and the next Games With Gold is.....

Comments

• deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    gary77 wrote: »
    It's confirmed Crackdown from the 1st and Dead Rising 2 plus Dead Rising 2 Case Zero from the 16th

Link http://majornelson.com/2013/07/31/games-with-gold-for-august-crackdown-dead-rising-2-dr2-case-zero/

....great!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes: Really wanna get DR2 but I'm away from the 12th onwards for 2 weeks - how long do these games stay free for? Is it til the end of August...?!
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    ....great!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes: Really wanna get DR2 but I'm away from the 12th onwards for 2 weeks - how long do these games stay free for? Is it til the end of August...?!

Yeah, should be there until 31st August.

If you're not back by then providing you have some sort if internet access you should be able to add it to your account at Xbox.com and then download it on your return.
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Yeah, should be there until 31st August.

If you're not back by then providing you have some sort if internet access you should be able to add it to your account at Xbox.com and then download it on your return.

...oh yea - never thought of doing that - cheers for the tip!!;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven123 wrote: »
    Excellent, couldn't be a much better month on Gold than that, really impressed they throwing in the DR2 expansion for free too, nice little bonus. With the games on Gold thing picking up a bit I think I will have to extend my gold subscription (it expires end of Sept), are there any good deals on 12 months at the moment?

I checked eBay briefly but if anything they seem to have gone up a bit compared to what I got my last 12 month sub for, probably the whole games on gold thing has pushed interest back up a bit.

Are you kidding me my brother still subs to live and even he is willing to call bullshit on the games for gold as worthless, hell if they offered something of value something that is unmissable, i'd re sub my account of his Xbox for it

Look i love free games as much as the next person but Crackdown and Dead rising 2 are the best they can for an entire month

Yesterday on PS Plus i got Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Spec ops: the Line, When Vikings Attack, Lego Lord of the Rings, NBA 2K13 (through a mistake) and Mafia II

5 out of those 6 games are less than 12 months old, What new games is Gold offering, I'm not trying to bash 360 just to bash 360 but they really need to step their game up either now or when games for gold eventually hits X1
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Are you kidding me my brother still subs to live and even he is willing to call bullshit on the games for gold as worthless, hell if they offered something of value something that is unmissable, i'd re sub my account of his Xbox for it

Look i love free games as much as the next person but Crackdown and Dead rising 2 are the best they can for an entire month

Yesterday on PS Plus i got Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Spec ops: the Line, When Vikings Attack, Lego Lord of the Rings, NBA 2K13 (through a mistake) and Mafia II

5 out of those 6 games are less than 12 months old, What new games is Gold offering, I'm not trying to bash 360 just to bash 360 but they really need to step their game up either now or when games for gold eventually hits X1

I think the difference is to do with the fact that PS+ and Games for Gold are two different services. GFG gives you free games, PS+ give you long term rentals.

Plus IMHO the quality of games on offer is good on both services this month, the main difference is the age of those games. For someone with both services they are getting a cracking month of free content. I can tell you now that if I had both services and DR2 was available from day 1 I would be playing DR2 this afternoon. Instead I am hopefully going to enjoy some Spec Ops.

Also lets no forget that PS+ has built up to the service it offers today, GFG is still in its early days.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    There's an often big mistake regarding PS+, people say it's just a rental service but Sony DO give you free games to keep even after sub ends, it's their yearly cycle ones.

So currently it's Uncharted 3, LBP Karting and XCOM: Enemy Unknown are this years free games to keep. Last years was LBP2, InFAMOUS 2 and something else.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    There's an often big mistake regarding PS+, people say it's just a rental service but Sony DO give you free games to keep even after sub ends, it's their yearly cycle ones.

So currently it's Uncharted 3, LBP Karting and XCOM: Enemy Unknown are this years free games to keep. Last years was LBP2, InFAMOUS 2 and something else.

Really? So if my PS+ subscription ran out tomorrow I could carry on playing inFamous 2 or LBP Karting but I couldn't play Spec Ops or Need for Speed?

This is the first I am hearing about that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »

Motorstorm Apocalypse, which still makes me sit there screaming and laughing due to it's chaotic amazingness.

Also two Vita games a year, Gravity Rush and Uncharted.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »

Also lets no forget that PS+ has built up to the service it offers today, GFG is still in its early days.

But will GFG ever get past "early days"? It's only scheduled to last until December. If I were a cynical man, I might suggest it's little more than a cheap 6 month charm offensive designed to build a bit of brand loyalty ready for the Xbox One launch. Or to stop people that are moving over to PS4 allowing their subscriptions lapse, maybe.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Rumours are brewing that the reason Crackdown/Dead Rising 2 has made GFG this month is due to a possible announcement for a next-gen sequel at Gamescom (as well as tons more DR3 info) . There was that whole Crackdown icon at the X1 unveiling on the dashboard as well as Phil Spencer's comments post E3 saying how Crackdown isn't dead. Hmm it would make sense!

Obviously it's only rumours but a next-gen Crackdown would be exciting and Microsoft don't appear to have any exclusive game to directly rival Infamous Second Son at this point in time.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Really? So if my PS+ subscription ran out tomorrow I could carry on playing inFamous 2 or LBP Karting but I couldn't play Spec Ops or Need for Speed?

This is the first I am hearing about that.

Yep! That's why they are the Yearly Cycle ones, those ones are free to keep, which is why many were surprised when XCOM: Enemy unknown appeared on the Yearly Cycle, as it's rather still a new game.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »

I own both services (PS+, XBL Gold) and PS Plus is obviously far better value in terms of the content you get, it is amazingly good value.

When I said it was a good month for games with gold, I meant within the limitation of the scheme i.e. they aren't going to suddenly start offering 5 or six games at once or offer latest releases. However, I do think people get far too hung up on the age of the games being offered, games should be judged by their quality, not their age. I still play games form the 8 and 16 bit eras and the good games are still good now. Good gameplay doesn't age.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    steven123 wrote: »
    Good gameplay doesn't age.

That's very true, it doesn't. It's only people's perception that does, it does my head in when I read people saying things like "I used to love this game as a kid but it plays like crap now". It doesn't play any different.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumours are brewing that the reason Crackdown/Dead Rising 2 has made GFG this month is due to a possible announcement for a next-gen sequel at Gamescom (as well as tons more DR3 info) . There was that whole Crackdown icon at the X1 unveiling on the dashboard as well as Phil Spencer's comments post E3 saying how Crackdown isn't dead. Hmm it would make sense!

Obviously it's only rumours but a next-gen Crackdown would be exciting and Microsoft don't appear to have any exclusive game to directly rival Infamous Second Son at this point in time.
    Pretty certain I read an MS person say it was there (on the Xbox One dash mock-up) for a reason and not just to fill space on the design, ergo it will be on Xbox One.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS give away games for free and are making a loss. Sony have only just made a profit this year after 5 years of losses and that is because of the Xperian phone. When I give my money to a company I want it to make a profit and put those profits into new products.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PS give away games for free and are making a loss. Sony have only just made a profit this year after 5 years of losses and that is because of the Xperia phone. When I give my money to a company I want it to make a profit and put those profits into new products.

Sony and MS have made losses on their hardware for years but profits on software and software licensing. Sony have been making losses across the boards in most divisions for a long time, think they sold their TV manufacturing plant to Samsung because of this. It still doesn't stop any of the big boys from pumping cash into R&D - this is another reason why S and MS have taken hits over the past couple of years in particular.
  • WoodsMonkWoodsMonk Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Rumour has it that September's first free Xbox game with Gold is Magic: The Gathering 2013 - according to a snap of Xbox Australia's home page.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WoodsMonk wrote: »
    Rumour has it that September's first free Xbox game with Gold is Magic: The Gathering 2013 - according to a snap of Xbox Australia's home page.

Magic 2013? Magic 2014 was just released a few months ago. What next FIFA 10?
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magic 2013? Magic 2014 was just released a few months ago. What next FIFA 10?

But you already know that MS aren't releasing new'ish games with this program. Why are you surprised?
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    But you already know that MS aren't releasing new'ish games with this program. Why are you surprised?

I would have thought they would not bother giving you a game where most if not all of the players will have moved onto the later version.

Rainbow six Vegas is the 2nd game of the month, that is a decent game if you have not played it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought they would not bother giving you a game where most if not all of the players will have moved onto the later version.

Rainbow six Vegas is the 2nd game of the month, that is a decent game if you have not played it.

Ah right I'm with you. Yeah I see what you mean.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Why do people say PS+ plus is a rental service? What rental service keeps adding content every month, without the need for you to send back the acquired content you'be built up????!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    Why do people say PS+ plus is a rental service? What rental service keeps adding content every month, without the need for you to send back the acquired content????

Because if you don't renew it the majority of (or all?) games you get with it stop working. Therefore you never own them.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Because if you don't renew it the majority of (or all?) games you get with it stop working. Therefore you never own them.

Yes, you don't own the acquired content. But at the same time it's not a rental service per sa.

Currently the model works: the longer you subcribe the more content you acquire. It's a long term subcription service.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Its the gaming equivalent of netflix. More content is added regularly, but you stop paying and its not yours anymore to watch/use.

Personally i prefer the model of ps+ for games as the quality is so much better, and i don't mind not owning them.