Options

George and Mildred

essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
Forum Member
anybody else rate the Man About The House spinoff, just bought complete set on DVD off Amazon, think it was repeated by ITV in the late 8os not sure

Comments

• Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must have been repeated round about the '87-'88 mark, I remember watching it when I was about 7 or 8.

Seeing some of it again on some Sky channel or other, it wasn't always funny but there is however always something eminently watchable about Yootha Joyce.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    I got the DVD set last year - remember watching it in the late 70's/early 80's - sure it's not as rated as Fawlty Towers but Yootha and Brian play the parts so well I'm usually laughing
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was a pretty good sitcom, lifted way above what the writing deserved by the two leads, who were fantastic.

Also, it features a little reference to the sci-fi classic 'The Stars, My Destination'.
  • Options
    klytamnestraklytamnestra Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been repeated quite regularly on Comedy Central Extra over the last couple of years, along with Man About the House and Bless This House. I never tire of seeing them!! Classic 70s comedy!!:D
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my all time favourites, sadly prematurely coming to an end with Yootha Joyce's death. Definately the best of the 3 linked series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Apparently Brian said that even if Yootha hadnt died they were only going to make one more series anyway. Anyone else seen the film, might get it later this year
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought G&M were great !
    There was a scene were someone asked Jerry (Georges layabout friend) "Would you be Mr Roper ?" to which Jerry replied "Not for a gold clock !":D
  • Options
    Miss_MooMiss_Moo Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    One of the best couples ever on television.
  • Options
    Harkins63Harkins63 Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always liked the way the bloke who lived next door hated George and thought he was a terrible role model for Tristan(i think),his son.

I seem to remember an episode where George's collection of adult magazines ended up on sale at the Church fayre and he had to try and retrieve them before anyone realised.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    can see parallels between this and steptoe, except they were a marred couple rather than father and son
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harkins63 wrote: »
    Tristan(i think),his son.

Tristrum, played by Nicholas Bond Owen

Wasn't Geoffrey Fourmiles' wife sexy ?
    I think her name was Anne (played by Sheila Fearn)
    Phwooooaarrrr !:D
    She was also the sister of Terry Collier (James Bolam) in "The Likely Lads" shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member

She was also the sister of Terry Collier (James Bolam) in "The Likely Lads" shows.

and played Kevin's mother in Time Bandits
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    I like the music to these titles.

This music, however, is the one I remember. Bit too wistful I think and doesn't represent the tension between all the characters.
  • Options
    Jacko lives!Jacko lives! Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's on the CC channel on Sunday along with MATH.
    That's my viewing sorted!
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just seen what the first poster is talking about. I much prefer George and Mildred, as it's more funnier. I quite 'liked' the blonde one in Man About The House. A BIT goofy, but still quite nice though.
  • Options
    Forum Member

This music, however, is the one I remember. Bit too wistful I think and doesn't represent the tension between all the characters.

yeah thats right thats one of few examples i can think of a sitcom theme completlely changing
  • Options
    Harkins63Harkins63 Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah,that was it.

Remember the film where George paid those bikers to pretend he'd beaten them up?:D

G&M had a motorcycle and sidecar if my memory serves me right.
  • Options
    captainmccoycaptainmccoy Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    Apparently Brian said that even if Yootha hadnt died they were only going to make one more series anyway. Anyone else seen the film, might get it later this year

All six scripts for the next series of G&M were done and production was all ready when Yootha Joyce died.

The film is atrocious but if you've seen the tv show then its a nice fix for your G&M habit - just dont expect much.

The MATH film is better but not very good either
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the affects of Yootha's illness through alcoholism showed in that film, she wasn't at her best in it.

Geoffrey and Robin Tripp's brother played by the same actor.
  • Options
    hotpotatohotpotato Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I so agree. George and Mildred was wonderful, as mentioned before, totally due to the two lead actors who elevated it above the mostly rubbish other 1970s ITV sitcoms... strange to see "George" on Catherine Tate show in the caravan fast-food sketches.

Agree about the theme tune. The original was in-your face and combined with the pics was a classic. The later one was more gentle but utterly forgettable :yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    apparently she was on a litre of brandy a day:( would never have known it goes to show what a geat pro she was I suppose
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was obligatory to laugh at the opening titles when Mildred's sidecar was left behind when George drove away on the bike and Jeffrey was splattered with mud !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    They did a stage version also
    I saw it in Leeds in early 1978
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

essexpete wrote: »
    yeah thats right thats one of few examples i can think of a sitcom theme completlely changing

The theme tune to series 1 is absolutely brilliant.

Sadly, from series 2, they filmed little sketches for the opening and closing credits and the original theme tune didn't fit the pictures, so they had to change it.:(

George and Mildred were brilliantly drawn sitcom characters. That's why G&M and MATH worked so well. The repeats of MATH on Comedy Central show it to still funny today. I think it's funnier than it ought to be giving how "normal" Robin and Chrissy are (as sitcom characters).
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A rare comedy hit from ITV, mind you in the late 70s they did seem to churn out a few decent ones like Rising Damp, Get Some In and Agony. I quite like the G and M episode where George joins the Conservative Association to better himself and does the Churchill V for victorythe wrong way round to the chairman.