A classic arthouse film on BBC4 tonight!

montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yes BBC4 are finally showing that rarely shown classic The Swarm with Michael Caine! :D

I can only guess they showing it because of the preceding documentary called Spider House, but even so the justification for showing on a serious channel seems to be a bit tenuous at best.

I always remember an interview with Michale Caine many years ago where he said he didn't get the respect that he deserved and I always thought that was probably because he spent a lot of of the 80s doing any old shite if the price was right. Who can forget those other 80s Caine classics such as Jaws The Revenge and Water.

Comments

• FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I actually paid to watch that film in the cinema.

However, The Swarm is always best remembered by me as the film that Clive James would take the piss out of every week on the TV show Saturday Night People (along with Janet Street-Porter & Russell Harty).

I hope Clive is feeling well enough tonight to watch it.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes BBC4 are finally showing that rarely shown classic The Swarm with Michael Caine! :D

I can only guess they showing it because of the preceding documentary called Spider House, but even so the justification for showing on a serious channel seems to be a bit tenuous at best.

I always remember an interview with Michale Caine many years ago where he said he didn't get the respect that he deserved and I always thought that was probably because he spent a lot of of the 80s doing any old shite if the price was right. Who can forget those other 80s Caine classics such as Jaws The Revenge and Water.

The Swarm was released in 1978.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,493
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    The Swarm was released in 1978.

I don't think it was released - it escaped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member

Nothing wrong with water.a pretty funny film.Leonard rossiters last work before he died.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with water.a pretty funny film.Leonard rossiters last work before he died.

To be honest I haven't seen it, I'd just heard that it was pretty poor. I remember it mainly because That's Life reporter Paul Heiney had a acting role in it as part of his In At The Deep End TV series.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    This often comes up about Caine, and though it's true he's signed up for some right old shockers over the years (The Island a particular favourite), his career is littered with some sterling performances - some well known (i.e. Educating Rita), some more tucked away (i.e. The Quiet American). I know it sounds like he's just whingeing, but he also has a point.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This often comes up about Caine, and though it's true he's signed up for some right old shockers over the years (The Island a particular favourite), his career is littered with some sterling performances - some well known (i.e. Educating Rita), some more tucked away (i.e. The Quiet American). I know it sounds like he's just whingeing, but he also has a point.

To be honest when I was looking on IMDB at the films he did in the 80s, I had forgotten that as well as the trash he had also worked in some gems like Educating Rita, Mona Lisa, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Hannah and her Sisters
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    To be honest I haven't seen it, I'd just heard that it was pretty poor. I remember it mainly because That's Life reporter Paul Heiney had a acting role in it as part of his In At The Deep End TV series.

I had forgotten about that.it was turn about each week with him and Chris Searle.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I had forgotten about that.it was turn about each week with him and Chris Searle.

Found it on BBC Genome - 24th Oct 1984 - http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/b6743abac35d410da9636ed21b3e05c8
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recorded this (yep I was shocked to see it in the listings on BBC Four rather than ITV 4) and shall enjoy it at my leisure :)
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest when I was looking on IMDB at the films he did in the 80s, I had forgotten that as well as the trash he had also worked in some gems like Educating Rita, Mona Lisa, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Hannah and her Sisters
    Educating Rita, what a great film - he was so so good in that and the chemistry between him and Julie Walters - who was also terrific - was fantastic.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmmmm ... is it not "complementing" the 2 parts swarm documentary (2 bees or not 2 bees) ?daft choice for bbc 4, agreed.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who can forget the mother of all shite, The Hand (1981). To be fair to Caine, he has always said he was happy to take the money for any old rubbish back then, as it would enable him to do low budget projects which took his fancy.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,493
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    Who can forget the mother of all shite, The Hand (1981). To be fair to Caine, he has always said he was happy to take the money for any old rubbish back then, as it would enable him to do low budget projects which took his fancy.

He once said of Jaws IV that he'd never seen it, but he'd heard it was rather terrible. On the other hand he had seen the house it paid for, and it was rather nice.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »

Oh, I find that interesting. Which low budget projects?

To me, he never seems the sort that plans their career with care. His best roles came from the days when he was seen as the first choice or the last resort. I can't think of any role/project that he actually went after. Even Get Carter. I'd love to know which low budget projects he did go after.