Nintendo Announces 2DS

Comments

• Scrufox86Scrufox86 Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    This has to ave been mentioned hundreds of times but...

You are forgetting US prices are quoted excluding sales tax.

£110 is £91.67 excluding VAT and $142.26. So we are paying £7.90 more than the US.

Having said that, if I was buying one tomorrow I would pay £20 more and get the 3DS.

Oh that makes more sense. So UK price is with VAT but the US price is before any tax. I never knew the US prices stated that way so it does explain a lot thanks.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrufox86 wrote: »
    Oh that makes more sense. So UK price is with VAT but the US price is before any tax. I never knew the US prices stated that way so it does explain a lot thanks.

Yeah it's the same with everything sold in the USA because every state has a different tax rate.
  • AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meh, looks ugly, I'll be getting the original 3DS in October.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AxG wrote: »
    Meh, looks ugly, I'll be getting the original 3DS in October.

It's a shame really because I find the idea of a cheaper 3DS without the 3D appealing. It's not even the look that puts me off the most, it's the size!
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh...I just got a 3DS a couple of days ago and, as the 3D effect doesn't work on me, I could've been the one customer for the 2DS! :p
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its kind of growing on me now, im not keen on 3d anyway...wonder if it ships with a charger?:o

it does ship with a charger apparently..

£109....i think this will sell....how embarrasing for Sony if this thing blows the Vita out of the water :o
  • jsg34jsg34 Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    The 2DS has just a single screen display (although the plastic case makes it appear to be 2 screens) - I guess this explains the design and presumably also the cheaper cost.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its kind of growing on me now, im not keen on 3d anyway...wonder if it ships with a charger?:o

it does ship with a charger apparently..

£109....i think this will sell....how embarrasing for Sony if this thing blows the Vita out of the water :o

Well, it comes out the same time as the new Pokemon games. With a bundle, it's going to sell extremely, extremely well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsg34 wrote: »
    The 2DS has just a single screen display (although the plastic case makes it appear to be 2 screens) - I guess this explains the design and presumably also the cheaper cost.

Where did you read that?

EDIT: I found it http://www.usgamer.net/articles/oh-so-thats-nintendos-next-move
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no my 3DS is broke it wont close, this is not for me I could not carry that thing around lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no my 3DS is broke it wont close, this is not for me I could not carry that thing around lol

Yeah I think it's intention is young kids, adults are probably more likely to buy the 3DS.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Yeah I think it's intention is young kids, adults are probably more likely to by the 3DS.

It does like a good learning gadget, the way it's shaped, it is cool for children.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eh, I certainly won't be getting it.
    Still very happy with my original 3DS.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the 2DS is a terrible idea by any means. I think a budget system that can still play all the DS and 3DS library (albeit not in 3D) is pretty smart actually but I do think for a budget system the UK price is a bit high, I think they would have done much better if they could get it under the £100 mark i.e. £99.99, it's only a tenner but it 'feels' a lot more it's like the 99p or £1.09 in a supermarket, it isn't much more but it feels like it is.

On the other hand, it does mark a (unsurprising) move away from 3D, almost like an admittance the 3D wasn't as successful as they had hoped, which is a bit of a shame as it is the one major advantage over the Vita. Of course there will still be 3D games, but I also think it could lead to developers being more careful in their application of it so as not to disadvantage those using the 2DS (or 3DS with 3D off).
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsg34 wrote: »
    The 2DS has just a single screen display

Assuming that it will play all the old DS games and not just ones made specifically for the 2DS, how's that going to work?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    Assuming that it will play all the old DS games and not just ones made specifically for the 2DS, how's that going to work?

Its one big screen split in to two small screens, it will work the exact same way as the 3DS works. The downside is that it can't fold like the 3DS does.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm... How "3D" was the 3D effects? I never got the original 3DS and it would seem like a waste buying a 3D game if the effects will be 2D on the new console. It looks nice though, different from the flip screens. What would really be cool if the next one slides open.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lym wrote: »
    Just seen this, thought it was a joke at first :eek:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/nintendo-announces-2ds?abthid=521e14f7cdb509a163000008

Don't really see the point since the 3DS has a slider...

What exactly is the point in this?

If I wanted to play 2D games id just play on a DS.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just, reluctantly sold my 3ds (case flow problems.)

I wasn't really using it games, except the old nes/ gameboy ones I'd downloaded.

I was using the camera, and the colours art package, though....

I might have to indulge this christmas....
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... How "3D" was the 3D effects? I never got the original 3DS and it would seem like a waste buying a 3D game if the effects will be 2D on the new console. It looks nice though, different from the flip screens. What would really be cool if the next one slides open.

They're very, very good. Admittedly, there is a very narrow sweet spot and you can tend to lose it quite rapidly as you get tired, but it makes the games really pop.

Saying that, though, I have it turned off quite a lot because keeping that sweet spot means you can't always lounge like a lump:o

I'd much rather have a 3DS and be able to turn 3D off, than that slab.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just, reluctantly sold my 3ds (case flow problems.)

I wasn't really using it games, except the old nes/ gameboy ones I'd downloaded.

I was using the camera, and the colours art package, though....

I might have to indulge this christmas....

I didnt think you could use emulation on the 3DS
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Thats on the VC though.
    I dont see the point of the 2DS when you can turn the 3D effect off on the 3DS perfectly well :confused:
  • VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Thats on the VC though.
    I dont see the point of the 2DS when you can turn the 3D effect off on the 3DS perfectly well :confused:

It's cost-cutting.

Sure you can turn off the 3D features on the 3DS/XL, but it being there as an option bumps up the cost.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBH, it just makes me want to get the 3DS even more.
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Thats on the VC though.

The 3DS screens are probably the most expensive part of the console, and although Nintendo are making a profit on it now, it took a long time to get there.

Pokemon is out soon. That is popular with a lot of younger people. The 3D effect scares parents with kids under 7. Yes, I know you can turn it off, I know you can lock it, but when reading Amazon reviews, "Why would I pay for a feature I'll never use?" is a mentality that's very common.

So, basically, you have a cheap device for kids without the controversial 3D effect or a breakable hinge, released the same day as Pokemon, that will probably make Nintendo far more profit per unit than the 3DS does. (The fact that one console is the same colour as a pokeball is no coincidence.)