Options

Dead software that you loved

Following on from this article here http://www.zdnet.com/six-clicks-dead-software-we-loved-gallery-7000028313/#photo, what now-defunct software did you love?

My nomination would be the easy-to-use Lotus Smartsuite (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_SmartSuite)

Comments

• Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never really loved a particular bit of software. But my wife swears by Microsoft PictureIt!, which was fine for all of her image/photo processing needs. It had all the right features and wasn't overly complex.

I think I sort of mourn the original Paint Shop Pro - before it tried it be a cheaper, crapper version of Photoshop. Along with GIF workshop, they were a perfect set of tools for making all sort of graphics - from stuff that I used in my early games, to web-site stuff.

I also sort of miss working with Borland's "Turbo" development products. Things like Turbo Pascal and Turbo C++ were my main tools for a while I was at college, and both allowed me to write lower-level code in assembler. Stuff using make files and all the silly buggering about that they involved - Turbo Pascal and Turbo C had proper IDE's and debuggers that worked amazingly well (as long as you weren't messing around with non-standard VGA video settings).
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Opera browser -- the one before it got chromed
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MusicMatch Jukebox (V8/V9 before Yahoo! ruined it)
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 3.1

Lotus 123

Word Perfect

Fortran 4
  • Options
    cp2cp2 Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kai's Photo Soap. My first photo editer but 16 bit so defunct on my 64 bit OS. Power Goo was pretty good too.
  • Options
    heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microsoft Money was excellent.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    I've never really loved a particular bit of software. But my wife swears by Microsoft PictureIt!, which was fine for all of her image/photo processing needs..........................

Was that the one where you could select the photos you wanted to print on single page, move them around and adjust their sizes?

I've got a Canon with Garden Rubbish, and it's a nightmare printing 4 pictures to a sheet!
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lotus Organiser.

Netscape Navigator
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never really loved a particular bit of software. But my wife swears by Microsoft PictureIt!, which was fine for all of her image/photo processing needs. It had all the right features and wasn't overly complex.

Memories...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdtzYl2_Ioc
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Does nobody remember Wordstar? The organisation I worked for 20 years ago installed it on all staff PCs and most people got used to it very quickly.

They then decided to switch over to WordPerfect although personally I never liked it.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

My dad still uses that for photo editing. He even managed to get it working on his Surface Pro! It took a bit of faffing around but he got it to work. He uses it on his Windows 7 laptops as well.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    Does nobody remember Wordstar? The organisation I worked for 20 years ago installed it on all staff PCs and most people got used to it very quickly.

They then decided to switch over to WordPerfect although personally I never liked it.
    I remember Wordstar, those was the days.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss final writer on the Amiga for some strange reason.

On the Pc, I miss Netscape, Lotus word pro,, my sister-in-law still uses it sometimes. that is about it to be honest.

If you go to Operating systems, I miss my Amiga, I would love to get it back up and running. what I may do at some point is buy a old Mac mini, pre intel and get Amiga Os 4.
  • Options
    cp2cp2 Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microsoft Money was excellent.

It still is!
    I'm still using it on my Win7 64 pc. Had to do a fresh install and at first it wouldn't work. It needed an update patch which seemed to be no longer available. However, it is still used by many so Microsoft made it available again. There was a workaround involving ripping and reburning a revised disc but using the patch was so much easier.
    Never found any reasonable alternative. Hopefully I can keep it running for a while longer.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wordstar
    dBase
    Lotus 1 2 3
    Harvard Graphics
  • Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to say the Gravity Usenet reader, but it turns out it's not dead!

This was my favourite Usenet reader back when i was on Windows and was the only piece of software i missed when i switched to Linux (tried to run it under WINE back then and was not successful).

I thought it had died a couple of years later but it seems to have been open sourced and a new version was released in 2010.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 3.1

Lotus 123

Word Perfect

Fortran 4

FORTRAN is not as dead as you think- many major engineering companies still use FORTRAN as the heart of their software programs. Admittedly, it has developed GUIs etc. which dear old FORTRAN 4 never had, but the base core is still the same.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U-lead Photo Express. Dead simple but very effective.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I suppose COBOL is now "dead software". I know large organisations still use it and there will be people doing maintenance and changes but would a new system written from scratch use it?

http://www.99-bottles-of-beer.net/language-cobol-1820.html

Even though COBOL was criticised as "verbose" it had a very powerful COMPUTE statement for complex calculations - was it really worse than any other language?

Talking of COBOL, this is the Fujitsu (ICL) SCL job control language for VME (another system that won't die). I believe it was extended to include simple file handling operations (OPEN CLOSE, READ WRITE), I never used those.

http://www.99-bottles-of-beer.net/language-scl-848.html

I never used S3 which was a lower level version of SCL, an ICL person once told me much of VME was written in it. I'm not sure was this code is actually doing.

http://www.99-bottles-of-beer.net/language-s3-849.html
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    Opera browser -- the one before it got chromed

Lol, one of the alienated customers then? :)
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    MusicMatch Jukebox (V8/V9 before Yahoo! ruined it)

FoxyTunes before Yahoo! ruined it.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Lotus Organiser.

Netscape Navigator

I remember using that years ago.
  • Options
    PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Timeworks Publisher

And GEM Desktop.

GEM was brilliant on my old 8088 PC and Timeworks Publisher ran on it, along with a variety of other apps.

I also liked MS-DOS Editor & QBASIC from the DOS days.

I also miss Apple's LiveType, it was very straightforward to use. Also liked the old iMovie HD, the newer versions are an abomination.
  • Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose COBOL is now "dead software". I know large organisations still use it and there will be people doing maintenance and changes but would a new system written from scratch use it?

MicroFocus still make quite a bit of cash out of it. They even have a Visual COBOL package now.
    Even though COBOL was criticised as "verbose" it had a very powerful COMPUTE statement for complex calculations - was it really worse than any other language?

COBOL was designed for a very narrow set of tasks, and from my point of view, that meant that the verbosity and specialized functions limited its usefulness and made the language just irritating to work with. Clauses were unnecessarily complex, probably because the people responsible for its design were not computer scientists.

I can write COBOL code if required, I'd just rather not have to suffer the pain!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Did anyone here use Lotus Smartsuite in the late 90s/early 00s? I remember buying a copy of Personal Computer World magazine in 1998/1999 and getting the full version of the office suite on the cover CD :D Still have the disk somewhere! It was a great office suite and I used it well into the XP era. I had it working on XP as well. Shame MS Office became too dominant as that killed off all the alternatives :(