OXFORD STREET REVEALED: Weekday mornings on BBC 1

Comments

• Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A shame that building (69-89 Oxford Street) is going to be demolished. Does anyone know what department store used to occupy the site, and when it shut down? It's a bit of a dive down that end of Oxford Street. Always has been.

I agree, dissapointing if that building is to be demolished.

According to the Twentieth Century Society's website, it was Drages Department Store, later it appears to have been in Burton's ownership but I have no idea if they owned Drages or acquired them or just the building.

At least Centre Point has been saved.

http://www.c20society.org.uk/casework/a-tale-of-two-cities/
    http://manchesterhistory.net/architecture/1920/gainsboroughhouse.html
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are all beggars with dogs, sorry , The Homeless, as objectionable, self righteous and argumentative as that dreadlocked guy featured a few days ago ?
    It's like the traders in Oford St. are in the wrong for asking him to move his mobile dosshouse from their shop fronts.
    I might have more sympathy if they were less abrasive.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,590
    Forum Member
    I've been meaning to watch this series but it's on a bit too early in the day for me, must watch it on catch up, Oxford St was my stomping ground in the Sixties. Just been on Google street view and i am gobsmacked at all the changes, hard to recognise any part of it. I'm more familiar with the Marble Arch end of Oxford St rather than the Tottenham Ct Rd end, so can't say what that building to be demolished used to be. Probably been several things in the last 50 years!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    I agree, dissapointing if that building is to be demolished.

According to the Twentieth Century Society's website, it was Drages Department Store, later it appears to have been in Burton's ownership but I have no idea if they owned Drages or acquired them or just the building.

At least Centre Point has been saved.

http://www.c20society.org.uk/casework/a-tale-of-two-cities/
    http://manchesterhistory.net/architecture/1920/gainsboroughhouse.html

Thanks for the links. :)
    Unfortunately the application for demolition has been permitted.
    http://idoxpa.westminster.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=ML5JJLRP01R00

Such a shame.
    daisydee wrote: »
    I've been meaning to watch this series but it's on a bit too early in the day for me, must watch it on catch up, Oxford St was my stomping ground in the Sixties. Just been on Google street view and i am gobsmacked at all the changes, hard to recognise any part of it. I'm more familiar with the Marble Arch end of Oxford St rather than the Tottenham Ct Rd end, so can't say what that building to be demolished used to be. Probably been several things in the last 50 years!

I much prefer the Marble Arch end. The only reason I used to venture down the Tottenham Court Road end was to visit all those electronics shops that are all but gone now. :( Foyles is the only reason I go down that end nowadays and I cut through Soho to get to that. That whole end of Oxford Street is awful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Are all beggars with dogs, sorry , The Homeless, as objectionable, self righteous and argumentative as that dreadlocked guy featured a few days ago ?
    It's like the traders in Oford St. are in the wrong for asking him to move his mobile dosshouse from their shop fronts.

Kicking a man when he's down. Classy.

What do you do for an encore? Moan about old people not dying fast enough?
  • dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the links. :)
    Unfortunately the application for demolition has been permitted.
    http://idoxpa.westminster.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=ML5JJLRP01R00

Such a shame.

I much prefer the Marble Arch end. The only reason I used to venture down the Tottenham Court Road end was to visit all those electronics shops that are all but gone now. :( Foyles is the only reason I go down that end nowadays and I cut through Soho to get to that. That whole end of Oxford Street is awful.

Don't forget there is a great Foyles shop by the Royal Festival Hall as well.
  • AnnaFordFanAnnaFordFan Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »

But it's his ooman right to live where he wants, innit, and sod everybody else. Although I'd say he'd get pretty hacked off if 100 other people decided to set up their mobile dosshouses all around him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dsimiller wrote: »
    Don't forget there is a great Foyles shop by the Royal Festival Hall as well.

I always forget about that branch. I'll go there next time. Thanks for the reminder. :)
    Forum Member
    Have now watched the 1st ep and look forward to the rest. I'm baffled by the rickshaw business - if they are illegal, why are they allowed to contine their business? Do they pay tax on their earnings? Road tax? Insurance? And I bet the black taxis love 'em!
    I worked in the red brick building opposite Bond St Tube Station, which used to be a hotel. I noticed that either side of it were building sites. I can still remember the shops that used to be there. One of them was Marshall & Snelgrove, old fashioned even in the Sixties, but I loved their Toilets, they were huge and beautifully tiled.
  • RrosesRroses Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have now watched the 1st ep and look forward to the rest. I'm baffled by the rickshaw business - if they are illegal, why are they allowed to contine their business? Do they pay tax on their earnings? Road tax? Insurance? And I bet the black taxis love 'em!
    I worked in the red brick building opposite Bond St Tube Station, which used to be a hotel. I noticed that either side of it were building sites. I can still remember the shops that used to be there. One of them was Marshall & Snelgrove, old fashioned even in the Sixties, but I loved their Toilets, they were huge and beautifully tiled.

They won't pay road tax because that was abolished in the 1920s.

Who said they were illegal? Otherwise they wouldn't be on the road at al, they are basically bikes that carry passengers.
    Normally anything the cabbies are against I am for, but they certainly are rip off pests and I want to see them off the roads if they are charging what they did in the programme, touting and parking where they shouldnt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rroses wrote: »

Who said they were illegal? Otherwise they wouldn't be on the road at al, they are basically bikes that carry passengers.
    Normally anything the cabbies are against I am for, but they certainly are rip off pests and I want to see them off the roads if they are charging what they did in the programme, touting and parking where they shouldnt.

In one earlier programme..... one of these rickshaw drivers (foreign) was charging the tourists £5 per minute per person fare.......:o:o:o A copper was on hand to make sure that the driver got 20 quid and that was all at that time..... whether other drivers still get away with that disgraceful charging is another matter though.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for the heads up on this great little programme. Found all 10 on Catch up and will work my way through! Just one episode is packed full of diverse content. I want to try Urban bee honey and how amazing was "Speedy" the chap who spends his whole time running across the confined and precarious building site at the Tottenham Court Road end, guiding the crane up and then down again with all that tonnage overhead, to keep shoppers safe! :o
    Forum Member
    Rroses wrote: »

:confused: I gave up driving about 8 years ago, and I had a tax disc in my car then.
    It was said in the program that they were illegal.
    In one earlier programme..... one of these rickshaw drivers (foreign) was charging the tourists £5 per minute per person fare.......:o:o:o A copper was on hand to make sure that the driver got 20 quid and that was all at that time..... whether other drivers still get away with that disgraceful charging is another matter though .

Those who don't know any better - or the exchange rate, may fall for it, but I can't see a British person paying such an exstortionate amoúnt. And how tiny was that sign on the back of his rickshaw advertizing the rate?

Seeing my old work place again and the report of Mandy Rice Davis's death brought memories rushing back. At the height of their notoriety Christine Keeler and MRD sought refuge from the press in that hotel, we were under strict instructions to deny that they were there, but the hotel was under siege to reporters anyway - happy days! :D
  • Lolly_Du_BekeLolly_Du_Beke Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad I happened upon this thread and found out about this show - have watched eps 5-10 as that was all that was available on iplayer and it was great! So interesting. Shame I missed the first four. Is the series over or are there more eps to come?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad I happened upon this thread and found out about this show - have watched eps 5-10 as that was all that was available on iplayer and it was great! So interesting. Shame I missed the first four. Is the series over or are there more eps to come?

It's over. But if this thread is accuarate in terms of viewer appreciation and feedback it wouldn't be a surprise to see it getting a repeat showing before long.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    It's over. But if this thread is accuarate in terms of viewer appreciation and feedback it wouldn't be a surprise to see it getting a repeat showing before long.

I really hope there is another series. I am sure this will be repeated.

For me it was the diversity. One minute they were on pickpockets, then we had the newspaper men at Oxford Circus. Next following that guy in The Thistle Hotel. He was a right character. He got the Norwegian men into his restaurant and then regretted it as they were slightly drunk after their football match. He also kept saying they were Swedish. :D The electricity sub station was a new one on me. It looks totally untouched, but still in perfect working order.

I liked the London Underground lady at Oxford Circus. She's a real people person. Her call to 'man the gates' was made easier as she was so good with people.

Another thing in this show's favour was the voice over man. Not condescending at all (like 'Call The Council') Made a nice change.
  • RrosesRroses Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: I gave up driving about 8 years ago, and I had a tax disc in my car then.

Then you paid Vehicle Excise Duty on your particular vehicle. There isn't a tax for using the road . if you had an all electric car you wouldn't pay it. The roads are paid for out of general taxation so we all pay for them, not just out of vehicle taxes or charges.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope there is another series. I am sure this will be repeated.

For me it was the diversity. One minute they were on pickpockets, then we had the newspaper men at Oxford Circus. Next following that guy in The Thistle Hotel. He was a right character. He got the Norwegian men into his restaurant and then regretted it as they were slightly drunk after their football match. He also kept saying they were Swedish. :D The electricity sub station was a new one on me. It looks totally untouched, but still in perfect working order.

I liked the London Underground lady at Oxford Circus. She's a real people person. Her call to 'man the gates' was made easier as she was so good with people.

Another thing in this show's favour was the voice over man. Not condescending at all (like 'Call The Council') Made a nice change.

Yes, agreed, they found some interesting characters. Some of the history was partcularly informative too.

Mind you, I'm always a little bemused at programmes like this when they show plods following shoplifters in the street or pickpockets on the underground, who are trying to be inconspicuous yet have a film crew with them! :D
    Forum Member

Reading that gave me a fright as I have only managed to watch the first 4, so just checked on iplayer and all the series from 1-10 are still showing. phew!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading that gave me a fright as I have only managed to watch the first 4, so just checked on iplayer and all the series from 1-10 are still showing. phew!

I still can't get 1-4 via my iplayer :-S I watch via xbox and now only 6-10 are on.

Will have to Fire up the old laptop it seems :-(
    Forum Member
    I still can't get 1-4 via my iplayer :-S I watch via xbox and now only 6-10 are on.

Will have to Fire up the old laptop it seems :-(

I don't know how iplayer appears on xbox, but when I go into iplayer on my laptop and then click on OxFord St, it only shows eps 6 - 10 but there i an arrow which when clicked on brings up the previous eps. I hope they will all be available for a while yet as I am really enjoying this series. :)
    Forum Member
    I have just watched the ep with the guy with the dreadlocks who camps out on Oxford St. What puzzles me is how he transports all those belongings - they filled a police van. Yet he moves around by himself with all that stuff. :confused: A dreadful way to live yet he picks a very prominent position and refusess all offers of help. Maybe he just likes the attenion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work in a bus station and we had a regular homeless lady with as much as him. She'd carry as much as she could do far down the station then leave it and go back for another load. She always used to leave her stuff in the most inconvenient places too blocking doorways and right in the Middle causing a trip hazard.

One day she turned up with a supermarket trolley.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I don't know how iplayer appears on xbox, but when I go into iplayer on my laptop and then click on OxFord St, it only shows eps 6 - 10 but there i an arrow which when clicked on brings up the previous eps. I hope they will all be available for a while yet as I am really enjoying this series. :)

I've got a program that downloads programs off Iplayer, get_iplayer, that only showed 5-10 the other day when I searched and downloaded them.
    Online players run like a sack of spanners for me, even when I had a fibre connection.
    Shows all 10 here.
    Haven't watched any yet, it's about London so it'll probably interest me.

Edit: (for get_iplayer users) used the ---pid-recursive command and the series pid b04v6b9k, that seems to have found them all, odd text/title search only found 6-10 available.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I have just watched the ep with the guy with the dreadlocks who camps out on Oxford St. What puzzles me is how he transports all those belongings - they filled a police van. Yet he moves around by himself with all that stuff. :confused: A dreadful way to live yet he picks a very prominent position and refusess all offers of help. Maybe he just likes the attenion.

As I said in an earlier post, haven't watched any of this yet.

Might be a few things at work with the chap with the 'locks.
    Fair number of homeless people won't go near shelters, they can be violent places and you have to get along with people you don't know and don't trust.
    Prominent position, you won't get your head kicked in or stuff nicked, too many people about, it's probably why some travel the buses all night.
    Having seen some reality program about celebs been on the streets.
    Once you look homeless you become a non-person, people just divert their gaze blank you.
    IIRC it was the ex-corrie actor Bruce something, had a good cry about it.
    Somewhere prominent one of life's Chatty Cathy's is eventually going to come up and say something, have a random chat.