Are Rihanna and P!nk more iconic than Britney Spears?

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

Actually they have both sold the same amount (both less than Dire Straits)!

Can you not read? Those are record sales which include albums, singles, and videos. I said Britney has sold more albums than Rihanna which is true. Rihanna's album sales dont come close to Britney's . Let's also keep in mind, Rihanna has had more singles than Britney has as well and she has the most digital downloads of all time, but even so, she still can't shift Britney's album numbers. People are willing to spend a dollar twenty nine on her, but they have no problems paying ten bucks for a Britney album
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most people would struggle to name 3 Britney songs, admittedly it's the same with the other two mentioned in the thread title as well - if that's a definition of icon thesedays....
    That's pretty deluded. Even someone who hates Britney could name more than 3. To the general public, it'd be BOMT, Oops. Slave 4 U, Toxic, Gimme More and Womanizer (at a stretch).
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    Can you not read? Those are record sales which include albums, singles, and videos. I said Britney has sold more albums than Rihanna which is true. Rihanna's album sales dont come close to Britney's . Let's also keep in mind, Rihanna has had more singles than Britney has as well and she has the most digital downloads of all time, but even so, she still can't shift Britney's album numbers. People are willing to spend a dollar twenty nine on her, but they have no problems paying ten bucks for a Britney album

rihanna will not catch up with britney`s album sales any time soon, she probably never will. however, britney`s album sales have been in decline for some years now. the britney phenomenon ended years ago on the scale that it was back then and now she continues to perform well, domestically especially.

not many people could argue that britney is an icon. however, lets be real here, not even britney can shift albums like she did at the height of her powers or a substantial fraction of them even.:o she`s certainly not the album seller she was and even she is shifting more singles than albums these days.
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rebellion wrote: »

BRITNEY IS POP CULTURE!

Britney hasnt been pop culture in years.

I dont really like the phrase "iconic" I think its bandied about way too often to people who will never really be it. Though if we do use that term here then Britney is the most iconic.

If we use the term "talented" instead however (which I think is a much better way to do it), then out of the three mentioned, Pink is by far and away the most talented.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney is a icon in the US but the americans like also Las Vegas and American Wrestling.
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney is more iconic for sure even now.

But I think that Pink is the only one who can really sing live... and she releases the music that I like best. I have never understood why she is not bigger tbh.

I liked pop princess britney, but her endeavour in the electronic music field are not as much my cup of tea.
    Rihanna sells the best right now (or doesn't she?), but she'd be forgotten if she stopped releasing stuff as regularily as whe does IMO.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,257
    Forum Member
    IMO Rihanna and Pink are better but Britney is FAR more iconic than both combined.

YES! Completely agree!
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,257
    Forum Member
    O.Michel wrote: »
    Christina Aguilera and Justin Timberlake are iconic too. Not as singificant to pop culture as Britney, but certainly more memorable than Rihanna and Pink.

Um. No. Perhaps if Justin went back to music & Xtina made albums that more than 3 men & dog brought, but until then......
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pink. She's not iconic and probably never will be. She's a very odd artist in the respect that she's talented & credible and without a doubt one of best live performers of this generation however she isn't that 'famous'. She is hardly ever in mags/papers/on TV, she's hardly spoke about but yet she sells millions. It's very odd indeed.

It's odd that her success has come off the back of her talent and hard work? I don't think that's odd, I think that's great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    No and never will be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it really matter? They all seem to pretty much have someone else do the work for them anyway.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it really matter? They all seem to pretty much have someone else do the work for them anyway.

Pink has someone else do the work for her?!
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    None of them are iconic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Personally, I think Rihanna constantly churning out music lessens her credibility and I just can't see her being classed as an 'icon' in the future. P!nk meanwhile has the credibility but seems to lack the following that the other two have. I don't think either of these two could touch Britney in terms of status even though she is on the decline, she seems to have the x factor (cringe) that the other two lack.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched her Loud tour earlier and i changed my mind a little in that under this constant media glare and ever increasing back catalogue we have as yet had time to digest Rihanna and look at her without bias. As with Britney most wrote her off as not lasting the course and being forgotten. Yet she is held up as a pop pehnomena and people are still interested and want to talk about her so time will see with Rihanna. As for p!nk i just don't see her being as revered if remebered she just doesn't have that star quality and interest that the others exude even if she is much more talented.