Steven Gerrard Retires

2»

Comments

• LuvJamTartsLuvJamTarts Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    Taht goes for almost every England player for the last 30 years.

Then as i said, Gerrard should be getting the same level of criticism as Rooney does for it.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then as i said, Gerrard should be getting the same level of criticism as Rooney does for it.

Gerrard doesn't carry Rooneys off-pitch back story. It shouldn't count, but it seems to.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    I'll fight anyone who claims that was the best FA Cup final of the last 30 years though, proper fisticuffs.

But I'm guessing that you'll be happy to accept that claim after May 2017 ;-)
  • celesticelesti Posts: 26,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fight amongst yourselves from next May!
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    Nova21 wrote: »
    Did Liverpool offer him the same contract before he left to go to LA?

Not sure but i'd be surprised if they just let him go. I think it would have been fairly easy for him to get a contract on £80k a week at home, it was more that he didn't want to play for another English club.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Gerrard doesn't carry Rooneys off-pitch back story. It shouldn't count, but it seems to.

What is different in their back stories?
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am confused. I thought he retired ages ago and then went to the USA
  • mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I am confused. I thought he retired ages ago and then went to the USA

You're easily confused then.:D
  • MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread was set up with the purpose of looking back on a player who has had a very good impact on the game, and who rightly will go down in Liverpool folklore, for all that he achieved with them.

Can we keep the negative aspects away from thus thread at least, and just allow for people to talk about what he meant to them, as he brought quite a lot of goodness to a lot of people over the years, from Liverpool to LA.

He scored so many memorable goals, and put in so many good performances, he certainly was a player that I didn't look forward to seeing in the opposition line up, especially at Anfield.

Now that his career is over, I can put aside club loyalties, and say, good luck on his next career path, whatever that may be.

So many good memories of him in a LFC shirt, way too many to list but I think my fave 3 goals from him, with importance attached also have to be - the stunner v West Ham in the cup final, his cracker v Olympiakos & of course his header v A C Milan that began the comeback.

Top top player who hopefully will be back at LFC in some capacity very soon.

Loved every goal v Man Utd & Everton too :D
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The West Ham cup final was his best game, he was phenomenal in that.

He is another who seems to have gone from playing at a very high standard to retiring, very quickly.

I suppose with the money earnt nowadays and having experienced matches at the highest level, retiring at 34-35 seems the way to go rather than at 38 having dropped down a level.