Sony Z tablet

dazpotdazpot Posts: 447
Forum Member
Any one got a Sony Z tablet and if so are they any good?

Comments

• cp2cp2 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought the Xperia Z tablet because:
    It had a 10" screen which is the size I wanted
    It wasn't Apple
    It had a MicroSD card socket
    It had decent resolution
    It seemed a safe bet for compatibility with apps like Sky Go and iplayer

Sky Go is now available, as is iplayer unlike some supposedly unrooted unbranded tablets that are much cheaper.

The tablet has effectively replaced my laptop for email and Internet browsing: serious apps like spreadsheets and databases I now do on my pc.

If you want a tablet that is virtually certain to be compatible with major apps buy Apple. If you're not fussed about Sky Go or iplayer (or don't want the hassle of trying to make them work) buy a budget tablet like Pipo or, say, from China direct.

The Sony has a very good display, has a better than reasonable chance of supporting major apps but is an expensive as Apple. The Sony charging cradle is really good though: you just slide it in and contactless connection points kick in.

At its price it is a bit of an indulgence but I'm happy with my choice.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got the z2. Great tablet. Very thin and light, and very fast and stable. Screen is nice and the battery is decent. Can't really ask for much more.

Drawbacks are the buttons at the bottom of the screen are too small and fiddly to hit, the battery while decent isn't as long lasting as the iPad air (But I'll let it off as you can do things on android that aren't easily possible on the iPad), and the quality of some android apps for tablets is lacking. Also the fact that some websites default to mobile mode can be irritating, you can request the desktop site in the browser but that's a pain to have to do it on every page you visit and it doesn't always work, the only cures if you can call it such is to root and force desktop user agent or use a different browser like Firefox or opera that let you do it by default. The latter issue is more to do with android than the Sony though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    dazpot wrote: »
    Any one got a Sony Z tablet and if so are they any good?
    It's good enough that after buying 4 tablets over the last 4 years, since getting the Sony Z I have no plans to buy another.Totally satisfied.