Vodafone to launch 4G by 21st September

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Vodafone have said they intend to launch 4G in the UK by the 21st September 2013. This will probably coincide with the new iPhone release date (the iPhone 5 was released on 21st September 2012).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-2370492/Vodafone-hit-triple-whammy-European-businesses.html

Comments

• CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's anything like their 3G network in Scotland, it'll be unusable.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vodafone have said they intend to launch 4G in the UK by the 21st September 2013. This will probably coincide with the new iPhone release date (the iPhone 5 was released on 21st September 2012).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-2370492/Vodafone-hit-triple-whammy-European-businesses.html

I think the iPhone thing is just a coincidence it hasn't stopped them launching LTE in other markets. Not saying they shouldn't wait until they are in the best position but iPhone sales aren't going to generate that much difference.

Though technically in fairness offhand I think only Vodafone Germany and UK are the only ones who don't have 1800MHz LTE rest do. Though Vodafone Ireland hasn't launched LTE either.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Called it first. I said they won't launch until after September 1st.

Also said Three won't launch till early november
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Called it first. I said they won't launch until after September 1st.

Also said Three won't launch till early november

Agreed you did I expected it would be Late August Early September so looks like I was out by a bit. I expect you are right about Three as well at moment they are far more interested in upgrading vast majority of there network to DC-HSDPA and getting masts upgraded. We will see how the two months between Vodafone and Three 4G rollout effects the speed of the rollout as I know Vodafone has no where near as many upgraded masts as Three/EE does. I did say it was going be late this month that O2 was going to be launching 4G so looks like I was wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm quite amazed that they are pretty much letting EE have the head start they have. You would hope both Voda & O2 will launch with at least 40% 4G population coverage, otherwise they'll be way behind the nearly 60% of EE.

EE results are due out in a few days, and I wont be surprised if they are near the million 4G customers that they aimed for by the end of the year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tpk wrote: »
    I'm quite amazed that they are pretty much letting EE have the head start they have. You would hope both Voda & O2 will launch with at least 40% 4G population coverage, otherwise they'll be way behind the nearly 60% of EE.

EE results are due out in a few days, and I wont be surprised if they are near the million 4G customers that they aimed for by the end of the year.

I don't think they could manage 40% at the drop of a hat else we would of seen a greater 3G footprint as I expect the 800MHz masts also are 900MHz masts.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    The question is.. why are O2 & Voda on different launch paths.

I expect the new iPhone to be released a week or so after Voda launch 4G.

However i'm saying way earlier than 21st Sept for Voda....
    No reason why they could't have a higher coverage than EE did at launch. They use 800 remember.

EE should be at >60% by the time the first of the others launch (already over 55%).
    Expect new dates for renewed roll out push shortly.
  • exterraexterra Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    some fairly predictable public comments on the daily mail article - they match the constant complaints about "rubbish network and lousy customer service" that Vodafone receive everytime they promote something on facebook.

Vodafone's biggest problem is that they are late to the 3G party and the public seem to have woken up to the fact they offer expensive plans that aren't reflected in good network service or customer service. Changing the latter two will take Vodafone a long time as they haven't yet even accepted there's a problem - this will no doubt impact on the former with the result vodafone is quite likely to lose customers and revenue during a period of significant capital investment.
    Forum Member
    All networks get publicly negative comments. It's the nature of the beast and having millions of customers.

Voda need to splash the cash. Which they now seem to be doing. Should be interesting if they can replace their ageing network within the timescale they have set. They are no longer the network of choice for many a large company. They need to sort that. They have the potential to be the best network but history shows us they may not capitalise on it..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    exterra wrote: »
    some fairly predictable public comments on the daily mail article - they match the constant complaints about "rubbish network and lousy customer service" that Vodafone receive everytime they promote something on facebook.

Vodafone's biggest problem is that they are late to the 3G party and the public seem to have woken up to the fact they offer expensive plans that aren't reflected in good network service or customer service. Changing the latter two will take Vodafone a long time as they haven't yet even accepted there's a problem - this will no doubt impact on the former with the result vodafone is quite likely to lose customers and revenue during a period of significant capital investment.

Actually I think they have realised there network isn't the best. As they are putting in a massive amount of money into upgrading it. They may not have formally acknowledged it but they have unofficially in a way.
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive heard lots of vod masts are being upgraded atm. Where I live 3g never used to be usable and after 2 years of complaining and being told it worked it now actually does
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On day one I suspect that Vodafone/O2 will have around 20 percent coverage with about 35/40 percent coverage by the end of the year.
  • japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eljmayes wrote: »
    On day one I suspect that Vodafone/O2 will have around 20 percent coverage with about 35/40 percent coverage by the end of the year.

No way they'll be launching with 20%.
  • heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no confidence in Vodafone's ability to roll out 4G in anything like a reasonable timeframe. I still only got an EDGE signal standing outside the Pavillions in Central Birmingham back in February, and struggled with 3G at home despite previously not having a problem there with 3G. Then I switched to Three and can now use my Smartphone as a smartphone - fast data, and really decent coverage too even in rural places.

My ideal network would have the speed and affordability of 3, and the roaming deals of Vodafone.
    Forum Member
    japaul wrote: »
    No way they'll be launching with 20%.

Had a wee chuckle when i read he said 20%..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a wee chuckle when i read he said 20%..

I think the only network that could launch 4G with a good amount of coverage say 30-40% is Three. I doubt they will do that as it would involve paying EE extra money for temporary use of cabinets. Plus putting up a lot of samsung cabinets and delaying the launch of 4G longer so they could start of with a big chunk all at once. I not sure if that is likely or not. But I can't see O2 or Vodafone launching with 30% at all I could be wrong.
    I have no confidence in Vodafone's ability to roll out 4G in anything like a reasonable timeframe. I still only got an EDGE signal standing outside the Pavillions in Central Birmingham back in February, and struggled with 3G at home despite previously not having a problem there with 3G. Then I switched to Three and can now use my Smartphone as a smartphone - fast data, and really decent coverage too even in rural places.

My ideal network would have the speed and affordability of 3, and the roaming deals of Vodafone.

Honestly surprised that there isn't a special roaming deal for NI Three customers for Ireland with Three being the 2nd biggest network in Ireland now. I can't imagine it that rare that NI people have relatives who live in southern ireland.
  • mpk81mpk81 Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Honestly surprised that there isn't a special roaming deal for NI Three customers for Ireland with Three being the 2nd biggest network in Ireland now. I can't imagine it that rare that NI people have relatives who live in southern ireland.

There is a special rate, but it's for all UK customers not just NI ones
    Roaming in Ireland.
    If you're in the Republic of Ireland (ROI), you can make cheaper calls and send cheaper texts to the UK when you're roaming on the Three Ireland network. Calls to the UK cost 10.2p a minute and texts to the UK cost 8.1p each. You won't be charged to receive calls or texts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mpk81 wrote: »
    There is a special rate, but it's for all UK customers not just NI ones

Oh never knew that thanks for that.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    I think people are underestimating vodafone given their publicity around their network spend over 1 billion between now and march next year. I know there have been a lot of upgrades taking place in the 10 major cities, I suspect they will be launching 4g and then expanding at a very rapid pace come September.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    I think people are underestimating vodafone given their publicity around their network spend over 1 billion between now and march next year. I know there have been a lot of upgrades taking place in the 10 major cities, I suspect they will be launching 4g and then expanding at a very rapid pace come September.

They are spending 1 billion in 8 months on the network? no chance! unless it includes all the licenses for 4G. Do you have a link with more information?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More than £900m in 12 months is what they stated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    japaul wrote: »
    £900m in 12 months.

What does that include though, presumably the licences costs and other stuff as well?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No licences. It's their total capex for this financial year. Often this is stated as "investing in the network" which is true in a very broad sense. Normally this has been around the £600m mark (same for EE and O2). It is a step up but I suspect some of it will be due to ex cable & wireless capex requirements (now integrated into Voda UK).
    http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cs/groups/configfiles/documents/contentdocuments/vftst041720.pdf
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'We're spending 1 billion on our network' actually turns out to be 'total spend in capex in the company after integration of C&W is now 300m more than last year'.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to vodafone 4G :)