Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 32)

Comments

• Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be that surprised if ITV don't move BGT to 7pm. The fact is, they have pushed the start date back to March 24th to damage The Voice, that much is obvious. So if that's what they want to do, it makes no sense starting BGT well after The Voice begins. So as irritating as it might well be, a 7pm start followed by Take Me Out might be possible.

For the BBC, they must want to avoid a clash as much as possible, but they really won't want it starting before 7 either. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out...
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the press front, the embargoes for Voice expire Monday, but BGTs end (although liable to change) on March 27.

On the Voice, they sent out some preview clips today, embargoed as above so I can't say much and it looks so much better on TV. Can't wait to see how it does again BGT, I wouldn't be too shocked if there's an upset..
  • Options
    UpInMyFaceUpInMyFace Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    As for The Voice vs Britain's Got Talent, apart from swapping BGT and Take Me Out around potentially, I don't think they have much room for manoeuvre.

Unless ITV take the lead and move BGT to an 8.30pm start. Although that will never happen.

The Beeb might move The Voice to 7pm.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    UpInMyFace wrote: »
    There is no ''This'' about it at all because as pointed out several times that rating isn't bad for what Emmerdale gets usually.

The fact some people still can't understand this amazes me. Emmerdale doesn't normally pull in the figures EastEnders does so Emmerdale doesn't even come into the discussion.
    DELETED Can't be Bothered
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Under 7 million in Feb is Brilliant:rolleyes:
    Not that i actually give a F*ck though im just stating a fact.

For Emmerdale its consistant though. EastEnders under 8 million in Feb however isn't.

Now do you understand what people are saying about the ratings for EastEnders?

Granted these are only overnights and EE does tend to rise in the officials (something that has to be taken into account) but the issue is still there in that its lower than usual.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember Eldorado (i submitted material for it), that was once mocked for its scripts acting ect but it did pull things around and was attaining ratings in the region of 9-10 million before the axe fell, Eastenders can see those numbers again but it will take time and a change of production team for it to happen.
    I think only the final episode of Eldorado got back to about 10m. The other episodes leading to the climax didn't rate as well as that, even though some of them had their weekday repeats added to the viewing figures.

Its quality improved tremendously for its final six months, but the ratings were slower to react.
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Thank youThank you Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EastEnders fanatics only use the over nights when the show rates poorly on first showing, the excuses that reflect EastEnders falling ratings recently have been people having barbecues which is one of the most pathetic excuses I've ever heard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you wrote: »
    EastEnders fanatics only use the over nights when the show rates poorly on first showing, the excuses that reflect EastEnders falling ratings recently have been people having barbecues which is one of the most pathetic excuses I've ever heard.

The fact EastEnders does seem to rise pretty well in the officials is something that cannot be ignored.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever time Talent starts, I'd expect Voice to get on air fifteen or thirty minutes earlier, so it all depends on how damagingly early ITV are prepared to air their biggest show of the spring. The only way ITV would be able to match Voice's start time would be starting it at about 5.45pm, like they used to with Factor when they didn't want Strictly starting first.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,763
    Forum Member
    But its a well known fact that people often have barbecues in February and March, especially during Eastenders...
  • Options
    Thank youThank you Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UpInMyFace wrote: »
    The fact EastEnders does seem to rise pretty well in the officials is something that cannot be ignored.

Same goes for its current state which some fans can't see shouldn't be ignored either, but it just gets sweep under the carpet you can't have it both ways.

You just ignored the fact Emmerdale rating was even worse yet you are questioning Eastenders ratings, but not taking Emmerdale poor rating into account make your mind up. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The BBC can't whine about trying to avoid a clash now - if they wanted to miss Britain's Got Talent they would schedule so The Voice finished by 8.20pm by the very latest; at least they'd be able to argue that that was Britain's Got Talent launch time last year.

What did the BBC expect exactly? That ITV would allow The Voice a three week headstart over Britain's Got Talent and then move in into a horrible slot just so the BBC could get their own way with The Voice???

I'm not sure why ITV should budge on the issue. The BBC didn't budge with Strictly in the autumn and allowed it to constantly run beyond 8pm (any clashes before 8pm were ITV's fault).

We're going to see another game of childish brinkmanship and again it's down to the BBC trying to act as a commercial enterprise. The BBC broadcasts more good than bad, but when they get it wrong it can be as spectacular as commercial TV. And I'd hold this view even if The Voice averages 20m each show - it's not something the commercial sector is struggling to cover so why are the BBC having a go at it at great expense when they're making cuts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    The BBC didn't budge with Strictly in the autumn and allowed it to constantly run beyond 8pm (any clashes before 8pm were ITV's fault).
    What's that? Fudd's Law, or something? Have you informed the broadcasters of their Fudd's Law obligations?

They're both free to schedule their talent shows such as Talent and Voice where they like, even if it doesn't make ratings and/or commercial sense to start them too early in the evening in springtime.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's that? Fudd's Law, or something? Have you informed the broadcasters of their Fudd's Law obligations?

They're both free to schedule their talent shows such as Talent and Voice where they like, even if it doesn't make ratings and/or commercial sense to start them too early in the evening in springtime.

Maybe 'fault' was the wrong word. I should've said ITV instigated the clash when airing The X Factor before 8pm.

Saying that, I'm slightly more biased towards ITV in this case because I'm not 100% sure why the BBC are spending huge sums of money on light entertainment in a recession when the commercial sector covers the genre well enough on it's own. And I'm sure if the BBC hadn't picked it up, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 or Sky would've done so it's not as though the UK would've missed out.

EDIT: And obviously the broadcasters haven't been informed of Fudd's Law obligations - if they had we wouldn't be having this debate. :rolleyes:;):p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same goes for its current state which some fans can't see shouldn't be ignored either, but it just gets sweep under the carpet you can't have it both ways.

You just ignored the fact Emmerdale rating was even worse yet you are questioning Eastenders ratings, but not taking Emmerdale poor rating into account make your mind up. :rolleyes:

I didn't ignore anything. Emmerdale is still consistant within its own region of regular figures. EastEnders, on overnights, isn't but does time shift well.

I haven't said there isn't issues with EE. I've said quite the opposite infact but can't lie about the ratings. The officials have to count too and they do suggest things aren't as bad on second glance. Its overnights however are lower than usual and many of its recent shares have been terrible.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    fodg09 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/#!/mirrorjeffers

7.15 seems an odd start time.

ITV shooting themselves in the foot if that is the case. Either schedule BGT to time with the end of The Voice or start them at the same time if they're that bothered about damaging it. Starting it 30 minutes in is not going to do ITV any favours at all.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope we get ratings for a certain channel launch that occurs in 45 minutes through in the morning. ;)
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Hope we get ratings for a certain channel launch that occurs in 45 minutes through in the morning. ;)
    Sky might be regrettting axing Sky Living Loves to make way for it when those ratings come in.

Back to BGT v The Voice - obviously we all know provisionals change, and actually it could be a deliberate ITV ploy to make it look like they're moving BGT for the good of the viewer if it ends up at 8.30pm next week. They might have got away with it if they'd put BGT at 8pm to try and force a 7pm or 6.45pm start for The Voice - but the BBC aren't going to be pushed back to 6.30pm.

I still think The Voice would take a bigger hit from Take Me Out than Britains Got Talent. Any overlap with The Voice will hurt BGT more - but if BGT could start as The Voice finishes they might actually get a ratings boost.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh for god sakes, E4 is being very petty with the todays Digiguide update, new episodes of The Big Bang Theory should return on 29th March, and what do you know, the slot is TBA.

Do smaller channels like E4 really benefit from such games?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Maybe 'fault' was the wrong word. I should've said ITV instigated the clash when airing The X Factor before 8pm.

Saying that, I'm slightly more biased towards ITV in this case because I'm not 100% sure why the BBC are spending huge sums of money on light entertainment in a recession when the commercial sector covers the genre well enough on it's own. And I'm sure if the BBC hadn't picked it up, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 or Sky would've done so it's not as though the UK would've missed out.

EDIT: And obviously the broadcasters haven't been informed of Fudd's Law obligations - if they had we wouldn't be having this debate. :rolleyes:;):p
    :)

Whatever happens with the scheduling, I hope we don't end up with one or both shows starting ridiculously early every week.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    In that new trailer for The Voice, is it just me or is Tom Jones really irritating? Ditto will.i.am actually. The show hasn't even started yet and the judges - sorry, coaches (wouldn't want to upset Jessie J, regular Ratings Thread reader) - seem full of it.

I also wouldn't say the trailer does a particularly good job of showing off how "totally unique" it is. It just looks like a mashup of successful elements of existing programmes like X Factor, Britain's Got Talent and even Dragons' Den.

There might be a lot of loud noise coming out of the BBC about this show, but the proof is in the pudding and I've been distinctly unimpressed by the marketing for it so far. All style no substance springs to mind.
  • Options
    FlannyFlanny Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What channel is replacing Sky Living loves??
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Flanny wrote: »
    What channel is replacing Sky Living loves??
    Judging by Brekkie's post, Sky F1.

Vroom, vroom. (spoiler alert)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Talent going to end a few weeks earlier this year?
This discussion has been closed.