Three pay as you allowances

yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just topped up £10 and I got a free 150mb data allowance (which expires after 30 days). Do I get this allowance even if I just topped up £5? and what if I topped up more than £10, would I get even more free allowance?

I couldn't find an answer to this on Three's website

Comments

• heidthebaheidtheba Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to top up £15 and got the ayce pac for that amount and it would always show ayce + 150mb :D
  • Jack_Wilson2Jack_Wilson2 Posts: 2,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heidtheba wrote: »
    I used to top up £15 and got the ayce pac for that amount and it would always show ayce + 150mb :D

Every top up gets 150meg the best value on PAYG is All-in-one 15 with all-you-can-eat (1000GB) depending on data usage

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Article,varset_cat=payasyougo,varset_subcat=4124,Case=obj(4101)

'Mobile internet

Free allowance of 150MB with every top-up, then 1p / MB'
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    yesman2012 wrote: »
    I've just topped up £10 and I got a free 150mb data allowance (which expires after 30 days). Do I get this allowance even if I just topped up £5?
    Yes.
    and what if I topped up more than £10, would I get even more free allowance?
    No.

But you could top-up £5 use up the free 150MB and then top-up another £5 to get another free 150MB before you start eating into your credit.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what if I topped up more than £10, would I get even more free allowance?

Anything over a £10 top up will give you all-you-can-eat data which is around 1000GB.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    Anything over a £10 top up will give you all-you-can-eat data which is around 1000GB.

No it wouldn't, all top ups get 150MB, you could convert £15 to the All-in-one plan with AYCE data add on, but simply topping up £15 or more doesn't give you AYCE data.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always top up £5 at a time for the 150 Mb of free data; it’s the right thing to do.:)

300 Mb for a tenner in 2 x £5 payments or 150 Mb for a one off £10, that said the first time you top up it has to be £10 anyway AFAIK.
  • yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    I always top up £5 at a time for the 150 Mb of free data; it’s the right thing to do.:)

300 Mb for a tenner in 2 x £5 payments or 150 Mb for a one off £10, that said the first time you top up it has to be £10 anyway AFAIK.

So if I made two £5 top-ups separately, like within the space of a few minutes, I would get free 300mb instead of 150mb of data usage for 30 days?

if thats correct, why the hell would anyone just top up £10 in one go then?

I didn't know about this, feel like a right idiot now. Another issue I have is that when I made my first top up about 2 months ago (it was £10), I got 150mb of data allowances AND (I think) 500 texts as well. Now I don't get the text allowances, is that because they were only included in your first top up?
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if I made two £5 top-ups separately, like within the space of a few minutes, I would get free 300mb instead of 150mb of data usage for 30 days?

I didn't know about this, feel like a right idiot now. Another issue I have is that when I made my first top up about 2 months ago (it was £10), I got 150mb of data allowances AND (I think) 500 texts as well. Now I don't get the text allowances, is that because they were only included in your first top up?

Must admit I’ve not done one then another but one then when the data is down to a few Mb left I’ve done another and they queue so when one expires the other starts. I assume you could do 2 back to back but I don’t know if the 30 day clock runs from top up date or from when it starts getting used as I don’t keep mine that long.:)

Like it's been said around here somewhere that 3 does not mention the free data on the £5 top up but if I remember rightly I’ve read on their site about getting the free data if you top up a tenner so it’s a bit like for those in the know.

Edit:
    Thought I just add to things that puzzle us, could someone explain why on the 3-2-1 sim 3 do a add-on of 500 Mb for £5 that equates to 1p per Mb but with the add-on the clock is running.:confused:
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member

I think that £5 top-ups are only available on the web-site. Are other means of topping-up (vouchers, supermarkets, ATMs...) not mostly £10.
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    I think that £5 top-ups are only available on the web-site. Are other means of topping-up (vouchers, supermarkets, ATMs...) not mostly £10.

I do it through the three app on my phone, but I think that actually goes through to the mobile website anyway.
  • lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must admit I've not done one then another but one then when the data is down to a few Mb left I've done another and they queue so when one expires the other starts. I assume you could do 2 back to back but I don’t know if the 30 day clock runs from top up date or from when it starts getting used as I don’t keep mine that long.:)

Like it's been said around here somewhere that 3 does not mention the free data on the £5 top up but if I remember rightly I've read on their site about getting the free data if you top up a tenner so it’s a bit like for those in the know.

BIB - well... that's not entirely fair. Three do mention it here, just for example, and there are a fair few other mentions of the 'free allowance of 150MB with every top-up, then 1p / MB'. The main thing is that many people don't actually know that you can top up £5 on Three at all, topping up £10 instead simply because that's the smallest voucher you can buy in a shop.

It always used to amuse me a little when the previous 3Pay tariff was live - a £5 topup would give you the following; 25 text, 150mb of data, 5000 minutes of Three-Three calls and the £5 credit.
    Edit:
    Thought I just add to things that puzzle us, could someone explain why on the 3-2-1 sim 3 do a add-on of 500 Mb for £5 that equates to 1p per Mb but with the add-on the clock is running.:confused:
    Pass. The All in One 25 add-on is just as odd an inclusion considering current call rates :confused:
  • mbsnrmbsnr Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know if the free 150mb data allowance (from a PAYG top up) is used as a data allowance when travelling in a 'Feel at Home' country?
    Or is it just paid for add-ons that are used as the allowance?
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recently topped up £5 then immedietly another £5 and got 150mb instantly available with another 150mb showing as in reserve/pending (or to that effect)

As I already had £8 in credit I then bought (converted my credit) to a £15 add on for use in France which I'm using now. I did notice the 300mb 'free' data got used up upon first use abroad and now I'm using the AYCE data allowance (25Gb limit when abroad) which might suggest the free data is usuable in a feel at home country.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^
    Thanks. :)
  • DenonDaveDenonDave Posts: 163
    Forum Member

This has always baffled me, too. Presumably it would now enable 500Mb of data in Feel Like Home countries for 30days.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    That 500mb add on has been there for years. Even before the 321 package came in. As have all the other add ons. Guess Three don't see a point in changing them just yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well my Feel at Home experience with Three using a 321 PAYG was reasonably successful, used in my Moto G phone - I topped up and converted this to their £15 add on to give 300mins/AYCE data (25GB abroad) and it worked as soon as data roaming was turned on. I was in the middle of Paris and get excellent coverage everywhere (even in the Channel Tunnel*) - data speed tests gave anything from 0.3mbps to 10mbps in and around Eiffel Tower and surround touristy areas. I uploaded some short videos to Facebook but was a bit slow going and did find streaming services poor at best, Spotify worked but stuttered and Youtube and BBC was nearly unusable despite very high signal levels and speed tests showing it should have worked (if in the UK) surprisingly the BBC wasn't blocked which I thought their programming would have been. For Facebook, web and email it was fine which was all I really wanted to use.

The preloaded data sim (1GB/1month preloaded) that I bought for my Mifi also worked, no add on or top up required, as Jabbamk1 had said it would - I got that SIM from PC World for £4.99

*I was surprised to find that on my return journey I got an HSPA signal all through the Channel Tunnel (roaming on the Bouygess Network) which made voice calls but no data was possible. Don't recall getting any signal when leaving from London to Paris while the phone was on Three network but on return it stayed on the Bouygess network pretty much all through back to the UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we really still teaching people how to top up? (roles eyes 'n' wags finger)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, yes we are. We're not all blessed with your top up knowledge - Lots of people aren't clear on the intricacies of Three's 321 PAYG and Three's Feel at home with pay as you go, or at least several people in real life and on web forums have been confused by it. So stop wagging that finger and rolling your eyes, you look silly :D
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Who's "we"?

What was your contribution other than this poor attempt at sarcasm?
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    That 500mb add on has been there for years. Even before the 321 package came in. As have all the other add ons. Guess Three don't see a point in changing them just yet.

I can still see the 50p Internet Daily rate as an add-on, but for the description it doesn't say anything (like how much data you'd get for that day). Anyone remember how much you got?

And it still says on mine that it's £5 for 150MB, but the description says 500MB (or vice versa). I am quite surprised that nobody from Three has spotted these mistakes yet! Maybe nobody has told them (I haven't) but it's still poor.

And I've said in other threads for some time that topping up at £5 a time is a wise move!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    And I've said in other threads for some time that topping up at £5 a time is a wise move!

Wish I'd read them! I got a Three SIM on my last visit to the UK (for data and texts) but didn't realise you could top up by £5..... In Ireland the min top up for most PAYG is €10.

Oh well £9 credit sitting on there for another visit before EU roaming charges go in 2016......
  • ZebbZebb Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I joined 3 last year, they told me the minimum top up was £5 if I had a bank card associated with the account, otherwise it was a minimum of £10.
  • lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

Yes, that's right. When the call rates changed to 321 they just kept the existing add-ons (which they didn't publicise all that well - when the rates changed, the amount of people who thought that meant that the add-ons had been removed at the same time :confused: but lets not go there :cool:).

My point is, that's fair enough if they simply don't see a point in changing them. In the main it doesn't actually make any difference, just creates the odd quirk like; 500mb for 1p a MB at PAYG rates or 500mb for £5 which lasts 30 days, which works out even - expiry date aside. The All in One 25 add-on though... why they still offer that one, at current call rates, I really don't know.