Three 4G Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There definitely is improved coverage in and around Lincoln now- both on 3G and 4G. There is coverage also in Cranwell which isn't on the map currently.
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    wilt wrote: »
    Agnieszka Girling disagrees...

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Inside-Windows-Platform/Project-Astoria-Build-great-Windows-apps-with-your-Android-app-code

As a Windows Phone user I welcome this with open arms.

Google Play Services won't work though.
  • lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    Google Play Services won't work though.

It's still loads easier now though, it won't just be copy paste compile but it might be worth putting in the hours now. It's the best Microsoft can manage TBF.
  • ConnorL9382ConnorL9382 Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    4G coverage is still pretty piss poor in Newcastle, plus the speeds are less than 5mbps.

Even 3G coverage in West Jesmond is awful, rarely get anything around the Metro Station.
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think your being a bit optimistic expecting speeds above 5mb from three 4g in cities, they simply don't have the amount of sites active yet, it's still better then most 3g city location in three though, I find them mostly badly congested now.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    A lot of us are being very optimistic in expecting 4G of any speed where we live in the foreseeable future.

It's hard to know what will happen first:
    Them "Making it Better"
    or
    My death!
  • mlc2009mlc2009 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    my one plan ended last night, however theres still no limit on data I use.. when will this switch over? I'm still tethered :p
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    mlc2009 wrote: »
    my one plan ended last night, however theres still no limit on data I use.. when will this switch over? I'm still tethered :p

Depending on your new plan you can still tether up to 4GB a month.
  • Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my one plan ended last night, however theres still no limit on data I use.. when will this switch over? I'm still tethered

If you haven't yet changed your plan / tariff then keep quiet and wait for THEM to make contact with YOU :D you will carry on with the One Plan and continue to get unlimited tethering on the legacy plan until the point where they contact you (via text, call or letter) to let you know that you need to move, and give you the options available - but this might be days, weeks or years away, so enjoy / keep the old plan rolling along for as long as it lasts.

There are several people on here whose One Plan minimum contract ended months or years ago, and they still haven't been contacted by Three, so it may not be immediate.
    Forum Member
    Chris1973 wrote: »
    If you haven't changed your plan / tariff then keep quiet and wait for THEM to make contact with YOU :D you will carry on with the One Plan and continue to get unlimited tethering on the legacy plan until the point where they contact you (via text, call or letter) to let you know that you need to move, and give you the options available - but this might be days, weeks or years away, so enjoy the old plan rolling along for as long as it lasts.

There are several people on here whose One Plan minimum contract ended months or years ago, and they still haven't been contacted by Three, so it may not be immediate.

I got the letter saying they was moving me off. I spoke too soon, I used all my 1g data, so now I'm using 100GB EE promotion
  • Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the letter saying they was moving me off. I spoke too soon, I used all my 1g data, so now I'm using 100GB EE promotion

How much data do you use on average via tethering?, if its more than 4GB then there is nothing currently available from Three which will suit and you may need to look at moving networks, if you use under 4GB but more than 1GB then upgrading to Three's Unlimited (handset) Data with either 2GB or 4GB tethering allowance would possibly be better?.

This advice assumes that you haven't signed a long contract for the tariff you have chosen currently?.
    Forum Member
    How much data do you use on average via tethering?, if its more than 4GB then there is nothing currently available from Three which will suit and you may need to look at moving networks, if you use under 4GB but more than 1GB then upgrading to Three's Unlimited (handset) Data with either 2GB or 4GB tethering allowance would possibly be better?.

This advice assumes that you haven't signed a long contract for the tariff you have chosen currently?.

No I have cancelled the three contract now, I forgot to give them 30 days notice, so I just burnt off that data and won't use it again.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you haven't yet changed your plan / tariff then keep quiet and wait for THEM to make contact with YOU :D you will carry on with the One Plan and continue to get unlimited tethering on the legacy plan until the point where they contact you (via text, call or letter) to let you know that you need to move, and give you the options available - but this might be days, weeks or years away, so enjoy / keep the old plan rolling along for as long as it lasts.

mine ended on 20th August 2014 and they have yet to contact me so as you say, people should just keep quiet until they contact you...

im happy with 3 especially since my area has been getting a lot of 4g attention lately don't tether much, but I have my backup phone on BT Mobile with 20GB data, used it to tether about 8GB of data in the last 2 days without any issues.

When and if they do ever stop my One Plan I wont leave but what I will do is try to get a deal with them since I've been with them for about 10 years now, maybe a little longer than that.
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4G coverage is still pretty piss poor in Newcastle, plus the speeds are less than 5mbps.

Even 3G coverage in West Jesmond is awful, rarely get anything around the Metro Station.

Got the feeling it is slowly getting better now though outside Newcastle. Used to get 0 to 1 bar at home and now it's 2 bars and at work I recently got 4G (full signal) . Bit odd, I do get 3G in West Jesmond (I go to the coffee chain near the station quite often).
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed yesterday that it looks like they have turned on 4G to the South East of Harlow now so that the whole of the South of Harlow is now covered.

Just bring on the West, Central, East, North West, North and North East now. ;-)
  • djfrancisdjfrancis Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im happy with 3 especially since my area has been getting a lot of 4g attention lately don't tether much, but I have my backup phone on BT Mobile with 20GB data, used it to tether about 8GB of data in the last 2 days without any issues

I live in NW London too but you must be a lucky one to get a good 4G coverage where if you by apex coner you just get 1/2bar.

The nearst mast to me is on Farm road near Hale lane what they recently upgraded but only 3G, They have put a temporary phone mast on trafalgar house due some building work but only picking up 3G at -48, when going past colindale police station they working on mast near RAF.

4G is good in, asda colindale picking up 27Mb, soooo slow in lidl at 6mb near station road and broadfields ave but cant pickup that mast at home, Fastest 4g is st albans 46mb

They need to enable the EE mast near Natwest for Three users to connect to 4G! then finally 4G comes to Edgware.

I mapped out EE & Three 4G if this any help Zee_Bukhari

Three 4G http://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=234&MNC=20&type=LTE&latitude=51.61095280577136&longitude=-0.27630319265131487&zoom=14

EE 4G http://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=234&MNC=30&type=LTE&latitude=51.616242590231046&longitude=-0.273728271997018&zoom=14
  • ConnorL9382ConnorL9382 Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    Got the feeling it is slowly getting better now though outside Newcastle. Used to get 0 to 1 bar at home and now it's 2 bars and at work I recently got 4G (full signal) . Bit odd, I do get 3G in West Jesmond (I go to the coffee chain near the station quite often).

One or two bars of 3G max in WJ, usually indoors it's No Service - though you're right Starbucks is alright.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfrancis wrote: »
    I live in NW London too but you must be a lucky one to get a good 4G coverage where if you by apex coner you just get 1/2bar.

The nearst mast to me is on Farm road near Hale lane what they recently upgraded but only 3G, They have put a temporary phone mast on trafalgar house due some building work but only picking up 3G at -48, when going past colindale police station they working on mast near RAF.

4G is good in, asda colindale picking up 27Mb, soooo slow in lidl at 6mb near station road and broadfields ave but cant pickup that mast at home, Fastest 4g is st albans 46mb

They need to enable the EE mast near Natwest for Three users to connect to 4G! then finally 4G comes to Edgware.

I mapped out EE & Three 4G if this any help Zee_Bukhari

Three 4G http://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=234&MNC=20&type=LTE&latitude=51.61095280577136&longitude=-0.27630319265131487&zoom=14

EE 4G http://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=234&MNC=30&type=LTE&latitude=51.616242590231046&longitude=-0.273728271997018&zoom=14

The problem being near lidl is that its the only mast in about 2 miles which is disgusting. The next closest mast is on farm road which was upgraded (looks nasty now) which should go 4G sometime soon.

They were planning a mast near the royal mail office behind fitness first a long with the old Orange mast next to NatWest "Within 3 months" just need more people to complain to help speed things up.

It isn't acceptable to have no signal in the streets on a busy high street in London

The mast recently upgraded to Three 4G is the one close to Highview avenue by the A41 giving speeds of above 70Mbps at times.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back in November 2014 I noticed EE had rolled out 4G to a town in Ayrshire called Kilmarnock. There were a few Ayrshire towns on Three's 2014 Wishlist shortly before it turned into a pumpkin. I had speculated that Three may be about to bring 4G to Kilmarnock, but that never happened and all Ayrshire towns were removed from the 2015 Wishlist. Tonight I was in Kilmarnock and low and behold Thee had 4G :o
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    When and if they do ever stop my One Plan I wont leave but what I will do is try to get a deal with them since I've been with them for about 10 years now, maybe a little longer than that.

You'll be disappointed. Three's stance is "take a current plan at regular price or leave". No loyalty deals. Take it or leave it. They don't take tenure into account anymore.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Back in November 2014 I noticed EE had rolled out 4G to a town in Ayrshire called Kilmarnock. There were a few Ayrshire towns on Three's 2014 Wishlist shortly before it turned into a pumpkin. I had speculated that Three may be about to bring 4G to Kilmarnock, but that never happened and all Ayrshire towns were removed from the 2015 Wishlist. Tonight I was in Kilmarnock and low and behold Thee had 4G :o

That's the same story for hundreds of towns on the 2014 work of fiction list, apart from the actually getting it bit!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilt wrote: »
    Agnieszka Girling disagrees...

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Inside-Windows-Platform/Project-Astoria-Build-great-Windows-apps-with-your-Android-app-code

As a Windows Phone user I welcome this with open arms.

people are misunderstanding it.

It wont be android apps like blackberry id.

These will be properly native Windows apps.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    You'll be disappointed. Three's stance is "take a current plan at regular price or leave". No loyalty deals. Take it or leave it. They don't take tenure into account anymore.

Whilst this is 100% correct.

There is still some wiggle room if you know how to play the system. ;)
  • ZebbZebb Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 3 coverage map got updated and is surprisingly accurate as regarding 4G in my area. No indoor coverage for me but outside is OK. Sigh, awaiting the 800MHz DD switch on.
  • binarybinary Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    There is still some wiggle room if you know how to play the system. ;)

"My name is jabbamk1 and I'm going to launch a full scale vendetta against you on the Digital Spy forums unless you give me my own 'MK One' plan for £1 a month..."