which STAR TREK series deserved another season??

-in a hypothetical world -which of the 5 trek shows would u like to have seen given another season?? this was a poll on the star trek website about a year or so ago and interestingly enough (the usually maligned) Enterprise won.
-If you could envisage an additional season to the 5 trek shows how would it go? how would you pitch it? DS9 & VOY are somewhat harder given the complete finality they achieved with their endings. I can't really think of an epilogue for those. but I think u could make a decent case for TOS, TNG & obviously ENT having additional seasons.

hypothetically how would you pitch the season(s).

THE ORIGINAL SERIES:
In the final year of Kirks 5 year mission the enterprise further into the unknown regions of our galaxy discovering even more civilisations. during this time first contact is made with the Deltans and the Ferengei. hints of a powerful cybernetic alien race on the other side of the galaxy are also alluded to as well. the final episode sees Kirk appointed to admiral and the Enterprise is called into spacedock for an refurb which will take several years.
THE NEXT GENERATION:
after resolving his long standing relationship with Q - the final TNG season features a season long story arc which sees the federation at war with borg. the impending dominion war is also alluded to and a number of crossover episodes with DS9 occur. Effectively this hypothetical season 8 might have replaced the movie 'First Contact' in a roundabout way.
(NOTE: this obviously would have been done at the time of the 1994-95 TV season and ignores later continuity i.e the TNG movies)

ENTERPRISE:
Well this one is straight forward and infact was already scripted by producers before ENT was cancelled in 2005. a season long story arc of the war with the romulans. obviously this was alluded many years earlier in the classic TOS episode 'balance of terror'

DS9: ???

VOY: ???

which show should have had another season?? 90 votes

TNG
22%
Brian1709starman700chinchinJohn259Jaycee DoveMikeC2TheBigM-GONZO-gmthstripedcatParadise_Lostdoormouse1jerseyporterricinusabigail1234HOAddictLunasNanJames_PicardMR_PitkinPete2174 20 votes
ENT
41%
kechoknaquadaGDKMandarkbrumiladRG101Doctor_WibblemminolettiMarkynottsCorwindenddonna255RebelScumkingjeremyhurrikane313clarendelfmradiotuner1jedi mattAnika HansonTourista 37 votes
TOS
14%
FizzbinCLL DodgekatoPencilSambdacaptainhaddockMarkiebBesterTassiumLMDean DareUsernameErrorThe Amazing 13 votes
DS9
15%
codename_47PsychoTherapistdesm52cjdoyleShrikemossy2103SattregaIrishdavepon farrgslam2Callum CollumAndrew_BallardDr. ClawEVIL-MONKEY 14 votes
VOY
6%
daz100pcdocbingbongCBFreakdottzie38IWasBored 6 votes

Comments

• blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt that all the next gen series finished at a natural point, DS9 could have easily had another series of the Dominion war if they had paced it a bit differently - but it wouldn't have made sense to directly follow up 'What You Leave behind'.

I quite liked some of the follow up novels to Voyager but i'm not sure that a post 'going home' season would have worked with the wider public.

Understandable why Enterprise won the poll given that it was only four seasons long and had plenty more opportunity to explore Trek history. I can't say i'm that bothered that it didn't though.

Seeing as I only made it half way through the second season of TOS i'm not sure I can really comment on that one.

I know this wasn't the question - but if they decided to continue any of the series today (with a 10-20 year gap) I would go for DS9. From interviews I've seen, Avery Brooks is far too 'gone' to reprise his role but wouldn't it be great to see the rest of the crew come back. Maybe Kira is now the head of the Bajoran Militia and calls on some of her Starfleet friends to assist with a major crisis affecting Bajor. As part of it they decide to pull DS9 out of mothballs and Miles O'Brien is finally forced to become and office and take command :p
  • James_PicardJames_Picard Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    TNG
    I know this wasn't the question - but if they decided to continue any of the series today (with a 10-20 year gap) I would go for DS9. From interviews I've seen, Avery Brooks is far too 'gone' to reprise his role but wouldn't it be great to see the rest of the crew come back. Maybe Kira is now the head of the Bajoran Militia and calls on some of her Starfleet friends to assist with a major crisis affecting Bajor. As part of it they decide to pull DS9 out of mothballs and Miles O'Brien is finally forced to become and office and take command :p

A) why is kira not head of the station? does bajor need a militia with cardassia now in ruins?
    B) I suppose these things could be revisited in a future trek show set in the early 25th century. unfortunately we'll have to wait for that >:(

P.S: i'm not having a dig at STD by the way ;-)
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS9
    I'm going for DS9 for the simple reason that it's far and away my favourite. :)

I never really got to grips with Enterprise but there's a case to be made that it could have grown if it had been given at least one more season.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought the Voyager homecoming was a little too quick and anticlimactic. I wanted a bit more screen time back in the Alpha quadrant, if not a new season to see how they transitioned back home.

I know the 2 parter explored it a little bit, but that was ultimately a redundant alternative future.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ENT
    Think Enterprise shame at the time it was on a bad channel if it had been on CBS wonder if more might have watched?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A) why is kira not head of the station? does bajor need a militia with cardassia now in ruins?
    B) I suppose these things could be revisited in a future trek show set in the early 25th century. unfortunately we'll have to wait for that >:(

P.S: i'm not having a dig at STD by the way ;-)

In my story DS9 was decommissioned as a part of a deal with the Dominion to have a 'neutral zone' around both entrances of the wormhole. Kira was promoted to head of the Bajoran Militia when it closed.

Presumably Cardassia would have (at least) partially recovered by 20 years after the war. Even so, Bajor would always maintain a defence force given it's strategic position and the threat from other races.

I'm also assuming that Bajor decided to not join the Federation after the war as it wanted to retain it's independence after everything that happened.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TOS
    I think they all ran for the perfect amount of seasons they did.

Especially TNG, VOY and DS9. 7 seasons is perfectly adequate for any television. It's when you begin to go on longer is when the show ends up losing decline.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOS
    It's only TOS and ENT that could have benefited from another year or two.

Although ENT was not a show I liked in either it's original concept or the warfest it became.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    ENT
    Both the original series and Enterprise deserved more seasons. I went with Enterprise since, although I love the original series, further series back then would have just been more of the same and its star might not then have shined so bright. Enterprise, on the other hand, had the potential to fill in some significant gaps in Star Trek's future history. Series 3 was a bit of a warfest, but series 4 showed immense potential, in my view.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    ENT
    There's three shows that could have (I feel) concluded better, those being TOS (from what I remember), Voyager, and Enterprise. Out of those three, I feel that Enterprise was the more deserving, based on what I've read about what the writers had planned for Season 5.

TOS was about the ship (and crew) on a five year mission, we only got to see three of those (right?) I guess fans of TOS back then would have liked to see another two series. The Voyager final came out of nowhere; there was no lead up to it. One moment they were flying through space on their way home, and the next they conveniently found their way home at the expense of the Borg. I didn't like it.

Season 5 of Enterprise was going to introduce more Gorn, the Tzenkethi, Knziti, more episodes on Travis, Malcom, Hoshi and Phlox, and they were going to bring Shran in as an ambassador (of sorts); I'd have watched Season 5 purely for that character alone!

TNG ended with a nice flow, as did DS9; I don't think there was much more to tell there, and whatever stories that followed came by the way of the TNG films.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is (obviously) my own personal opinion - but I really don't think that Enterprise was redeemable and i'm glad it ended when it did. Season 4 showed that there was lots of opportunity for great story lines but by then the characters (and cast) had already been shown wanting. Scott Bakula is a good actor but Archer was a poor captain, whereas T'Pol was interesting as a flawed Vulcan but Jolene Blalock was a bad actor. The rest were a bit 'meh'.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ENT
    More of the Original series would have been good, though by the end it walked a fine line between fun and silliness, so it could really have gone either way. TNG was showing signs of writer fatigue by season 7 so good that it finished when it did. Happy with how and when DS9 ended. So Enterprise probably.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    TOS
    Enterprise was terrible - a flawed concept and it should have been cancelled in its first season in my opinion.

The Next Generation was still as strong in season 7 as it was in Season 4 and probably could have lasted for at least another 3 seasons. As much as I enjoyed Generations, I often wondered how epic a Seasons 8-10 of The Next Generation would have been with the revamped Generations sets, Data's emoticon chip and with (potentially) William Shatner either joining the cast or guest starring.

Deep Space Nine definitely ended at the right time, although it changed so much from season to season, I often wonder what an 8th season would have been like, with the Federation dealing with the aftermath of the dominion war, with Sisko gone and with Worf as ambassador. That said, had an 8th season been planned, it probably would have meant more of the darker dominion war episodes as opposed to the golden era of DS9 Seasons 3-5.

Voyager (I think) went on for too long. I enjoyed the first 3 seasons but soon after Seven of Nine came along, it became far too character focused for my liking, with less of an uptight military vibe and more of a relaxed soap opera feel. The Federation/Maquis dynamic was virtually ignored and characters went from having distinctive and enjoyable personalities to being lacklustre. Unlike other Star Trek series, Voyager failed to evolve much beyond Season 4 and I doubt a Season 8 would have been any different.

My vote goes to The Original Series. It was an unintentional phenomenon back in the 70s, 80 and 90s, with every episode today seen as golden and brilliant. It ignited the entire Star Trek franchise. Imagine how great a Season 4 would have been? The last episode Turnabout Intruder was definitely not one the series should have ended on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    Enterprise was terrible - a flawed concept and it should have been cancelled in its first season in my opinion.

The Next Generation was still as strong in season 7 as it was in Season 4 and probably could have lasted for at least another 3 seasons. As much as I enjoyed Generations, I often wondered how epic a Seasons 8-10 of The Next Generation would have been with the revamped Generations sets, Data's emoticon chip and with (potentially) William Shatner either joining the cast or guest starring.

Deep Space Nine definitely ended at the right time, although it changed so much from season to season, I often wonder what an 8th season would have been like, with the Federation dealing with the aftermath of the dominion war, with Sisko gone and with Worf as ambassador. That said, had an 8th season been planned, it probably would have meant more of the darker dominion war episodes as opposed to the golden era of DS9 Seasons 3-5.

Voyager (I think) went on for too long. I enjoyed the first 3 seasons but soon after Seven of Nine came along, it became far too character focused for my liking, with less of an uptight military vibe and more of a relaxed soap opera feel. The Federation/Maquis dynamic was virtually ignored and characters went from having distinctive and enjoyable personalities to being lacklustre. Unlike other Star Trek series, Voyager failed to evolve much beyond Season 4 and I doubt a Season 8 would have been any different.

My vote goes to The Original Series. It was an unintentional phenomenon back in the 70s, 80 and 90s, with every episode today seen as golden and brilliant. It ignited the entire Star Trek franchise. Imagine how great a Season 4 would have been? The last episode Turnabout Intruder was definitely not one the series should have ended on.

Every episode? :p
    Forum Member
    ENT
    I think Pencil is basking somewhat in the warm glow of nostalgia. I still love the original series, and it's still my goto show when I want to dip into something on TV for just an hour, but I recognise that it has dated in both visual and narrative style. It's definitely of its time.

What still shines through is the warmth of the main three characters and the intelligence of many of the stories.
  • PerfectMarkPerfectMark Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    I think Pencil is basking somewhat in the warm glow of nostalgia. I still love the original series, and it's still my goto show when I want to dip into something on TV for just an hour, but I recognise that it has dated in both visual and narrative style. It's definitely of its time.

What still shines through is the warmth of the main three characters and the intelligence of many of the stories.
    I agree, there were some really dodgy episodes though. Like the final where a women swaps bodies with Kirk because women aren't allowed to be starship captains. But having said that, there are a few episodes which are almost of revolutionary today as they were back in the 60s. They generally seemed a bit braver back then, where modern trek has maybe been toned down a bit.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ENT
    I selected Enterprise because there's a decent bit of interesting history to fill in and yes, one or two Star Fleet Battles* and certainly an opportunity to have some appearances from Shran though I would hope not so many as to spoil it. There's something about the sarcastically rude form of grudging respect that just worked well but nice things are better not over-indulged. I loved Oscar The Grouch but I suspect would not have enjoyed a full spin-off series.

Adventure! Space lasers! Ships blowing up! A thousand elephants! Stuff breaking and not having a magic fix! Maybe that was the appeal, a smaller ship meant they didn't have an endless supply of redshirts. Voyager sort of had that not-unlimited principle which is one of the reasons I didn't hate it.

* award yourself a :blush: or :D as appropriate if you recognise this from more than *mumble* years ago
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ENT
    I agree, there were some really dodgy episodes though. Like the final where a women swaps bodies with Kirk because women aren't allowed to be starship captains. But having said that, there are a few episodes which are almost of revolutionary today as they were back in the 60s. They generally seemed a bit braver back then, where modern trek has maybe been toned down a bit.
    About the "no female captains" issue, it all comes from Lester's line "your world of starship captains doesn't admit women!". Whilst we never saw any female starship captains during the series, it doesn't mean women weren't allowed to be captains. Many starship captains may have indeed been men, but the line itself was more about her resentment at Kirk leaving her for the Enterprise, being devoted to the job and having no room for relationships.
    Forum Member
    TNG
    GDK wrote: »
    Both the original series and Enterprise deserved more seasons. I went with Enterprise since, although I love the original series, further series back then would have just been more of the same and its star might not then have shined so bright. Enterprise, on the other hand, had the potential to fill in some significant gaps in Star Trek's future history. Series 3 was a bit of a warfest, but series 4 showed immense potential, in my view.

EXCELLENT POST.

comnpletely agree with your rationale. also TOS did have 6 movies- which kinda gave it some finality.
    Forum Member
    TNG
    ok

excellent read this thread. I admit I succumbed to my HUMAN emotions and voted TNG. purely because it is my fav
    but if I was to be a Vulcan and be more logical I think the answer is definitely enterprise. ENT was getting brilliant in its final season- but more so than that it had so much more to offer and it had so much more to explain in the entire star trek continuity, I think of the TOS episode 'balance of terror' where u had spock and the prejudiced officer whose grandparents died in the romulan wars- and I think... how good would it have been to explore those wars. ENT and bakula were warming up nicely by its cancellation- personally I think they could have delivered a cracker of a 5th season.

they could also have tied up a few other things
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ENT
    I went with Enterprise, as would have loved to have seen the genesis of the Federation explored and how Archer helped to start the ball rolling.
    Forum Member
    ENT
    RebelScum wrote: »
    About the "no female captains" issue, it all comes from Lester's line "your world of starship captains doesn't admit women!". Whilst we never saw any female starship captains during the series, it doesn't mean women weren't allowed to be captains. Many starship captains may have indeed been men, but the line itself was more about her resentment at Kirk leaving her for the Enterprise, being devoted to the job and having no room for relationships.

Agreed. I would add that it was from Janice Lester's own twisted and distorted point of view.

Yes, we did not see any female captains or admirals, but that largely reflects attitudes in the real world towards women in the sixties. We did see strong female characters, as prosecuting attorneys, scientists, aliens and other ranks. Unfortunately, in reality, many (but not all) such characters were female to give Kirk a "romance", I suppose. And we also saw the "traditional" hysterical female role and the weak (willed) female whom Kirk (or Khan) seduces.

Roddenberry had tried in the first pilot with Number One, but, the story goes, many women in the audience did not accept a female first officer with reactions like "Who does she think she is?".

It is of its time. :)
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOS
    Voyager was a very tired show by the end. No surprise at it's poor showing in this poll.

Watching the odd episode and I see what a missed opportunity it was. I probably didn't notice when it first aired.

Poor Chakotay. Started off a major character, ended up as Lt Leslie.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think DS9 & TNG ended at the right time. They ran their course. Voyager is a wonderful series but had a crap ending. I don't think another would have done it any favours.

The Original series was Ok but a little dull in places. I wouldn't have given it any more than 1 more season.

Enterprise I think needed to grow more but it had 4 seasons. Not much growing to if you can't get it right in 4.
    Forum Member
    ENT
    Tassium wrote: »
    Voyager was a very tired show by the end. No surprise at it's poor showing in this poll.

Watching the odd episode and I see what a missed opportunity it was. I probably didn't notice when it first aired.

Poor Chakotay. Started off a major character, ended up as Lt Leslie.

It was a missed opportunity - to inject real character development and dramatic conflict into the crew of a Starfleet vessel. The concept was fine. The execution was lamentable. They chose to forego character and credible situations, going instead for scifi concept of the week. It made for some intriguing and entertaining individual episodes (and some really lame ones) but taken as a whole, a poor series. And, oh yes, the way they made the homecoming a non-event character-wise shows just how little that side of story telling mattered to them. Even Braga says the writers were exhausted by that point. A situation that continued into the beginnings of Enterprise.