Options

Poor Iain Lee got shafted by Gary

Comments

• Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Lol at the excuses still being rolled out. The guy is an arrogant rude old man. In saying that Iain Lee is a bellend so ha ha to him.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ABCZYX wrote: »
    From reading Iain Lee's tweets, it sounds like that Gary didn't say that to him. If he had have done, then it wouldn't have been as rude.

Much ado about nothing I would say.....Gary wouldn't have a clue who Ian was and maybe he doesn't autograph things for people as a rule, who knows?
  • Options
    Scout66Scout66 Posts: 5,576
    Forum Member
    Maybe if Iain can get him into Camelot he'll sign his DVD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BROXI BEAR wrote: »
    Lol at the excuses still being rolled out. The guy is an arrogant rude old man. In saying that Iain Lee is a bellend so ha ha to him.

Excuses for what though? He's perfectly entitled to turn down an autograph request......perhaps Ian shouldn't have made a big song and dance of how he was going to get Gary to autograph the DVD in advance.
  • Options
    What a shamblesWhat a shambles Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iain bitching about it - without giving the context - tells you all you need to know. I used to like him, as well.
  • Options
    Zidane82Zidane82 Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Iain bitching about it - without giving the context - tells you all you need to know. I used to like him, as well.

I am pleased. What goes around , comes around as they say. Ian Lee is somene who is very happy to say cruel things about someone just to get a laugh.I detest the guy.
  • Options
    achroachro Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a 41 year old man, folks. Not a teenage girl.
  • Options
    ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    achro wrote: »
    This is a 41 year old man, folks. Not a teenage girl.

What's your point? If he wanted something to be signed, what's wrong with that?
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    Awww, Apparently Gary refused to autograph Iain's Buddy Holly dvd that he's been harping on about for the past few weeks. That was cold of Gary, still love him thou!!!!

https://twitter.com/iainlee

Did Iain talk about how he asked him and when? Gary's probably used to his signings and appearances being very tightly controlled (as a has-been maybe even MORE, because a larger part of his income is from autograph signings and appearances and he maybe can't AFFORD to give them away anymore or hurt his own ability to get paid for it).

Most people would probably realize that someone else famous asking them for an autograph is different, because they might turn around and burn you publicly. But Gary probably has no idea who or what an Iain Lee even is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vesna wrote: »
    He signs at conventions. $30

He's not alone in this practice, it's fairly common these days.
    It is in fact one of the main ways someone like Busey, who's deeply in debt and with limited income earning potential, stays afloat financially.
    BROXI BEAR wrote: »

How is it an excuse? Gary has few to no income earning opportunities. His royalties are likely regular, but not huge (because he's been in a lot of things, but mostly cameos that likely make pennies and not dollars in royalties). Personal appearances and autograph sessions become a necessity for people in Gary's position.
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The excuses made for him are laughable. I don't really like Ian Lee but that is just petty and, yes i'm going to say it, RUDE.

What a nice way to treat a fan that is. It takes 2 seconds to sign a dvd, 2 SECONDS.

Is this how he is going to be to all of his fans, you know, the ones that paid money for him to win ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    The excuses made for him are laughable. I don't really like Ian Lee but that is just petty and, yes i'm going to say it, RUDE.

What a nice way to treat a fan that is. It takes 2 seconds to sign a dvd, 2 SECONDS.

Is this how he is going to be to all of his fans, you know, the ones that paid money for him to win ?

That's a nice holier-than-thou position to take when you aren't someone reliant on appearance and autograph fees to earn YOUR living.

Is it sad that's the place Gary is in? Sure. But it's a fact--a reality.
  • Options
    Janet_HadfieldJanet_Hadfield Posts: 1,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha Ha Ha, sorry but poor Iain now knows what the housemates had to put up with. Perhaps he will have a little empathy for them, they were stuck in the house with that rude arrogant know it all 24'7.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So everyone has to go along with Ian Lee's agenda in highlighting this most trivial of incidents? Sounds like the proverbial storm in a teacup, and the only person put out by it
    should be Ian himself.....not sure why he even felt compelled to tweet about Gary's refusal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kromm wrote: »
    That's a nice holier-than-thou position to take when you aren't someone reliant on appearance and autograph fees to earn YOUR living.

Is it sad that's the place Gary is in? Sure. But it's a fact--a reality.

I'm sure the guy would survive if he just signed one frigging DVD. It's hardly going to set him back. The guy is an ex hollywood actor for goodness sake, i am sure he isn't that hard up.

If he was that hard up he wouldn't be donating all of his money to charity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the guy would survive if he just signed one frigging DVD. It's hardly going to set him back. The guy is an ex hollywood actor for goodness sake, i am sure he isn't that hard up.

If he was that hard up he wouldn't be donating all of his money to charity.

It's an absolutely trivial incident of no consequence whatsoever and the only reason we even know about it is because Ian decided to make an issue of it on Twitter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    It's an absolutely trivial incident of no consequence whatsoever and the only reason we even know about it is because Ian decided to make an issue of it on Twitter

People have made an issue about trivial things to do with what happens with Helen on Twitter, why should it be any different with Gary ?

Gary is just a typical American actor treating his fans like they are nothing to him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People have made an issue about trivial things to do with what happens with Helen on Twitter, why should it be any different with Gary ?

Gary is just a typical American actor treating his fans like they are nothing to him.

In the general scheme of things, whether Iain Lee got his Buddy Holly DVD signed or not signed by Gary Busey doesn't exactly seem to be of paramount importance......I'm surprised he thought such a trivial thing was worth even mentioning on Twitter
  • Options
    VesnaVesna Posts: 31,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is in fact one of the main ways someone like Busey, who's deeply in debt and with limited income earning potential, stays afloat financially.
    As I said it's common practice. Most people who have signatures that sell no longer sign for free, it's impossible to tell a real fan from a reseller. I think it was Liam Neeson but I'm not sure who would sign playbills after performances but nothing else. And for good reason, IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vesna wrote: »
    As I said it's common practice. Most people who have signatures that sell no longer sign for free, it's impossible to tell a real fan from a reseller. I think it was Liam Neeson but I'm not sure who would sign playbills after performances but nothing else. And for good reason, IMO.

It just shows how easy it is to be holier than thou and run with anything, ignoring actual facts.

As I said before it would be nice if Lee said what exactly he was told, when and how. Gary, who in many ways is barely functional, has probably been told by his management for years to simply refer people asking for ANYTHING to them (or maybe to his wife/girlfriend, if she's involved). Lee sees Gary not doing it on the spot as a diss, whereas it's likely Gary and his few working brain cells simply following what he's been told to do with everyone.

It's not just money that's involved either. Stars are trained pretty much early on that if they stop and sign autographs that they get STUCK signing them for hours--you never get away with signing "just one", despite what Lee or our upset poster here thinks. Their handlers get upset. Police handling crowd control get upset. Anyone around a street where crowds continue to mob while a star signs get upset. So stars rarely to never sign autographs when spontaneously asked. They do what Gary seems to have done--told the person to contact their handlers.
  • Options
    PollyusaPollyusa Posts: 7,062
    Forum Member
    Did Iain talk about how he asked him and when? Gary's probably used to his signings and appearances being very tightly controlled (as a has-been maybe even MORE, because a larger part of his income is from autograph signings and appearances and he maybe can't AFFORD to give them away anymore or hurt his own ability to get paid for it).

Most people would probably realize that someone else famous asking them for an autograph is different, because they might turn around and burn you publicly. But Gary probably has no idea who or what an Iain Lee even is.

Paul ‏@_KiLN_ 2h
    @iainlee So Gary Busey Ringo Starred you then?

Iain Lee ‏@iainlee 2h
    @_KiLN_ No, Ringo at least pretend to be pleased to see me and spoke to me.

Grumpeegit Skinner ‏@grumpeegit 2h
    @iainlee Great film. He probably didn't hear you.

Iain Lee ‏@iainlee 2h
    @grumpeegit He did. He said no. I've chucked it.

So everyone has to go along with Ian Lee's agenda in highlighting this most trivial of incidents? Sounds like the proverbial storm in a teacup, and the only person put out by it
    should be Ian himself.....not sure why he even felt compelled to tweet about Gary's refusal.

He tweeted about it because he has been saying throughout the show how he is a fan and he was so looking forward to meeting Busey.

Iain talked about how excited he would be to get Gary's autograph on his DVD. Iain showed the DVD on the show
    In the general scheme of things, whether Iain Lee got his Buddy Holly DVD signed or not signed by Gary Busey doesn't exactly seem to be of paramount importance......I'm surprised he thought such a trivial thing was worth even mentioning on Twitter

It was important to Iain.
    It just shows how easy it is to be holier than thou and run with anything, ignoring actual facts.

As I said before it would be nice if Lee said what exactly he was told, when and how. Gary, who in many ways is barely functional, has probably been told by his management for years to simply refer people asking for ANYTHING to them (or maybe to his wife/girlfriend, if she's involved). Lee sees Gary not doing it on the spot as a diss, whereas it's likely Gary and his few working brain cells simply following what he's been told to do with everyone.

It's not just money that's involved either. Stars are trained pretty much early on that if they stop and sign autographs that they get STUCK signing them for hours--you never get away with signing "just one", despite what Lee or our upset poster here thinks. Their handlers get upset. Police handling crowd control get upset. Anyone around a street where crowds continue to mob while a star signs get upset. So stars rarely to never sign autographs when spontaneously asked. They do what Gary seems to have done--told the person to contact their handlers.

Iain is a member of the BB staff, not part of a crowd. Clearly Gary couldn't be bothered to be pleasant or polite
  • Options
    neversaydieneversaydie Posts: 1,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is very poor from you,
    Most hollywood actors refuse autographs Jack Nicholson for one never signs.That is why his is worth a lot.
    You are making something of nothing.
    Oh! by the way Gary does not do requested shout outs either as seen on the Oscars red carpet.
  • Options
    JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well exactly. For all we know Ian Lee might have rudely interrupted a conversation and Gary had every right to say no. We just don't know the context.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well that's it. I don't like it when celebrities suddenly take to twitter to bitch about something that's just happened which they don't like.
    I think it's undignified and feels like they are trying to get their fans onside.

I think in this situation there was a lot going on for Gary to take in. Perhaps it may have been more appropriate to ask him when all the hoo haa had died down a bit.
    There was possibly good reason and it would have been more prudent to leave it for a while before taking to twitter to publicly voice his discontent.
  • Options
    LiamOKLiamOK Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When is Iain Lee ever on bots? I know who he is but I've watched it all the time and only seen him for the first time on the final episode! :confused: And bleh who cares? Not a big deal at all, he sounds like a moan throwing the DVD out and everything.

Think of it he's probably been asked for autographs every where he goes for the past 30-40years and is fed up or as others have said he probably has been told to only do them at actual events or send ins for a cost.