Options

Kelly Clarkson belting a C6!!!!!!!!

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    See, I disagree. Heh. Christina's belts are sometimes very strained and she always goes into a run to go down to a lower note when she hits the top of her range. There are note by note comparisons of Kelly and Christina on youtube, they're pretty unbiased and Kelly comes out of it a lot better. It just depends on the performances I guess.

Watch this video.... it's a very fair analysis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbfBV7wCoaA

I think that the three you mentioned can do more with their voice than Kelly in terms of runs and holding notes. However, I think Kelly has a better tone. She also has a better upper register than Leona and Christina, and is far more versatile than both of them. She can sing most genres, and that's no easy feat. She's not shouty unless the song calls for it. It can't be denied that she has a powerful voice.

You have to catch her on a good day though. With the G5's and A5's (Leona and Christina haven't hit an A5 yet) there is a lot of clarity depending on the performance.

Again you refer to having a ''better tone'' which is subjective. Leona has a different type of tone which is more usual of a lyric soprano- lighter, and very pure. How does this mean she has a worse tone than kelly who imo sounds very harsh- others prefer kellys tone so it is obviously subjective. I just dont see how you can claim one minute that it doest matter if leona can hit high notes and alex cant because they have different ranges, alex being alto and leona soprano, but then go on to claim alex has better tone than leona because the nature of her voice 'alto' means she has a deeper timbre??:confused: Very convenient to your argument ;)

Im not an expert on the classification of singers voices, i just know what i like and what wows me and i prefer all three to kelly as i find her harsh and her high notes very screechy so im nbot bothered if she has managed to hit c6, c7 and so on, although i do recognise her talent! Also alexs voice doesnt wow me, whether she has a 'better tone' or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    utoia2007 wrote: »
    Again you refer to having a ''better tone'' which is subjective. Leona has a different type of tone which is more usual of a lyric soprano- lighter, and very pure. How does this mean she has a worse tone than kelly who imo sounds very harsh- others prefer kellys tone so it is obviously subjective. I just dont see how you can claim one minute that it doest matter if leona can hit high notes and alex cant because they have different ranges, alex being alto and leona soprano, but then go on to claim alex has better tone than leona because the nature of her voice 'alto' means she has a deeper timbre??:confused: Very convenient to your argument ;)Im not an expert on the classification of singers voices, i just know what i like and what wows me and i prefer all three to kelly as i find her harsh and her high notes very screechy so im nbot bothered if she has managed to hit c6, c7 and so on, although i do recognise her talent! Also alexs voice doesnt wow me, whether she has a 'better tone' or not.

To be honest I think you pulled that out of your arse because I categorically did not say that at all. :D This is what I said:

******See, I appreciate Leona and Alexandra for their voices, but I feel as though both of them are also a tad overrated.

Alex has a great tone but an average range. I agree with what you say about Leona's tone, but she can do far more many things with her voice than Alexandra can.

To me, there is a big difference between having a great voice and being a great singer. With these two singers, Alex and the great voice whilst Leona is the great singer**********

I am not a fan of Alex and whilst I do think she has a great voice, she is a pretty average singer compared to Leona and Kelly.

Of course tone is subjective. Technical skill isn't. Being able to belt high notes is technical skill, which is factual. Kelly's high notes are very precise when she is on form. The fact that she can go so high is a testament to her technical skill.

When you throw everything together, I think Kelly has more technical strength than Leona, and is therefore a better vocalist regardless of tone.
  • Options
    Arsene wengerArsene wenger Posts: 4,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Kelly is pretty overrated tbh. I do like her voice but she does get a little screechy for me... but I suppose it works because she is so successful. :) FYI, I do like her tho.