Options

Curved TVs

drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it worth paying that bit extra for a curved TV?

Will i get an optimum clarity of picture no matter where i'm positioned?

Comments

• Options
    tim1964tim1964 Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No and No,

It is/was a fad, just like 3D that was to be the next "must have" thing that has fizzled out.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not unless you can get one of the many unsold ones at a huge discount. Even then I'm not sure I'd have one.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drillbit wrote: »
    Is it worth paying that bit extra for a curved TV?

Will i get an optimum clarity of picture no matter where i'm positioned?
    As others have said, it's a gimmick. The claims that the picture is more immersive don't hold water. The viewing angle is worse than a flat screen when viewed from the side. The screen curve introduces a geometric distortion to the image. The only advantage is the curve does help minimise certain reflections compared to a flat screen.

If you want better picture quality (and this goes for any TV) then buy a set-up disc on Blu-ray and follow the tutorials about adjusting the picture controls. For £40 this will give you the same sort of performance increase as spending an extra £100+ going up from a midrange TV to a higher spec'd model.
  • Options
    joshua321joshua321 Posts: 2,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...are horrible and distort the picture appallingly unless everyone sits huddled up right opposite the middle of the screen. Even worse than 3D, because you can't turn it off.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    I agree with everything others have posted and would add that they take up more room as well. They have more depth due to the curve and the displays on today's flat screens are no thicker than a pane of glass.
  • Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only advantage is the curve does help minimise certain reflections compared to a flat screen.

Until you move your head just a fraction and the curvature of the screen makes any reflection move about the screen & makes you feel sick!
  • Options
    SmufterSmufter Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a KS7000 and my mate has the curved screen equivalent.
    I much prefer mine.
    And my Missus wouldn't let me buy a curved, even if I wanted one.
    She rules the roost she does.....
    >:(>:(>:(;-)
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,516
    Forum Member
    The only advantage is the curve does help minimise certain reflections compared to a flat screen.

Not at all, reflections are FAR worse on a curved screen, to the extent it could be totally unwatchable.
  • Options
    drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joshua321 wrote: »
    ...are horrible and distort the picture appallingly unless everyone sits huddled up right opposite the middle of the screen. Even worse than 3D, because you can't turn it off.

really :confused:

but i thought that was the whole idea of the curve so everyone gets a perfect picture no matter the viewing angle
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

but i thought that was the whole idea of the curve so everyone gets a perfect picture no matter the viewing angle
    You only have to think about it to realize that apart from someone sitting at the focal point of the curve, everyone else will get a distorted view with a wide variety of viewing angles.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No the point is so that the sun's rays are reflected to concentrate on a small area so your house catches fire ! (Well a good CT anyhow).
  • Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    You only have to think about it to realize that apart from someone sitting at the focal point of the curve, everyone else will get a distorted view with a wide variety of viewing angles.

I've a problem at a customers where the focal point of the screen just so happens to reflect sound from the kitchen directly back at someone watching the TV. It means that every small noise in the kitchen seems amplified by the TV and makes watching the set awful. Thankfully didn't buy from us so we're in the clear!
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The thinking behind it is so flawed that you have to wonder how the company execs fell for it and who was the marketing genius who managed to sell the idea to gullible reviewers and the general public.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skinj wrote: »
    I've a problem at a customers where the focal point of the screen just so happens to reflect sound from the kitchen directly back at someone watching the TV. It means that every small noise in the kitchen seems amplified by the TV and makes watching the set awful. Thankfully didn't buy from us so we're in the clear!
    That's a side-effect I bet nobody anticipated...

Curved screens were originally a marketing gimmick intended to differentiate expensive OLED screens from cheaper LCD screens. The former could easily be made curved, whereas the latter could only be made flat. That differentiator has now been lost, making them even more pointless!
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's crazy, as OLED is a far superior technology. It doesn't need a gimmick.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got the C6 oled tv. The curve is a complete non issue. I can't even see it from my position. 3D on it though is amazing.
  • Options
    joshua321joshua321 Posts: 2,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe if the curve was all around you on a giant cinema projection screen that would work, but not for televisions - they're not exactly holodeck size.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    I've got the C6 oled tv. The curve is a complete non issue. I can't even see it from my position. 3D on it though is amazing.
    So what you are saying is that you like it despite it being curved...

I think that's the point. Whatever the inherent qualities of a TV, they are not further enhanced by it being curved. And sometimes they will be made worse.

A curved screen would probably make a good computer monitor though, if immersion is your thing!
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Didn't somebody here say that the real reason the TVs were curved was because of manufacturing issues where they couldn't make them flat at an acceptable yield level?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't somebody here say that the real reason the TVs were curved was because of manufacturing issues where they couldn't make them flat at an acceptable yield level?
    That isn't a claim that makes any sense. It's more like a conspiracy theory!
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,516
    Forum Member

That was me :D

The rumour in the trade was that LG initially couldn't make OLED screens flat, so had to produce curved ones instead. This prompted the LCD manufacturers to follow suite.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not at all, reflections are FAR worse on a curved screen, to the extent it could be totally unwatchable.
    All modern glossy-screened TVs can be rendered unwatchable due to reflections. That means flat TVs just the same as curved TVs. The point is that on a flat surface a reflection from a point source will appear across the entire plane of the reflecting surface as a direct mirror image. On a curved TV that doesn't happen because the angle of the reflecting surface is always changing due to the radius of the bend. Sometimes it will work in favour of the viewer, and at other times against them.

The answer in all cases is to reduce the light level falling on objects in the room. That's not always practical of course; a brightly lit TV showroom must be a nightmare.