappeared I couldn't help but worry for her simply because of how cold it was outside. When the trial and conviction of her murderer (I forget his name) was done the evidence against him was quite obvious. The media and police treat Chrisopher Jefferies really badly.

I will be watching this, I've seen most of the ITV real life dramas and found them to be of very high quality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linmic wrote: »
    Oh I do agree that we have become sanitised to murder. Not just by fictional dramas but by our 'daily dose of horror' which is the news.

I may be the only one here but I hate the thought of this Christoper Jeffries drama. I agree the poor man was treated very badly by the police and the media and that was very very wrong but everyone now knows he was completely innocent and I believe he was financially compensated for it (I know - the money is irrelevant). But, Joanne and her family are the true victims here and it seems very insensitive to show a programme like this at all but especially on December 10th when the anniversary of her murder is looming for her parents.

The timing does surprise me.

I think this drama will explore how an innocent man's life was destroyed for no reason, rather than focus on the murder itself. The fact the wrong man was hounded meant the killer almost walked free.

These real-life dramas have tended to be very well done - Joanne Lees/Peter Falconio, The Wests and Malcolm Webster which can help the understanding of why what happened did happen.

This article shows how appalling the coverage was - and how awful it was in relation to Joanna Yeates too. There's something almost cartoonish in the gleeful presentation of the story - or the lies, as most of it was. Dreadful.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/22eac290-eee2-11e0-959a-00144feab49a.html
  • Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I noticed in the trailer there's a brief glimpse of Joanna and her boyfriend and the scenary is very snowy, I think the researches have done their work with this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek Faye wrote: »

That's interesting. They want the story to be told - while the police and press persecute the wrong man, the real murderer gets away with it. Very honest comments, too, about the shock at seeing the trailer.

There are two very good interviews with Christopher Jefferies and actor Jason Watkins in the next issue of Radio Times. Jason Watkins speaks of how he and his wife lost their second daughter aged two - this really doesn't seem like a drama exploiting a tragedy but one about holding people to account.

It's interesting that most of the production crew came from Bristol, and there seems to be a close connection between many people involved - it's not executive-led but something that matters to those involved.
  • Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the RT feature is really interesting. I think this is going to be an excellent and insightful drama.

I don't think the character of Joanna Yeates is in it too much (if it is, it's the first episode) because it solely focuses around Jefferies.
  • spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 12,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The timing does surprise me.

Yes I suppose but on the other hand they're going to be thinking of the murder around that date every year so it saves it all being dragged up again at a different time of year.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Jeffries was on Radio 4 yesterday and said he was broadly pleased with the film. He said he had pointed out to the producers that one or two of the scenes depicted had never actually taken place. His target was obviously the tabloid press and they way (he said) they had behaved. Should be interesting viewing.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how the tabs that treated Mr Jeffries so atrociously will preview/review this drama
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Bump for tonight
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I shall be watching this t5onight and tomorrow.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Looks good so far.

Can do without all the background music (apart from what Chris is listening to).
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Startling similarity to him.
  • ScoundreldaysScoundreldays Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems good so far.
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if I can watch this without getting thoroughly annoyed again.

I remember when the papers started on him thinking it was totally wrong.

Not sure I need reminding with my blood pressure !!!
  • Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Startling similarity to him.

Incredibly. Excellent piece of casting.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yoshi Fan wrote: »
    Incredibly. Excellent piece of casting.

Even the mannerism seem similar. Think I will enjoy this. Looks promising.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    It's the best piece of casting I think I've ever seen.

He is brilliant.
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    It's the best piece of casting I think I've ever seen.

He is brilliant.

Yeah he's doing a good job. I recognise the actor from somewhere but not sure where. It's annoying me.:(
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Was he filmed by news tv cameras just that one time he came out of the house? Or a few times?
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,698
    Forum Member
    Both the actor, Jason Watkins and Christopher Jeffries were on BBC Breakfast yesterday. The similarity in looks and mannerisms that the actor portrays is excellent, even though as himself there was no particular resemblence.

Great production so far, well done ITV.

Mr Jeffries must have gone through hell for that period of time.

In hindsight I do wonder what evidence the police had to arrest him, then the media got hold of it and pulled him to shreds, merely because he is a little eccentric. :(
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peach45 wrote: »
    Yeah he's doing a good job. I recognise the actor from somewhere but not sure where. It's annoying me.:(

Herrick in Being Human ?
This discussion has been closed.