Options

Decent Android phone £100-150

tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
Forum Member
I am trying to advise a friend on a replacement Android phone. She wants to pay about £100-150 and has specifically highlighted battery life as something that matters to her.

Comments

• Options
    packagespackages Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a Moto G.
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Make sure it's the 16GB 3rd Gen Moto G.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    The Vodaphone smart ultra 6. I have one it is excellent.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go for either the latest Moto G or The Honor 4X (my wife has one and they are great - the only negative reviews are that they have everything in the app drawer, but this can be resolved simply by installing something like Nova Launcher on there).

Here is the Honor 4X: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Honor-5-5-Inch-Dual-SIM-Free-Smartphone/dp/B00UMP6QA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446195392&sr=8-1&keywords=honor+4X

Myself I would try to stretch to the deal above for the LG G3 though as it looks a great phone.
  • Options
    Paulius55Paulius55 Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    She might try the Wileyfox Swift for £129. This has a replaceable battery so she could get a spare if battery life is key.
  • Options
    Aslan52Aslan52 Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having just been browsing this market myself, I've noticed a few things.

If battery life really IS your prime concern, the LG G4C seems to be the best of the bunch although phones like the Moto G equal or better it in other ways.

There are also good deals to be had on phones such as the HTC One M8 and LG G3 if you can find them.
    You can also pick up a refurbished Samsung Galaxy S4 for less than £150.

If it was me, I'd probably look for a deal on a refurbished Samsung GS4 first, simply because it's such a high quality phone.

I can't recall where I saw it but I found one website that allowed you to buy a phone outright by taking out a "2 year contract" - basically, buying the phone on HP over 2 years.
    They had a deal where you could buy a Galaxy S5 for something like £10 a month, which might be worth considering as opposed to spending £150 all at once.

If you're interested in this I'll see if I can find the website again.
  • Options
    naveennaveen Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aslan52 wrote: »
    Having just been browsing this market myself, I've noticed a few things.

If battery life really IS your prime concern, the LG G4C seems to be the best of the bunch although phones like the Moto G equal or better it in other ways.

There are also good deals to be had on phones such as the HTC One M8 and LG G3 if you can find them.
    You can also pick up a refurbished Samsung Galaxy S4 for less than £150.

If it was me, I'd probably look for a deal on a refurbished Samsung GS4 first, simply because it's such a high quality phone.

I can't recall where I saw it but I found one website that allowed you to buy a phone outright by taking out a "2 year contract" - basically, buying the phone on HP over 2 years.
    They had a deal where you could buy a Galaxy S5 for something like £10 a month, which might be worth considering as opposed to spending £150 all at once.

If you're interested in this I'll see if I can find the website again.
    I know Giff Gaff do this, they currnetly have an offer on a Galaxy S5 refurb

https://www.giffgaff.com/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s5-refurbished/phone-details
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit over her budget but Argos are selling the LG G3 at the moment for £199.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avoid the LG G3 if battery life is important. It is poor on this .

The stand out device at this price range is the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6. £125 and a couple of quid to unlock. I wouldn't bother with either the Moto G or Honor 4X when this is available unless you want a smaller .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks all, I'll probably suggest the Moto G as it's one that I have as well
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As said;

Moto G 3rd Gen - 16GB/2GB RAM model
    Wileyfox Swift - which is really great because you can personalise everything, yet it's essentially still vanilla Android
    Honor 4X - throw Nova Launcher on, again as said, and this is another great choice

All three phones also have a decent camera too, and battery life that's comparable. 4X has the bigger screen if that's a requirement.

(The Honor can often be purchased cheaply if you register on the vMall.eu site (run by Huawei/Honor) as you get e-vouchers from time to time)
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt you'll get a 16gb storage/2gb version of the Moto G for £150?

AFAICS most places sell the 8gb/1gb version at that price
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moto g is the undisputed king in that price range.
  • Options
    CheshireBumpkinCheshireBumpkin Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    +1 for the Wileyfox. I bought one for my mother a few weeks ago and I was really impressed with it whilst setting it up. It was snappy, responsive, pretty much vanilla Android, and well put together. She runs a GPS app linked to her (external) camera for long periods and hasn't reported any battery problems, so I am assuming the battery performance is pretty good. It is replaceable too, but I haven't yet seen replacements for sale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say the Wileyfox Swift is better too. The Moto G is water resistant though, and can be customised, but essentially it's the same spec (Snapdragon 410, 16GB storage, 2GB RAM, memory card slot, 13MP camera etc).

Cyanogen OS is great though. Love the fact you can change themes and customise every aspect of the phone. I'd say the Moto G should get Android M quicker, however.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go for either the latest Moto G or The Honor 4X (my wife has one and they are great - the only negative reviews are that they have everything in the app drawer, but this can be resolved simply by installing something like Nova Launcher on there).

Here is the Honor 4X: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Honor-5-5-Inch-Dual-SIM-Free-Smartphone/dp/B00UMP6QA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446195392&sr=8-1&keywords=honor+4X

Myself I would try to stretch to the deal above for the LG G3 though as it looks a great phone.

I forgot to add that my wife can get 2 days battery out of her Honor 4X with normal use.
  • Options
    goldenfacegoldenface Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking at the white M4 Aqua from Sony. Seems like a good alrounder. Waterproof too. Good looking too!
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Here's a left field suggestion - Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 32gb for less than £120 from Gearbest's EU warehouse so guaranteed no customs charges. Specs-wise it absolutely wipes the floor with any £150 UK sourced Android handset! Yes, the warranty will be an issue but Xiaomi are one of the biggest mobile manufacturers in the world and make very reliable products.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/xiaomi-redmi-note-2-review#tr-review-summary

XIAOMI RedMi Note 2 (Advanced Edition) Android 5.0 4G Phablet with 5.5 inch FHD Screen MTK Helio X10 64bit 2.2GHz Octa Core 2GB RAM 32GB ROM 5MP + 13MP Cameras
    Main Features:
    Display: 5.5 inch 1920 x 1080 (FHD) screen 400 PPi
    CPU: Helio X10 Octa Core 2.2GHz
    GPU: PowerVR G6200
    System: Android 5.0 (MIUI 6)
    RAM + ROM: 2GB RAM + 32GB ROM (Advanced Edition)
    Camera: 5.0MP front camera + 13MP f/2.2 super aperture back camera
    Bluetooth: 4.0
    GPS: GPS/A-GPS/GLONASS
    Sensors: Gravity sensor, IR proximity sensor, Gyroscope, Ambient light sensor, Digital compass, Proximity sensor
    SIM Card: Dual SIM, Dual standy, Dual Micro
    Network:
    2G: GSM 900/1800/1900MHz
    3G: WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100MHz
    4G: FDD-LTE 1800/2100/2600MHz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No 4G 800 though, so not much good if you want 4G on Vodafone or O2 (or EE and Three if VoLTE support ever expands to all devices).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't actually mention that she lives in Kenya, which limits options. I am there at the mo and I think what I have decided to do is give her my own Moto G when I leave and replace it with possibly a Nexus when I get home. Not a problem to me as it is not my primary phone (which is an iPhone), I tend to mainly use it when travelling for a second SIM.
  • Options
    Amelia FieldAmelia Field Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    I didn't actually mention that she lives in Kenya, which limits options. I am there at the mo and I think what I have decided to do is give her my own Moto G when I leave and replace it with possibly a Nexus when I get home. Not a problem to me as it is not my primary phone (which is an iPhone), I tend to mainly use it when travelling for a second SIM.

Let me see. You know that ali-express sells phones worldwide. Maybe you can go to their website and find some luck. Days ago one of my friends got a elephone P8000 4G phone which has more than 4000 mAh battery with a good price.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Just got a WileyFox Swift - now that is nice phone even before you consider the price. I've gone from an HTC One M8 that I never quite got one with and finding it a lot better. Nearest comparison I have is the Nexus 5 I had before the HTC but with a more quality feel to it.