Have I Got News for You - Series 52

Comments

• RelicaRelica Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Presumably because you're on the very far right!

Presumably you are on the very far left. ;-)

Regardless it doesn't feel balanced to me anymore. Therefore, I have taken the decision to not watch it anymore. This is a forum I would recommend moving along if you don't like opinions other than yours. I'm just joining in the conversation as is the point of forums imho.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,551
    Forum Member
    Relica wrote: »
    Presumably you are on the very far left. ;-)
    No, why would you think that? Unlike you, I find the programme fairly balanced and I can't imagine why anyone would find it "too far left". As a matter of interest, would you regard yourself as being on the far right?
    Regardless it doesn't feel balanced to me anymore. Therefore, I have taken the decision to not watch it anymore. This is a forum I would recommend moving along if you don't like opinions other than yours. I'm just joining in the conversation as is the point of forums imho.
    As am I. And I haven't said I don't like your opinion, I'm just confused by it!
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    There was a time when I would never have missed this show but sadly its too far left.

Hence the attacks on Jeremy Corbyn....
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    There was a time when I would never have missed this show but sadly its too far left.

What you are actually saying is it doesn't fit with your politics - yes? You obviously want a show that is singing from your particular hymn sheet.
  • Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a very unpredictable year, some things remain very predictable ie somebody on the far end of the political spectrum will complain on DS about bias on a satirical news show. :)

Btw, I thought Tom Hollander was an excellent host.
  • RelicaRelica Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Shiny happy people :)
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    The show isn't too far left nor too far right.

My issue is that they are obsessed with low hanging fruit and going for the easy laugh in some very VERY predictable targets, rather than actually Ian Hislop and Merton to have to do some work and come up with some funny material. Ian can do his face and shout "tony Blair" and Paul Merton can do his "daft" routine. Few gags about Corbyn, Trump, Farage and Boris, and it is episode in the can, payslip in the post.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »
    It looked as though nobody had shown Hollander the script before the show - he seemed seriously unprepared.
    He had a lot of trouble reading from the autocue, but managed better when reading from his cards. Other hosts have had trouble with the autocue, too, so maybe it's too far away or something.
  • Baz_JamesBaz_James Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    He had a lot of trouble reading from the autocue, but managed better when reading from his cards. Other hosts have had trouble with the autocue, too, so maybe it's too far away or something.

I don't think it's the distance. Autocue reading just is a lot harder than you'd think not least because it limits the ability to read ahead as you would normally do. If you've not had previous experience and a fair bit of practice it can really catch you out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I wonder why Jacob Rees-Mogg agrees to go on, all that happens is that he gets the mickey taken out of him, also I was surprised how well Adil Ray came across as I cannot stand Citizen Khan.
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I wonder why Jacob Rees-Mogg agrees to go on, all that happens is that he gets the mickey taken out of him, also I was surprised how well Adil Ray came across as I cannot stand Citizen Khan.

Each to their own, but to me Ray came across as a bit of a twit!! Ooh, let's clap to make the posh boy look silly!!

Fail!!

Citizen Khan is just awful-all the excesses of poor 1960's 'comedy'.
  • deisegirldeisegirl Posts: 3,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this Adil Ray night on the BBC?? He was on the One Show earlier too and of course Citizen Khan.
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    deisegirl wrote: »
    Is this Adil Ray night on the BBC?? He was on the One Show earlier too and of course Citizen Khan.

Gosh, I'm lucky!! I never watch One Show or Citizen, so just had to suffer him on HIGNFY which, I won't miss, no matter what!! :)
  • harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rees-Mogg (aka minster for the 1930s) actually goes down well every time he is on hignfy. He's a master of evasion and rolls with the mockery. As a person he's probably a nice fellow.

As a politician however, he's a complete barstool and menace.
  • burnesideburneside Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rees-Mogg (aka minster for the 1930s) actually goes down well every time he is on hignfy. He's a master of evasion and rolls with the mockery. As a person he's probably a nice fellow.

Why is he a menace? Because he's a Tory?
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The enacting of the "De Keyser" sequence was a waste since the whole joke hinges on the person reading it to themselves (like when John Bird claimed he had to sight read "You say tomato..." for an audition having never heard the song)...

But i liked "Not Poodle"!

K
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rees Mogg is one of those politicians that cartoonists don't have to caricature all that much because he is largely there already.
    I think you are right, he could end up being mockery fodder, but it doesn't work out that way and tonights show was one of the more affable ones seemingly. Clearly he knows what he is doing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burneside wrote: »
    Why is he a menace? Because he's a Tory?

Correct.

Or to be a precise a typical filibustering Tory who has impeded the discussion of numerous important bills in the commons.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Rees Mogg is one of those politicians that cartoonists don't have to caricature all that much because he is largely there already.
    I think you are right, he could end up being mockery fodder, but it doesn't work out that way and tonights show was one of the more affable ones seemingly. Clearly he knows what he is doing.

You need to be careful how you say that or it turns into an Oedipal spoonerism. :D
  • DippydollyDippydolly Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jacob Rees Mogg is one of my favourites
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It seems nobody has a bad word to say about him personally.

Mel was good and even Paul seemed to be genuinely enjoying himself. His robot schtick was dreadful though.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to be careful how you say that or it turns into an Oedipal spoonerism. :D

Yes well, Im glad I hadn't been drinking when I wrote it ;-) :D
  • deisegirldeisegirl Posts: 3,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh, I'm lucky!! I never watch One Show or Citizen, so just had to suffer him on HIGNFY which, I won't miss, no matter what!! :)

I don't watch the One Show, honest!! Was channel hopping. Citizen Khan is a guilty pleasure show for me though :blush:
  • mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dippydolly wrote: »
    Jacob Rees Mogg is one of my favourites

Yes sorry to say JRM is my guilty pleasure on this show. Having said that, I found him a bit more 'knowing' tonight. Didn't enjoy him quite as much as I usually do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    It seems nobody has a bad word to say about him personally.

Mel was good and even Paul seemed to be genuinely enjoying himself. His robot schtick was dreadful though.

'People' might change their minds were they to watch parliamentary proceedings. The man is a notorious filibuster and has objectionable political ideas. I have an interest in his activities:

He notoriously filibustered and voted against the equal marriage bill, based on his Catholic faith.

He voted against repealing the bedroom tax.

He has routinely voted to raise VAT and yet for lowering corporation tax and tax for high-earners; also against banker bonus taxes.

He has always voted against benefits in line with prices, or marginally higher rates for people who can't work due to disability or illness.

He promotes zero-hours contracts (though I doubt he'd enjoy one himself) calling them 'beneficial' and criticism of them 'typical responses of "the left"'.

He voted to repeal the 1998 human rights act (in 2012 and again in 2016).

He voted against a law to force unregulated care providers to fall in line with European standards (why do unregulated care providers exist anyway?)

He regularly votes against regulation for excessive tax avoidance measures.

He voted to raise the university tuition fee cap. Also ending financial support for 61-18 year-olds in training and education.

Not the best character really.