The Mentalist season 5 Channel 5

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed the episode title was changed it was called "The Crimson Ticket" in the US perhaps channel5 had it changed as it contains a hint towards the motive behind the murder in the first episode.

That said I noticed 3 hints throughout the episode that the victim had won the lottery. The scenes between Patrick and Lorelei were really good. Next week also looks interesting.
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a reasonable first episode. I was hoping for more interplay between Patrick and Loreli. But this show doesn't really do story arcs. If we ever see her again she'll be face down in a ditch. Probaly won't be much RJ stuff until mid season break going by prevous seasons.
    As for hints towards Jane and Lisbon getting together, I really hope they don't go down that road. One of the reasons I like this show is that they haven't done the cliche of the male lead and female lead getting together, or even having much sexual tension between them. They very good friends and I think that's how it should stay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel that they should kill off Red John somehow, because the storyline of whether Jane would stay on as consultant for the CBI afterwards will make for some good episodes. Of course we havent even seen Red John's face yet so a season will have to end just with that shock reveal before we get anywhere near him being offed.

I read in an interview that Simon Baker is aiming for 7 seasons at least, let's hope that the show doesnt get cancelled by then as it would be nice for the show to finish on its own terms, but its always a gamble with US networks nowadays even popular shows arent safe the same network (CBS) cancelled CSI: Miami last season.
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulfam1 wrote: »
    I feel that they should kill off Red John somehow, because the storyline of whether Jane would stay on as consultant for the CBI afterwards will make for some good episodes. Of course we havent even seen Red John's face yet so a season will have to end just with that shock reveal before we get anywhere near him being offed.

I read in an interview that Simon Baker is aiming for 7 seasons at least, let's hope that the show doesnt get cancelled by then as it would be nice for the show to finish on its own terms, but its always a gamble with US networks nowadays even popular shows arent safe the same network (CBS) cancelled CSI: Miami last season.

And V got cancelled as the Visitors were on the verge of taking everything over.
  • TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    get the idea at the back of my mind that red john is somebody the viewer already knows like theresa lisbon for example however i read that only the shows creator bruno heller knows who it nobody else involved with the product and the identity is in a secure bank vault in alaska for safe keeping until its needed whenever that is to be
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TORPIDO 1 wrote: »
    get the idea at the back of my mind that red john is somebody the viewer already knows like theresa lisbon for example however i read that only the shows creator bruno heller knows who it nobody else involved with the product and the identity is in a secure bank vault in alaska for safe keeping until its needed whenever that is to be

I feel that the identity of RJ hasn't been set yet. We've had so little by way of hints, clues or anything about RJ. We know just about as much about RJ now as we did after watching the pilot.
    tbh, I don't really care who it is anymore. When the show's rating dip enough that it's going to get cancelled the names of every character who's appeared in the show will be put in a hat and one drawn out and that will be Red John.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    I feel that the identity of RJ hasn't been set yet. We've had so little by way of hints, clues or anything about RJ. We know just about as much about RJ now as we did after watching the pilot.
    tbh, I don't really care who it is anymore. When the show's rating dip enough that it's going to get cancelled the names of every character who's appeared in the show will be put in a hat and one drawn out and that will be Red John.

Rigsby as Red John, that would be awesome
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Episode 2 'Devil's Cherry' teaser is online:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGDWF0N7fpk

9pm Friday. Miss it, miss out. :)
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs_Stig24 wrote: »
    Loved the scene where Jane sneaked off while Lisbon was ranting, leaving her talking to no-one! I was watching with my grandparents and during the scene where Lisbon threatens to talk to Bertram if Jane doesn't back off with Lorelei, they were debating whether Lisbon has a thing for Jane. They came to the conclusion that she does. :)

Lisbon was wearing so much eye makeup (and badly applied too) that it was distracting. Lorelei is so annoying and looks similar to Lisbon (new-Dallas style casting - can't they have a blonde?). And Simon Baker seems less awesome after I discovered he started out in Home and Away. :eek::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was meaning to watch the Simon Baker show The Guardian before Mentalist started back up again but didnt get the chance, think they're repeating it on Sony Entertainment Television, oh well suppose its for the best, can't really imagine Simon Baker as anyone other than Jane.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was meaning to watch the Simon Baker show The Guardian before Mentalist started back up again but didnt get the chance, think they're repeating it on Sony Entertainment Television, oh well suppose its for the best, can't really imagine Simon Baker as anyone other than Jane.

I watched a couple of episodes of The Guardian, but wasn't keen on it. Simon played a rather dull character in it, imo. nothing like our lovely charismatic Patrick Jane. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Mrs_Stig24 wrote: »
    Loved the scene where Jane sneaked off while Lisbon was ranting, leaving her talking to no-one! I was watching with my grandparents and during the scene where Lisbon threatens to talk to Bertram if Jane doesn't back off with Lorelei, they were debating whether Lisbon has a thing for Jane. They came to the conclusion that she does. :)

Me too :)
    I think they'd make a nice couple (I know, I know it won't ever happen though :rolleyes:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soap_Queen wrote: »
    Me too :)
    I think they'd make a nice couple (I know, I know it won't ever happen though :rolleyes:)

Rigsby and Van Pelt could back together this season they drew it out in season 4 what with both their personal lives interfering
  • hayleys2915hayleys2915 Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did everyone think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    very pretty girl who played his daughter, this episode reminded me of Alice in Wonderland
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that was an utterly bizarre episode of The Mentalist but i loved it, i thought it was great! I thought it was fantastic the way the writers brought in Patrick's daughter all grown up even thought she doesn't exist. I could actually imagine her being his daughter if she was alive and well, she was that good. Pretty neat trick and i liked how it engaged with the main murder storyline. Also starting to notice how many desks Van Pelt is starting to sit behind! :D;):D

Great start to the season and much better than Ep1 which i thought wasn't that good to be honest apart from the twist at the end. Shame they never brought that up as i wanted to find out what happened to Lorelei.

Simon Baker is brilliant as ever, fantastic actor.
  • barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up with the first two episodes. The second one was really enjoyable, quite a quirky one and was nice to see maybe how his daughter would've been like when she got older.

I've noticed they seem to be pushing more towards a possible Jane and Lisbon thing which I find disappointing. I've never imagined them as a couple and I'm glad it's stayed as a friendship because I feel too many shows go down that route of the lead male and female characters getting together. Also a bit disappointed with Agent Darcey's situation. I don't like it when they bring in these characters and then just let them go never to be seen again. It's the same thing as Kristina Frye and it's a shame because I liked Darcey.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boab34 wrote: »
    this episode reminded me of Alice in Wonderland
    I think that was the intention. ;)

I loved this episode. It's refreshing to see such a good episode so early on in the season. I hope this is a sign of things to come. The scene at the end, with Jane taking more "tea" so he could be with his daughter again, was particularly moving.
    I've noticed they seem to be pushing more towards a possible Jane and Lisbon thing which I find disappointing.
    I'm not too fussed either way re the Jane/Lisbon thing, but I would like to see Jane in a strong romantic relationship with someone. And one that lasts more than a couple of episodes.
    I watched a couple of episodes of The Guardian, but wasn't keen on it. Simon played a rather dull character in it, imo. nothing like our lovely charismatic Patrick Jane. :)
    I can indeed see you've only watched a couple of episodes. :) Some of the episodes were a little dull, but the same could be said about The Mentalist. I actually found The Guardian to be more emotionally charged overall (ahh, I do love a good tortured soul), and that was mainly down to the Nick Fallin character. Put it this way, I'd buy a region 2 DVD boxset of The Guardian in a heartbeat if it ever became available in the UK, whereas I've never wanted to buy any of The Mentalist DVDs (and The Mentalist is my favourite show).
  • David_QuintonDavid_Quinton Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Just caught up with the first two episodes. The second one was really enjoyable, quite a quirky one and was nice to see maybe how his daughter would've been like when she got older.

I've noticed they seem to be pushing more towards a possible Jane and Lisbon thing which I find disappointing. I've never imagined them as a couple and I'm glad it's stayed as a friendship because I feel too many shows go down that route of the lead male and female characters getting together. Also a bit disappointed with Agent Darcey's situation. I don't like it when they bring in these characters and then just let them go never to be seen again. It's the same thing as Kristina Frye and it's a shame because I liked Darcey.

I always suspected Darcey of being in cahoots with Red John. I thought for a while, and sort of still do, she was the mole in the FBI. The whole RJ going to kill her I thought was a ploy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    I was about to ask if Amanda Righetti (Van Pelt) was pregnant as she seems to hide at her desk now and Mr Google says yes!
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I loved this episode. It's refreshing to see such a good episode so early on in the season. I hope this is a sign of things to come. The scene at the end, with Jane taking more "tea" so he could be with his daughter again, was particularly moving.

I can indeed see you've only watched a couple of episodes. :) Some of the episodes were a little dull, but the same could be said about The Mentalist. I actually found The Guardian to be more emotionally charged overall (ahh, I do love a good tortured soul), and that was mainly down to the Nick Fallin character. Put it this way, I'd buy a region 2 DVD boxset of The Guardian in a heartbeat if it ever became available in the UK, whereas I've never wanted to buy any of The Mentalist DVDs (and The Mentalist is my favourite show).

I was particularly moved at the end when Patrick was drinking the tea. I love the episodes where his sadness and loneliness are highlighted.

re The Guardian - I'm sure you are right; it was probably unfair of me to judge the series on just a couple of viewings. If it's repeated I'll try to catch it. :)

I just didn't find the character Simon played as immediately appealing as I find Patrick. But I too love a tortured soul. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rigsby as Red John, that would be awesome

How about Jane as Red John? :eek:
    Alphawao wrote: »
    I was about to ask if Amanda Righetti (Van Pelt) was pregnant as she seems to hide at her desk now and Mr Google says yes!

I often thought she was pregnant in the last 2 seasons :p
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that was a really good episode, it's nice to have a change from the usual bad guy of the week. It was heartbreaking when his daughter disappeared :(
    The cliffhanger-ish ending was poignant, although I did worry that he might collapse again! It would have been interesting to explore that in the episode, when I saw the straightjacket (sp?) in the trailer I thought Lisbon might have had him sectioned because he was killing himself with an addiction to belladonna.
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was enjoying the Guardian but it seemed to be cancelled mid-series by Channel 5.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the rabbit episode with his daughter all grown up, found it quirky and quite moving.