Options

The Digital Spy Apprentice Series 4 - Task Two Boardroom

_NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello candidates, and welcome to the boardroom for the second task!

Apologies for the slight delay, what are your current feelings regarding this task?

Comments

• Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel kinda nervous, but happier that I am here on time and with no connection issues. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    We worked without a project manager. So if we win, we would've overcome some huge odds.
  • Options
    EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was good :)
  • Options
    NarutoFan100NarutoFan100 Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello Lord Sugar.

I think this task went well for our team, and i am looking forward to the results.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starting with Team Aptitude, Naruto was your project manager for this task, what are your opinions on your stint as PM?

Naruto, how did you find being the project manager for this task?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _NiallDEE_ wrote: »
    Starting with Team Aptitude, Naruto was your project manager for this task, what are your opinions on your stint as PM?

Naruto, how did you find being the project manager for this task?

I found it really good. Everyone was able to search a lot, however, there were a lot of absences which i were notified of which left probably only two people online on the second day, which wasn't ideal. Although, i was happy with what we had found.

I thought i organised everything well, updating everyone with the prices and link list, and hence making sure everyone knew what they were doing and what we were aiming for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't seem to be too many of Team Aptitude online right now, but seems from the evaluations I received that they generally thought you did a good job!

As for Team Inspired, Stacey was your project manager, how do you think she did?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, on the first day of the task, Stacey was good at assigning us to the items which got us to start working, but a few days since then and we didn't hear anything from her.

Which meant that someone else had to volunteer with the list preparing and finishing off the task which I did by sending the list over with the items we found as cheap as possible, but despite all that, I thought that we did a lot better with the task this time.
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    I'm back now.

Stacey was very organised on the first night, but since then she has been completely absent. Hasn't found any items, hasn't contacted us at all. Myself, Shadi, Zak and Steve had to do everything ourselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stacey was okay during the first hour, she just told us what two items we were each finding. Then she assigned a meeting at 7 PM yesterday which I thought was a bit too late. I think we should've met in the morning and had our prices, then throughout the day found prices of items that we weren't assigned with. Anyways, she disappeared right after that first hour and hasn't contacted us since. So we basically worked without a PM.
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Hi on my phone but will be unavailable as I have informed everyone. I just want to say Naruto did a fantastic job - we all knew what we were doing from the first moment and he was always so organised. I also thought as a team we worked really well with each other trying to find the best prices for everything. An interesting task and we all did a wonderful job I thought! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is definitely disappointing to hear.

A question for both teams, in terms of the task itself, what was your approach to this task? Did you implement any strategy in terms of finding the items?
  • Options
    Forum Member

A question for both teams, in terms of the task itself, what was your approach to this task? Did you implement any strategy in terms of finding the items?

I think we had a strategy at first where we each had our own items to find, but by the second night it had pretty much dissolved. Today we were just like, 'Forget the strategy, let's just go into it and get items as cheap as possible.' So today there was no strategy as such - we were just working at an emergency, searching for everything, but obviously focussing the most attention on the most expensive items. And also the sun cream, which no one had found anything for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At first, i assigned everyone two items. We then spent a while searching around for the cheapest. We then switched to two different items to gain a fresh perspective on the items since people tend to search in different places etc. We then switched again.

Towards the end we just targeted the items most likely to change price with what we had found.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We got assigneds 2 items to find then after we had found the cheapest we could Naruto switch us around so a second pair of eyes could search
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My strategy was to find the absolute cheapest prices for the items that I was assigned with (which I did since no one on my team could find cheaper than mine). Then, I started finding cheap prices for the remaining of the items, and I ended up finding the cheapest price of half of the items (5/10).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting to hear, my personal feelings in this task is it sometimes better not to delegate items to particular people, as it can limit other people's ability to find those same items at a cheaper price.

This task is obviously different from the others in terms of it moreso being based around working on your own than as a team, but do you feel like there was a sense of team spirit on this task?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, a specific question to Team Inspired, how did you feel the absence of a project manager affect your team, and what did you do to get around those issues?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting to hear, my personal feelings in this task is it sometimes better not to delegate items to particular people, as it can limit other people's ability to find those same items at a cheaper price.

This task is obviously different from the others in terms of it moreso being based around working on your own than as a team, but do you feel like there was a sense of team spirit on this task?

There was a bit of a sense of team spirit today because we all just wanted to get down to it, but I think we could have had more. I tried to keep people motivated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes i do, Like i was getting a bit stressed as i couldnt figure out screen shots and Naruto talked me thro everything like a good pm should :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I felt there was team spirit on our team. Everyone was motivated and enthused about the task. The fact we switched the items at least twice meant everyone mostly had a chance to search for most of the items and everyone had a chance to try pretty much most of the things. I also laid out what we were going to do before we started, so the team could work together.
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    I had a couple of ideas - using price comparison sites I found really cheap water. I also thought an all inclusive package for the flight and hotel would be good (the only problem was the fact that all the sites I visited would only take a return flight).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there was still a presence of a team spirit as once we found out that our PM was missing for a while, we got around to solving the issue by putting aside what we were meant to find prices for and just go around to finding prices for the rest of the items as cheap as possible with me compiling the whole list together in time.

But George is right, there could've been more team spirit shown, but I think we did well enough to pull through by the end and whatever happens, we were able to sort it out quite efficiently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also, a specific question to Team Inspired, how did you feel the absence of a project manager affect your team, and what did you do to get around those issues?

It did definitely worry me that Stacey wasn't around, but ultimately we all wanted to win. I think it would have looked quite pathetic to come back without having done anything and say it was down to the Project Manager - that's just a cop-out, and won't help any of our team in the long run. The best way forward was just to focus on finding cheap items and hopefully win the task despite our problems, and I think that was on everyone's minds.
  • Options
    SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi.

Thinking back, the original plan was to delegate two objects to each person and then on the second day (at 2pm), we were going to show the lowest prices we could find for our items and then continue by finding the other items we each didn't look at.

Stacey not appearing at 2pm seemed to slow things down but I think people continued to look for items regardless. For this task, Stacey being absent really wasn't an issue.