02 won't let me call 101.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 573
Forum Member
✭✭
101 is the free number to call when reporting anti-social behaviour and other non-emergency crimes. I've used it a few times before on little/no credit with no problems but now whenever I try to use it O2 diverts the call to their top up line.

Anyone know why this is and how I can sort it?

Comments

• Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    101 is the free number to call when reporting anti-social behaviour and other non-emergency crimes. I've used it a few times before on little/no credit with no problems but now whenever I try to use it O2 diverts the call to their top up line.

Here's why:
    What does it cost to call 101?

Calls to 101 (from both landlines and mobile networks) cost 15 pence per call, no matter what time of day you call, or how long you are on the phone.

http://www.police.uk/101
  • thebennyboythebennyboy Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I believe operators are now allowed to charge for it. Here is an article of daily mail about it. The charge is 15p from what i've heard. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2065288/15p-charge-calling-police-New-cost-101-hotline-report-minor-crimes.html

EDIT: Damn, beaten to it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very strange. I've called lots of times and it was free then. On mobile and pay phone
  • beecartbeecart Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    101 costs from mob and ll 15p per call
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very strange. I've called lots of times and it was free then. On mobile and pay phone

There were some trials that were free in some regions, then when it was launched there's the flat rate charge.

I've pointed you to the official police website where it says 15p per call.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    There were some trials that were free in some regions, then when it was launched there's the flat rate charge.

I've pointed you to the official police website where it says 15p per call.

Okay, I accept its 15p now. It's just that as late as last month I was making free calls and now I can't. News stories relating to the added charge are dated from late 2011/early 2012 so excuse my confusion as I've not heard anything about the charge. I have spoken to local constables re: my use of the number and they didn't mention anything about a 15p cost (I'm sure they stressed it was free but now I doubt myself)
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How often are you ringing 101,how quick do they answer , when you used to get through ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like you are ringing them a lot! I worry how much all this costs tax payers, you've always been able to call your local police on a local number. I don't think it will reduce 999 calls at all, it'll just encourage people to use more police resource over trivial matters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How often are you ringing 101,how quick do they answer , when you used to get through ?

I last called them a few weeks ago. When anti-social behaviour was it its peak I called about twice a week for a month.
    I've not had to do that lately because things have improved a lot. Remarkable when you consider the clocks going back and the spring weather. They answered fairly quickly.
    Sounds like you are ringing them a lot! I worry how much all this costs tax payers, you've always been able to call your local police on a local number. I don't think it will reduce 999 calls at all, it'll just encourage people to use more police resource over trivial matters.

I think I've saved the taxpayer money by reporting vandalism, fires, etc. A few houses have had their windows broken by kids which must be fixed by the council (their housing).

More people are going to the shops because kids aren't loitering there anymore.

Some people just don't bother getting involved. Especially the elderly who don't like making a fuss even though they tend to be affected most.

They don't send riot squads over to deal with ASB. Just a few CSOs to move kids on and take details. I wouldn't call it a waste.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what is your local force? i can look for a normal number
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Simply. If 101 now charges use 999/112, if necessary say why.

No, only use 999 in an emergency
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Save 15 pence and waste emergency police resource and operators whose priority is life and death with your 101 issues while somebody is trying to get through to the police to inform them of an attacker on premises or a real life threatening situation:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do not be a jack off. 999 if for life or death or crimes in progress
  • Nick_LondonNick_London Posts: 486
    Forum Member

Its free from landlines and payphones. From mobile phones it is is usually a flat rate charge. The 112/999 service remains free of charge. 101 is provided by Vodafone formerly Cable and Wireless. Emergency services is also provided by Vodafone Cable and Wireless on Virgin Media landlines and T-Mobile phones.

All this 111,112,116 and 118 numbers is Europe wide strategy and is being forced upon the UK by the EU government. It clearly doesn't work!

118 numbers. Since 192 was withdrawn BT 118500 is now around £2 per minute and 118118 is also nearly the same. The problem is, people think 118118 is the new number for 192 and meaning competition is low. You also have phone companies ripping us off. My landline is with EE and they charged me nearly £4 for calling 118707 which costs just 29p flat rate from a BT landline. Just think 192 was once free and was free from a BT payphone up until 1999. The problem is, most of these services are going as there is no demand for them and feel that the old 192 system should be brought back.

111. This service has been controversial since it started and has been nothing but hassle. It should be withdrawn.

I refuse to use 101, if I see any anti social behaviour I ring 999 straight away. 101 is an excuse to cut costs and corners and to ignore requests for help.

Why waste my time and sometimes money ringing 101 when my complaint will be ignored or filed away.

For many decades the UK survived without such silly services and rather investing in 101, they want to put it on 999 and more ambulances.

The EU government needs to realise the UK has its own way of running and we do things our way. The UK needs to get rid of the EU as they are damaging this country.
    Forum Member
    beecart wrote: »
    Do not be a jack off. 999 if for life or death or crimes in progress

For many years before 101 it was possible. People will ignore what's happening around them and its a spiral leading to more anti social behaviour. More police on the streets,more people answering the phones at 999 and more money spent on the ambulance service with less a&e closures and GPs on call, you wouldn't need 101 and 111.

People have already died because of these new numbers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its free from landlines and payphones. .

Wrong, it's 15p from landlines, see:

What does it cost to call 101?

Calls to 101 (from both landlines and mobile networks) cost 15 pence per call, no matter what time of day you call, or how long you are on the phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    15p is not really bank breaking is it? people spend more than that when they text shows like the voice, brit got talent, xfactor etc.

The police have always had a non-emerg number, usually at 0845 rates. 999 has always been for emergencies but people abuse it.

Simples - 999 emergency / crime in progress & 101 is non emergency - it's a single non emergency number so if you say live in Manchester and travel to Liverpool you don't have to know two non emergency numbers
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    @ Nick_London - only use 999 for emergency's and nothing else. That's what they are there for - not reporting of non-emergency problem.

Also - despite the reported problems 111 could be very good - so I can't see the point of shutting it down as that would just waste more money. I'd rather it was improved on that disposed of.
    Forum Member
    Wrong, it's 15p from landlines, see:

Well I've once used the service from a BT payphone and it was free and another time from my EE landline and it never appeared on my bill. Unless EE have decided not to charge customers for it like most calling features. EE pricing is weird as they seem to have charged me nearly £4 for calling a 118 number that normally costs 29p from a BT landline.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just came across this as I'm in the middle of switching landline operator and my mobile won't call 101. I tolerated 2 hours of rabble outside but when I tried to report it I kept being told to call 101?? I followed a number on a link and it still connected me to emergency services! Thankfully they were quite understanding and are sending someone out.

Eta..whoa old thread!
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its free from landlines and payphones. From mobile phones it is is usually a flat rate charge. The 112/999 service remains free of charge. 101 is provided by Vodafone formerly Cable and Wireless. Emergency services is also provided by Vodafone Cable and Wireless on Virgin Media landlines and T-Mobile phones.

All this 111,112,116 and 118 numbers is Europe wide strategy and is being forced upon the UK by the EU government. It clearly doesn't work!

118 numbers. Since 192 was withdrawn BT 118500 is now around £2 per minute and 118118 is also nearly the same. The problem is, people think 118118 is the new number for 192 and meaning competition is low. You also have phone companies ripping us off. My landline is with EE and they charged me nearly £4 for calling 118707 which costs just 29p flat rate from a BT landline. Just think 192 was once free and was free from a BT payphone up until 1999. The problem is, most of these services are going as there is no demand for them and feel that the old 192 system should be brought back.

111. This service has been controversial since it started and has been nothing but hassle. It should be withdrawn.

I refuse to use 101, if I see any anti social behaviour I ring 999 straight away. 101 is an excuse to cut costs and corners and to ignore requests for help.

Why waste my time and sometimes money ringing 101 when my complaint will be ignored or filed away.

For many decades the UK survived without such silly services and rather investing in 101, they want to put it on 999 and more ambulances.

The EU government needs to realise the UK has its own way of running and we do things our way. The UK needs to get rid of the EU as they are damaging this country.

I think it's doing very well damaging itself with the booze culture, teenage pregnancies, drug use etc. Come up with a negative list and you can normally be sure UK is somewhere at the top.
    It would be funny to see some people's faces, if the UK did quite the EU and they believe everything will turn out danddy.
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15p is a lot if you don't have a penny. If you have no credit on your mobile and you need to report a crime and your unable to dial 101 dial 999 if you have to. If I was walking down the road tomorrow and watched as someone threw a brick through a parked car windscreen and I was unable to dial 101 then I would dial 999 and report the crime!

Maybe then they will make sure that 101 was free!

All those moaning would probably be glad I did dial 999 if it was their car windscreen that got damaged and moan if I just walked on after a failed 101 call.

Calls to report crimes should not be chargeable.

Complaints about anti sociable behaviour can wait until you top up.
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    if the UK did quite the EU and they believe everything will turn out danddy.

Trouble is everything was just dandy before we joined the EU.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is everything was just dandy before we joined the EU.

That right and at least it will be of our doing and not some faceless little pipsqueak in Brussels.