Options

Maybe Judy should have stay "retired"

oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/judy-finnigan-branded-disgusting-after-4430546

On the front pages of most of tomorrows papers.. I actually cant believe she said this

Comments

• Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe it either. I'm genuinely shocked that Judy of all people would say something like that.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is she not entitled to her opinion unless it agrees with what others want her to say?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There does seem to be a lot of question marks over the case as I understand it so maybe she's just echoing what a lot of people think ?
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not surprised at all. She's a horribly false nasty woman and she meant what she said or why say such hideous things? I would like to know how she would feel if it had been her over- precious daughter. Yes go away back to your retirement.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope they sack the ****, terrible thing to say that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So is she not entitled to say what she wants, it's a free country she can say what she wants.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Is she not entitled to her opinion unless it agrees with what others want her to say?

she is, but free speech is a two way street. you can say whatever like, but rest assured people will disagree or agree this is a fact. free speech and 'free country' whatever is not just for you and your opinion, it is for everyone, and there are consequences to it.

and you will have to get used to the fact that you are not infallible and free from consequence. you are not free from repercussions of any kind good or bad just because you said your opinion. having an opinion does not absolve you. people have opinions too and they will share them if you express yours.

and you have to realise that some things you say will have consequences in life and in the work place and it is possible to lose friends, lose your job or alienate colleagues or hurt family with your words. and that is ultimately down to how you handle yourself.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Think that's the danger when you leave TV for a long time then come back, personal views you might share at home are just completely inappropriate on a TV show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    Think that's the danger when you leave TV for a long time then come back, personal views you might share at home are just completely inappropriate on a TV show.

She is still entitled to say what she wants whether it's right or wrong and it is up to her to justify them but she can still say them.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She is still entitled to say what she wants whether it's right or wrong and it is up to her to justify them but she can still say them.

She can say what she likes, but equally other people can question her on what she says.

She has since apologised for what she said.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    You can bet your life she wouldn't have had that opinion if it had been her daughter Chloe who had been raped.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    She can say what she likes, but equally other people can question her on what she says.

She has since apologised for what she said.

I think she has apologised if she caused offense, rather than apologizing for what she actually said.

I actually caught about 15 mins of this programme and happened to see the discussion. I thought I had misheard her when she said that it wasn't a violent act and when she went on to say about the girl had been drinking then mentioined he hadn't admitted it which seemed to suggest she considered maybe he might not be guilty, I was staggered.

Yes she is entitled to her opinion but it is generally accepted that if a court finds you guilty then you are unless you have appealed and proved otherwise. Comments made publicly should reflect that.

My concern with what she said is also from the wider perspective that the message she was giving was that rape only counted if you were sober, kicked and screamed and incurred injury during the ordeal. Rape victims (of either sex) are already reluctant to report incidents and the conviction rate is, I believe, fairly low, this type of comment does nothing to help the situation.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its me, i'm sorry xx
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Meanaunty wrote: »
    I think she has apologised if she caused offense, rather than apologizing for what she actually said.

I actually caught about 15 mins of this programme and happened to see the discussion. I thought I had misheard her when she said that it wasn't a violent act and when she went on to say about the girl had been drinking then mentioined he hadn't admitted it which seemed to suggest she considered maybe he might not be guilty, I was staggered.

Yes she is entitled to her opinion but it is generally accepted that if a court finds you guilty then you are unless you have appealed and proved otherwise. Comments made publicly should reflect that.

My concern with what she said is also from the wider perspective that the message she was giving was that rape only counted if you were sober, kicked and screamed and incurred injury during the ordeal. Rape victims (of either sex) are already reluctant to report incidents and the conviction rate is, I believe, fairly low, this type of comment does nothing to help the situation.

Completely agree with you.
  • Options
    bingoesbingoes Posts: 4,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She said and I quote 'it was unpleasant' ......... jeez i had a cold last week that was 'unpleasant' how can rape be called unpleasant? Opinions are one thing but ignorant, crass comments about rape another. Rape is rape.

The point she was trying to make about offenders trying rebuild their lives, whatever their profession were completely lost with her offensive comments about the crime in question.

She looks ill and quite frankly i think she should retire as she has obviously lost the plot, I am sure she did not want to have herself on the front pages on her first day back at work.
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never thought Judy Finnigan would be someone to say something so disgusting. Must be her "mumsy" image that had me thinking that way - just goes to show you NEVER know anyone's true colours just because you've seen them on TV regularly over the years.

As far as Loose Women goes, why hasn't this utterly wretched programme been axed yet? Ugh, I hate it. I think it's one of the most sleazy, offensive programmes on the box.
  • Options
    tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    What Judy said was indefensible, but call me cynical...
    Her first day on Loose Women as a panelist and she spouts this bile which caused a Twitter & Newspaper storm.
    That's one way to get some publicity for the dire Loose Women, everyone is talking about it on Twitter & no doubt it will be in all the papers & on every news show this morning.
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As one half of England's most famous ostensibly blissfully married middle class couple she obviously lives on a higher plane than the rest of us therefore is free to criticise the moral shortcomings of others from the smug self-congratulatory tower in the sky which she inhabits with her protector Dicky.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Far from being cynical I think this will shake Judy to the core and may be the last we see of her. She clearly had no concept how distressing her comments were, but the bigger shock for her must have been the speed it went across social media. Things have moved on apace even in the 5 or so years since she was on TV.
  • Options
    FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    So is she not entitled to say what she wants, it's a free country she can say what she wants.

She is. Other people also have the right to react and have an opinion of what she said on TV. She has to be prepared for that.

As for her opinion, I definitely don't agree, especially re rape not being violent as a defence.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    All sex is violent.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with what she,said. plenty of people, me for one, agree with her.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read her whole "speech" as it were, and I do get her overall point, she just didn't articulate some of it in the best way she could have.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone knocks on the Finnigans' door.

'Hi. The gaffer of the house?' they say, when Richard opens the door.

'Judy! Caller for you!' goes Richard.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Players are ambassadors in the community and role models. He shouldn't return to professional football.