• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    double post
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do cats smell so good?

One of the cats I had as a child used to smell of perfume, or face powder or something.

My present cat just smells of awesome too, and when she comes in from the garden she smells of woody outdoors awesome.

Oh dear, too many awesomes, I'm not even young enough to use the term.

BIB - nah, never. The smell of cat fur (especially the belly) should definitely be re-named Eau d'Awesome :p
    The secret of that gorgeous smell is in their saliva, so when they've just had one of their thorough washes, the smell is even better.

Had cats all my life, never had a dirty/unhygienic (whatever the last means, no animal is "unhygienic") one. Fleas or worms are easily prevented with treatment, and I don't know a single person who's ever caught a disease from a domestic cat. That's just nonsense.

OP if you really want to know where to locate germs, look no further than the average home or office PC keyboard. They tend to contain 400 times more bacteria than a toilet seat!
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    What does this actually mean?

I am interested as my cat has a good old look at baby in the crib every night when he is fast asleep :eek:

It means nothing more than that 'member' has read the book, or seen the movie based on the book, Cat's Eye by Steven King. Pretty apt choice actually, because one of the stories in the book is all about a malevolent troll.
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    It means nothing more than that 'member' has read the book, or seen the movie based on the book, Cat's Eye by Steven King. Pretty apt choice actually, because one of the stories in the book is all about a malevolent troll.

Ah yes I remember that story, it was a little troll with a sword, wasn't it? The cat then proceeds to fight off said evil troll to save the baby.

Rainbowgirl, in all seriousness, please do not worry about your baby and the cat. They'll be perfectly fine.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Badcat wrote: »
    Mine do! it's like have a dog and clearing up after them, except sometimes the play hide and seek by burying them.

I used to have a dog as well as a cat; the dog used to dig up the cat's crap from the tray and eat it, and it took quite a bit of perseverance to get him to stop. I think that tells you all you need to know about animal 'cleanliness' lol.

One of my cats is now old and arthritic; it causes her considerable distress, not being able to reach all the places she likes to groom. Rather touchingly, the other one helps her out :)
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Is that a myth ?

It's been impossible to find one authenticted story of a cat suffocating a baby by sleeping on it's face.

Stories invented by the legions of unhinged cat haters :cool:

All I know is that when my boy cat sits on my chest when I'm in bed at night, I can barely breathe - so for a baby...
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    Good comments. Adding them up it works out that cats ARE more hygenic than people so I can just smile knowingly when I hear her start her 'dirty cats' speech up again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Good comments. Adding them up it works out that cats ARE more hygenic than people

You are collecting 'votes' from fellow cat lovers to present to this person who doesn't think cats are clean animals, but the cat-loving group are a minority who think cats are as pure as the driven snow :D

This does make me chuckle a bit though. Typical moggie-lover stuff, that cats are angels, cleaner than humans and cleaner than any other animal :D
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like how my 'smells of awesome' has caught on in this thread :D
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ps. i can't find the cat sniffers website :(
  • WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat, back when he was manageable. (Bottom row, second from the left. Roar...) :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    I like how my 'smells of awesome' has caught on in this thread :D
    One of my cats seems to think that I smell of awesome. He's got a thing about sniffing my feet. He'll press his nose right against my toes, or sometimes where my toes join my foot, hold it there and take a big, long sniff. Sometimes when he's sat on the rug in front of me I'll hold my foot just in front of his face and he'll lean in for a single, continuous 10 second sniff. His nose in direct contact with my foot, pressed right up against it and the big, deep sniff feels really odd and tickley. Then again, he is a bit of a weirdo generally (he doesn't meow, he makes weird chirping noises). There's been a few times when I've been woken up in the middle of the night by him sniffing my face :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my cats seems to think that I smell of awesome. He's got a thing about sniffing my feet. He'll press his nose right against my toes, or sometimes where my toes join my foot, hold it there and take a big, long sniff. Sometimes when he's sat on the rug in front of me I'll hold my foot just in front of his face and he'll lean in for a single, continuous 10 second sniff. His nose in direct contact with my foot, pressed right up against it and the big, deep sniff feels really odd and tickley. Then again, he is a bit of a weirdo generally (he doesn't meow, he makes weird chirping noises). There's been a few times when I've been woken up in the middle of the night by him sniffing my face :confused:
    Cats can smell cancer. :eek: Alternatively, cats can smell pregnancy. :eek::eek: :p
  • dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat, back when he was manageable. (Bottom row, second from the left. Roar...) :)

That one is actually yours? super cool :)
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    ps. i can't find the cat sniffers website :(

Cat sniffing is currently a legal high. Some people see it as an alternative to illegal hard drugs like heroin. There's no law against it, but if the law changes addicts could find themselves in trouble with the law.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member

That's a lot of gorgeous cats :)
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SCDchick wrote: »
    You are collecting 'votes' from fellow cat lovers to present to this person who doesn't think cats are clean animals, but the cat-loving group are a minority who think cats are as pure as the driven snow :D

This does make me chuckle a bit though. Typical moggie-lover stuff, that cats are angels, cleaner than humans and cleaner than any other animal :D

Does my cat roll in fox/ horse crap like my dog used to?
    nooooooope

Does my cat stink of BO because it hasn't washed OR has washed but is wearing the same top with old sweat on it for some unknown reason?
    nooooooooooope

did my kitten take it's dump/ wee in a nappy?
    noooooooooooope

not saying cats are angels (i've had right little gits) but cleaner than some humans and some other animals? yup, pretty much they are :D
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1379196/Sleeping-cat-suffocates-baby.html

They also suck the breath out of children (especially babies).

Not sure why you enjoy making yourself look perpetually bonkers. Both on here and elsewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dylan99 wrote: »
    That one is actually yours? super cool :)
    Yep. He's a right handful. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member

Most of my cats have been lovely, but I did have one big British blue Persian (short hair) that was dreadful! He farted everytime you picked him up, he was a bag of wind! He also sadly got a rare form of leukaemia which led to a dandruff type condition so everytime you touched him you got manly dead cat skin on your hands. He was a loving cat, but it was horrid! He sadly didn't love that long due to the leukaemia.

My mums old woman cat has bowel problems and has an enema every few months, she had one yesterday, and has spent the day doing major old woman farts, seriously they rival the dogs :D

Not all cats smell great, but out of the 8 I've had in my life, only 2 have been smelly or gross, and both times it's illness (or just being extra windy)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Cats can smell cancer. :eek: Alternatively, cats can smell pregnancy. :eek::eek: :p
    I must have foot cancer then as I've been single for 8 months now :p Or maybe I have a touch of athletes foot and he's got a weird fungal fetish?! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    Does my cat roll in fox/ horse crap like my dog used to?
    nooooooope

Does my cat stink of BO because it hasn't washed OR has washed but is wearing the same top with old sweat on it for some unknown reason?
    nooooooooooope

did my kitten take it's dump/ wee in a nappy?
    noooooooooooope

not saying cats are angels (i've had right little gits) but cleaner than some humans and some other animals? yup, pretty much they are :D

Well i dont know of any human who licks its anus and then spreads it all over its body thank god for that :D:D

I am with you on that they are cleaner than some animals and some humans ,but if every owner provided a litter tray (or toilette area in owners garden) i imagine they would be viewed much more favourably by the public :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    Most of my cats have been lovely, but I did have one big British blue Persian (short hair) that was dreadful! He farted everytime you picked him up, he was a bag of wind! He also sadly got a rare form of leukaemia which led to a dandruff type condition so everytime you touched him you got manly dead cat skin on your hands. He was a loving cat, but it was horrid! He sadly didn't love that long due to the leukaemia.
    )

I love persians! They are my favourite. Im not a cat lover but i do like persians. Was yours a persian and british shorthair mix?

British shorthair are lovely too, those chunky fluffy heads that look like they dont have a neck, probably my second favourite
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...I am with you on that they are cleaner than some animals and some humans ,but if every owner provided a litter tray (or toilette area in owners garden) i imagine they would be viewed much more favourably by the public :)

I don't think cats are quite that logical, sadly. Mine used her tray exclusively up until I dug over the garden, since then she's not used it once. I doubt she comes back to 'her' garden if she feels the need when out and about as cats don't recognise our bounderies, just the cat territories. We can try though:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I love persians! They are my favourite. Im not a cat lover but i do like persians. Was yours a persian and british shorthair mix?

British shorthair are lovely too, those chunky fluffy heads that look like they dont have a neck, probably my second favourite

I honestly don't know! I was about 13 when we had him and mum said he was a short haired british blue persian! But he also had ginger tints in the summer so I suspect he as not a purebred! he was huge, a blue/grey colour with the persian face and beautiful soft, short fur. But stinky. :D