Options

Litter - is it a problem where you live?

Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With council cuts deepening and street cleansing often hit the hardest, have you noticed an increase in litter on your streets?

Also, is there regional differences in cleanliness? Northern towns and cities often seem dirtier, and living in West Yorkshire I can vouch for that. London always seems quite clean when I visit, and not just the central areas but the suburbs too.

What's the situation like where you are?

Comments

• Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    It's clean here in Woking.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I live, nearly all of the litter is left by school kids, Macdonald's customers and Polish lager drinkers (perhaps I should say drinkers of Polish lager). Skateboarders seem the worst, frequently leaving piles of litter behind, often within yards of a bin.

By way of contrast, Oxford is almost entirely litter-free.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    After the councils pest control shot the last Womble its been dreadful :(
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in a village and people throw their litter out of their car windows. There is often McDonald's crap all along the grass verge. The other day someone threw their newspaper out of their car window.
  • Options
    GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a big problem where I am. Most days all I need to do is step out the front door and see some kind of litter. Broken glass is also a huge problem.

It's pretty much all over the town where I live (although there are some better areas). The council is seldom seen cleaning it up and the Forestry Commission of Scotland does a sub-par job of clearing the woods of rubbish. There are the remains of an armchair that have been in the woods for years. I sent both the council and Forestry Commission photos of it and told them where to find it months ago, but it's still there. There are lots of other things that have been lying about for a good long while.

All the rubbish and fly tipping has really spoiled walks with my dogs. I have to be on the constant look out for broken glass and even the quieter areas that used to be cleaner and more pleasant to walk through are becoming bad for litter. New houses have been built on the other side of woodland near me and the litter there now is unbelievable.

The council recently spent thousands on a completely unnecessary new roundabout in my area and they bought dozens of brand new sit on grass cutters not that long ago, but they can't afford to pay staff to go around litter picking. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Where I live, nearly all of the litter is left by school kids, Macdonald's customers and Polish lager drinkers (perhaps I should say drinkers of Polish lager). Skateboarders seem the worst, frequently leaving piles of litter behind, often within yards of a bin.

By way of contrast, Oxford is almost entirely litter-free.

Are you up north by any chance? It sounds like here.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not a problem where I live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's shocking where I live. Chicken boxes and bones, vodka bottles, lager cans etc. We have a very annoying fly tipping problem too.
    I don't blame the council, we have a road sweeper working daily around our local parade of shops, and weekly in residential roads. But as soon as they pick something up, someone drops something else to replace it.

It's depressing tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    It's shocking where I live. Chicken boxes and bones, vodka bottles, lager cans etc. We have a very annoying fly tipping problem too.
    I don't blame the council, we have a road sweeper working daily around our local parade of shops, and weekly in residential roads. But as soon as they pick something up, someone drops something else to replace it.

It's depressing tbh.

And there was me thinking London was clean.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Some filthy pigs can't be bothered to use a litter bin locally. Rubbish everywhere! The dustmen are just as bad as they don't clear up any more either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting when you post to see which region of the country you're from, to see if a pattern emerges.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Litter is very bad in parts of Folkestone and especially anywhere which has nice sea views. The more picturesque the more rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Litter is very bad in parts of Folkestone and especially anywhere which has nice sea views. The more picturesque the more rubbish.

Actually, I do remember getting off the train at Folkestone Central once and it was quite dirty.

Sandgate though is lovely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do any of you Southerners notice a drop in cleanliness when you come up north?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    And there was me thinking London was clean.

It's not so bad in the City or "up town" as I call it. But where I am, in Barking, it's a growing problem. I have a mate who cleans up outside Barking station, and by the time she walks from one entrance to the other picking up all the rubbish [which is only about 20 feet] the area is completely trashed again.

I used to do an early shift on weekends and be at the station at 7am for my train and the amount of trash was astounding. TBF the litter bins were overflowing, so maybe the council is a bit to blame, in that they could provide more bins.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrific. Idiots basically cant be arsed to keep food waste separate from the rest, resulting in seagulls doing their bit
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in the country but near an open prison. When the prisoners come back from work on the works bus they often pick up a takeaway which they aren't allowed to have. So - they will dispose of the wrapping by slinging it out of the bus window. Our verges are full of McDonalds and KFC wrappers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not so bad in the City or "up town" as I call it. But where I am, in Barking, it's a growing problem. I have a mate who cleans up outside Barking station, and by the time she walks from one entrance to the other picking up all the rubbish [which is only about 20 feet] the area is completely trashed again.

I used to do an early shift on weekends and be at the station at 7am for my train and the amount of trash was astounding. TBF the litter bins were overflowing, so maybe the council is a bit to blame, in that they could provide more bins.

Is this fairly typical of East London generally would you say?
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    In general litter is not bad around where I live, but the two routes most used by kids to get to the local school are bad.

Much of it is down to parents. When I was at school, I often saw kids pass wrappers to parent who then threw it off to their side.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in Leeds and the city centre is always clean and tidy.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most streets around my street are mostly litter-free. There is a litter problem in streets around a local school and a tube station roughly five minutes' walk away, though.
    Do any of you Southerners notice a drop in cleanliness when you come up north?

The north seems same as the south to me. Some parts are spotless and some aren't. Sometimes, it varies from one street to another within one area.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in Leeds and the city centre is always clean and tidy.

It is, but many of its suburbs aren't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Don't really see a problem with litter, but dog muck is a problem , totally disgusting. People shouldn't have dogs if they don't clean up after them. Iv a 2 and 3 year old and always paranoid they will stand on it. Awful!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this fairly typical of East London generally would you say?

I would say it is, yes. I have family and friends further into the East End, East Ham, Canning Town, Hackney for example. And the problem is just as bad there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say it is, yes. I have family and friends further into the East End, East Ham, Canning Town, Hackney for example. And the problem is just as bad there.

I watched Secret Millionaire recently (an old episode) and it was in Hackney. It looked really clean, and whenever you see London suburbs on TV, including bad areas, they always look spotless.

That said, I've seen East Ham on Google Maps and it didn't look very clean there.