Options

Free Premier League Football on SKY in August

StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sky to broadcast its first ever free-to-air live Premier League match 17 August

Sky will broadcast its first ever free-to-air live match on the opening day of the new season amid its escalating battle with BT Sport.

As part of a revamped schedule, it will show its 5.30pm Premier League kick-off live on 17 August as well as a Football League match live at lunchtime as part of a new show called FL72.

Sky Sports 1 will shift to Sky Sports 2 for the day, allowing Sky viewers who do not subscribe to the sports package to watch for nothing...

and on Freeview and YouView services it will take over Pick TV for the day.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/27/sky-free-premier-league-match?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fmedia%2Frss+%28Media%29

Comments

• Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    The picture quality of Pick TV on Freeview is appalling, so will give this a miss
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Surely the OP means Sky2 and not Sky Sports 2?

Also, why not just dump it on PickTV on all platforms? I'm confused?
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Sports 1 will shift to Sky Sports 2 allowing Sky viewers who do not subscribe to sports to watch for nothing?

I thought you had to have Sky Sports for Sky Sports 2?

Plus no chance anyone will watch it on Pick TV, it hardly shows the "QUALITY OF SKY"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the OP means Sky2 and not Sky Sports 2?

Also, why not just dump it on PickTV on all platforms? I'm confused?
    ocav wrote: »
    Sky Sports 1 will shift to Sky Sports 2 allowing Sky viewers who do not subscribe to sports to watch for nothing?

I thought you had to have Sky Sports for Sky Sports 2?

Plus no chance anyone will watch it on Pick TV, it hardly shows the "QUALITY OF SKY"

I Copied & Pasted the quote below.

Just quoting the article...

"Sky Sports 1 will shift to Sky Sports 2 for the day, allowing Sky viewers who do not subscribe to the sports package to watch for nothing..."

I don't watch Sport !!! so it's all new to me.

But yes, SKY 2 does seem to be a better option.

Perhaps the Guardian journo got his facts wrong !!

Perhaps they don't watch Sport either !!!!!

If anyone spots a correction to the article later on please post the corrected details in this thread.

I see the article has now been corrected, to SKY 2, NOT SKY Sports 2
  • Options
    Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is definitely Sky 2 and not Sky Sports 2 that Sky Sports 1 will be simulcasted on (along with Pick TV)
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stigid wrote: »

"Sky Sports 1 will shift to Sky Sports 2 for the day, allowing Sky viewers who do not subscribe to the sports package to watch for nothing..."

But yes, SKY 2 does seem to be a better option.

Perhaps the Guardian journo got his facts wrong !!

Perhaps they don't watch Sport either !!!!!

Just checked the article, it does say Sky 2 not Sky Sports 2.

Still odd, means its not in HD for non subscribers, so they may as well only put it on Pick TV, makes no difference to anyone!
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member

The article clearly says:

Sky Sports 1 will shift to [highlight]Sky 2[/highlight] for the day
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They've amended that in just the last few minutes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ronant wrote: »

My quote was a direct copy & paste of the original, and I made a back-up PDF too !!!

Which I've just re-checked...

Yes, the article has been corrected.

Of course, I NOW WILL have to watch SKY 2 Football on the 17th August !!!

Or at least SKY+HD SKY 2...
  • Options
    pryanpryan Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    My quote was a direct copy & paste of the original, and I made a back-up PDF too !!!

Of course, I NOW WILL have to watch SKY 2 Football on the 17th August !!!

Or at least SKY+HD SKY 2...[/Q

Who says that competition doesn't work!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In another article the author Owen Gibson, is credited as Owen Gibson, chief sports correspondent, you think he would know better !!
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    'Game Changer'
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Never mind the Premier League, this also means that Leeds v Sheffield Wednesday will be shown live for free.

So I can avoid paying them £36 for the "privilege" of being on the front row with my head basically at player's knee height, like I did last season.
  • Options
    bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    I don't care what people say, Sky are rattled by BT Sport. Doing this like this makes that evident.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »

Shoddy Journalism, what else do you expect from the Guardian ;)
  • Options
    The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    Jack1 wrote: »
    Shoddy Journalism, what else do you expect from the Guardian ;)

Coffee shops;)
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    why not just dump it on PickTV on all platforms? I'm confused?

Because PickTV on digital satellite is on a Europe-wide beam so the overspill would intrude into other countries. It was never going to be on a free satellite channel, its why its on Sky2, which is encrypted. Also denies Freesat viewers the chance to watch.
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Saturday Night Football' at 5.00 on an August afternoon?
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick G wrote: »
    'Saturday Night Football' at 5.00 on an August afternoon?

Well it is Saturday Night. What title do you expect them to cal it/

Saturday, not quite dusk when it finishes, August-October.

Saturday, its dark, just about when the clocks change.

Saturday, its been dark, for about an hour, around Christmas.

And then kinda reverse that for the days getting longer
  • Options
    M60M60 Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Because PickTV on digital satellite is on a Europe-wide beam so the overspill would intrude into other countries. It was never going to be on a free satellite channel, its why its on Sky2, which is encrypted. Also denies Freesat viewers the chance to watch.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. In this instance I guess they've done this to protect rights than deny it to Freesat customers with Pick not being spot-beam.

I bet the football will look great on Pick TV at about 1.6Mb/s SD video, will check it out on the 17th for a nosy via DTT!!
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    The picture quality of Pick TV on Freeview is appalling, so will give this a miss

I remember they down scaled Sky Sports News on a free weekend to a degree it looked worse than SSN SD a few years back. :eek:
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I notice how so many people were wishing Setanta and ESPN well. ESPN the multi bi-trillion dollar conglomorate no less.

Even if Sadam Hussein was in charge of a competitor to Sky , people will still have wished them just as well.

Setanta and ESPN soon fell by the wayside. BT will do so likewise and nurse a huge 100's million pound loss in the process.

For BT or anyone else to win the truly big fixtures off Sky, they are going to have to bid so much that they suffer irrecoverable losses.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    For BT or anyone else to win the truly big fixtures off Sky, they are going to have to bid so much that they suffer irrecoverable losses.
    The other problem for BT (or any emerging sports brand) is that if they continue to grow, there will come a point where they're no longer the "cheeky little upstart" but "Sky mk.2".

In other words, the more rights they pick up, the more like Sky they will become. Which in turn will make their launch pitch look stupid on top of stomach-churning.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    I notice how so many people were wishing Setanta and ESPN well. ESPN the multi bi-trillion dollar conglomorate no less.

Even if Sadam Hussein was in charge of a competitor to Sky , people will still have wished them just as well.

Setanta and ESPN soon fell by the wayside. BT will do so likewise and nurse a huge 100's million pound loss in the process.

ESPN and Setanta didn't have the broadband & telephony offering. The situation for BT is different as they can package these with the sports channel to offer cut-price deals to customers, just as Sky have been doing for the last few years. In that respect it is a game changer.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    The other problem for BT (or any emerging sports brand) is that if they continue to grow, there will come a point where they're no longer the "cheeky little upstart" but "Sky mk.2".

In other words, the more rights they pick up, the more like Sky they will become. Which in turn will make their launch pitch look stupid on top of stomach-churning.

BT will bankrupt themselves if they bid for and win the package that has Man United v Chelsea, Arsenal v Liverpool, Man United v Arsenal, Man City v Man United e.g. and the other massive big city derbies as Sky will be doing the tv rights bidding equivalent of poker's all in stake.