Options

Classic FM Radio is 20 years old today.

Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
Forum Member
20 years ago today Classic FM became the UK's 1st official Independent National Radio service. I remember the bird song test transmissions that they did. Adrian Love R.I.P. did a good late show for that station during its early days.
On Saturday nights I remember listening to Quentin Howard doing what was in my opinion the best phone in quiz on any radio station. He also had a slot on that programme featuring news about forthcoming Classic FM transmitters.
I've enjoyed Classic FM a lot over the past 2 decades and I hope that it continues for many years to come.
By the way are there any plans for it to be available via Freeview ? Because if Global Radio can put Capital and Heart on Freeview then they could put Classic FM on there.

Comments

• Options
    -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    By the way are there any plans for it to be available via Freeview ? Because if Global Radio can put Capital and Heart on Freeview then they could put Classic FM on there.

Classic FM has better FM coverage than Heart/Capital which I think is why it's not on there. Maybe one day.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20 years ago today Classic FM became the UK's 1st official Independent National Radio service. I remember the bird song test transmissions that they did. Adrian Love R.I.P. did a good late show for that station during its early days.
    On Saturday nights I remember listening to Quentin Howard doing what was in my opinion the best phone in quiz on any radio station. He also had a slot on that programme featuring news about forthcoming Classic FM transmitters.
    I've enjoyed Classic FM a lot over the past 2 decades and I hope that it continues for many years to come.

Actually Love was ideal for Classic FM as he came from Radio 2 at the height of its Light Programme era.
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,896
    Forum Member
    Nick Bailey on the launch of Classic FM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTJ-7nkwEZE
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christ knowing its 20 today makes me feel old!
  • Options
    David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    back then the station started. EMI was one of those that started. if im right.
  • Options
    wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    I can remember driving around leafy Berkshire listening to the birdsong tests on 100.9/101.4
  • Options
    CraigSteele2001CraigSteele2001 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wavy-davy wrote: »
    I can remember driving around leafy Berkshire listening to the birdsong tests on 100.9/101.4

I enjoyed listening to the birdsong tests where they read out all the transmitters and the frequenices. I also remember the test tones they ran to
  • Options
    Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    MikeBr wrote: »
    Nick Bailey on the launch of Classic FM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTJ-7nkwEZE
    I remember on Classic FM's opening day that they played their theme music that David Arnold composed at around 3 minutes to 6. Then at 6am they broadcast a news bulletin read by Sarah Sheppard. So therefore it was Sarah Sheppard who was the first voice on Classic FM and not Nick Bailey.
  • Options
    shadowplayshadowplay Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    20 Years old? How time flies!! I remember the bird testing which was affectionally known as "Chicken FM". I miss Mark Griffiths who presented the overnight shifts, who I still correspond with and now hosts with Radio China. Classic FM is very relaxing to listen to after a stressful day and long may it continue.