Options

Problem with Mac book.

dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've a problem with my mac book all of a sudden got numerous pop ups I couldn't control the track pad or anything. Any suggestions my mac book is fairly old but never had this problem before.

Comments

• Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do the pop ups say? It sounds like malware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was just controlling the screen and I wasn't doing anything. Also I tried deleting my network wifi and can now not connect to that again keep getting connection time out I'm using a BT home hub 4. How would I do a complete reinstall of the mac book then if it is malware, I really need this to look for work.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You haven't said what the pop-ups are saying. Without that vital bit of information it is impossible to offer any specific advice. It might not be malware, it could be perfectly legitimate system messages. But as we don't know what they are saying no-one can say for sure what you need to do to solve the problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no way of knowing wat is said I deleted chrome. I now have to try and get connected back to the Internet and do a full reinstall of my macbook. There was no pop ups as such it just seemed to go on various icons and enlarge the screen.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    I've no way of knowing wat is said I deleted chrome. I now have to try and get connected back to the Internet and do a full reinstall of my macbook. There was no pop ups as such it just seemed to go on various icons and enlarge the screen.

Again, there is no helpful information in there. You are very unlikely to have malware on a Mac. You don't say how old it is, so who knows what OS it is running.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is there a model number/year it was built etc as probably be a reasonably easy job to get some OS install media and wipe and start again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I done a complete install before and still the problem exist the tracking pad is just not responding or just completely freezes. As of now I'm running to smite 10.10.4 my macbook is a 13 inch Mid 2010. I have just installed sopho's antivirus to see if there's a virus so will report back when scan complete.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I done a complete install before and still the problem exist the tracking pad is just not responding or just completely freezes. As of now I'm running to smite 10.10.4 my macbook is a 13 inch Mid 2010. I have just installed sopho's antivirus to see if there's a virus so will report back when scan complete.

Could be a hardware problem? Everything work when you plug in a mouse?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I don't have a mouse but I'm gonna have to get one. I'm out of warranty so I'm not even able to chat to an apple advisor just wondering if I could take the macbook into my local store and maybe they could have a look.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I don't have a mouse but I'm gonna have to get one. I'm out of warranty so I'm not even able to chat to an apple advisor just wondering if I could take the macbook into my local store and maybe they could have a look.

If you're near an Apple Store, you could book an appointment at the 'Genius Bar' and they will take a look. They won't charge anything to just to look, but if it is hardware problem and you do want them to repair it will likely be very expensive. Try a mouse first (only costs a couple of quid) anyway that will help narrow down where the problem is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do I need an specific mouse bearing in mind it's a mid 2010 model and should I get a wireless one because if I'm right handed would be a bit awkward if I get one with a usb. Any recommend ones. Thanks.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do I need an specific mouse bearing in mind it's a mid 2010 model and should I get a wireless one because if I'm right handed would be a bit awkward if I get one with a usb. Any recommend ones. Thanks.

Macs will work with any old mouse. I'm using mine with a spare DELL mouse. You don't need to worry about where the USB ports are as long as the lead is long enough you can easily run it round the back of the Mac to keep it out of the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to apple store before got an appointment for later so hopefully find out what's wrong.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to apple store before got an appointment for later so hopefully find out what's wrong.

Hope the credit cards ready for the shock when you leave with a new iPhone,iMac and 2 iPhones along with the £700 quid in repair bills to fix the old lappy ;)
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you go back using Time Machine, which you should have been using to back everything up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since returned from the Apple store and it needs a new trackpad so there gonna repair it shut be 3-5 working days £60 in total which I don't mind paying seeing that I've had it 5 years and had no other repairs done on it.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At 5 years old, if it's been in daily use, it needs a new Hard Drive.
    For the record, trackpad problems are often caused by a swollen battery, which must be replaced before it causes damage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the guy gave it a clean bill of health to see if there was any other problems and it was fine if the battery goes then it goes. I'd rather spend £60 than £900 if I can get another year out of it ill take that.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since returned from the Apple store and it needs a new trackpad so there gonna repair it shut be 3-5 working days £60 in total which I don't mind paying seeing that I've had it 5 years and had no other repairs done on it.

I'd say £60 is pretty for parts and labour.