Rebirth

Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It looks like DC is rebooting and relaunching again. It's not clear how much of the New 52 stuff they'll keep, but all the titles are starting off at issue one again (apart from Action Comics and Detective Comics, which are reverting to their old numbers in the 900s).

Maybe we'll get the old Superman and Batman costumes back...

Comments

• JCRJCR Posts: 24,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The list of books is here- http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dc-announces-full-rebirth-line-twice-monthly-books-lowered-price-point

There are 32 comics, but 17 of them are now 2 issues a month.

Nothing but the titles is known at present, DC are announcing more details on March 26th.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Which means 3 less comics per month than five years ago when New 52 started (incidentally, it was called that because there was 52 titles, and the titles that lasted the full five years ended on issue 52).
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really see the point in reverting AC and DC back to the original numbering.
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    I don't really see the point in reverting AC and DC back to the original numbering.

Nostalgia, I suppose. Both titles are tantalisingly close to reaching the 1000 issue mark, which would be quite significant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nostalgia, I suppose. Both titles are tantalisingly close to reaching the 1000 issue mark, which would be quite significant.

Well they could add the 52 issues of the new 52 versions to the total and be even closer to 1000.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well they could add the 52 issues of the new 52 versions to the total and be even closer to 1000.

That's what they are doing, from what I gathered (from the articles):

"Action Comics" ended with #904 and "Detective Comics" with #881."
    "Action Comics'" numbering will pick up with #957 and "Detective" will be at #934."

(http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/action-comics-detective-comics-return-original-numbering-rebirth)
    (a difference of 53 - accounts for the #0 comics)

I'm glad I dropped out, now. What a mess this has all been. New52 failed to live up to sales expectations so they're jumping back. Going from a "we want a fresh, new, starting point so new fans can jump on as well as being attractive to old fans" back to ""Rebirth" will focus on re-instilling a sense of legacy in DC's comics"...

I wonder what zwixx makes of all this...? :)
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DC can do nothing right at this point, constant 'revisioning' indicates a complete lack of actual vision or ideas. As a fan it saddens me to see this move :(:blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not so much a lack of vision or ideas but a definite lack of confidence in the face of the money men & owners. They're flapping. They have very high running costs (I heard they pay the highest page rate of any comic producer. Still) with average sales and a cash hungry marketing department still stinging over New52 not doing anywhere near as well as expected, essentially flopping (which it did AND the numbers were fudged due to DCs way of figure counting (returns? What returns? No, we don't count those... ;))
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Not so much a lack of vision or ideas but a definite lack of confidence in the face of the money men & owners. They're flapping. They have very high running costs (I heard they pay the highest page rate of any comic producer. Still) with average sales and a cash hungry marketing department still stinging over New52 not doing anywhere near as well as expected, essentially flopping (which it did AND the numbers were fudged due to DCs way of figure counting (returns? What returns? No, we don't count those... ;))

To be fair, I don't think Marvel are really tearing up any trees sales-wise either. Comics as a print medium seems to be dying on its arse. The only thing that's keeping it going is the success of movie adaptations.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I wonder what zwixxx makes of all this...? :)
    :p

Perfect time to go the trade paperback route and save billions of £s and acres of space and tonnes of weight and forests worth of no-more-frickin ads.

Apart from Detective cos I wanna be there for the 1000. :)

[edit] So basically, because Batman+Superman is ending and Batgirl sucks dawn kibbles now, I'll be trading just one title, Batman. Not sure it's worth the effect. Bleh. >:(

[edit] whilst typing all that stuff about trading to save money I'm looking at my collection of lego minifigures, all costing £2.50 and I've got about 60 of them, including 10 Shark Guys - ffs. >:(

[edit] Be interested to know if the Batgirl team is changing. If so then, trading Batman instead on bi-monthlying it will (I think) save me enough to trade the 2 Batgirl titles. Ah yeah to that. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So could someone clear this up for me? I didn't read convergence, I've heard it sucked.
    But though they are resetting everything bar two books to issue 1 is the continuity actually any different?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, I don't think Marvel are really tearing up any trees sales-wise either. Comics as a print medium seems to be dying on its arse. The only thing that's keeping it going is the success of movie adaptations.

No one is doing amazingly well anymore. Marvel's figures are more honest than DCs, though, and digital and trade/collected edition sales are helping prop everyone up in most cases.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So could someone clear this up for me? I didn't read convergence, I've heard it sucked.
    But though they are resetting everything bar two books to issue 1 is the continuity actually any different?
    Convergence = big waste of fkn money. IIRC:
    evil dude setting up a massive battle competition, pitting heroes from different times and universes, having them engage in many many 1-1 fights to the death, over multiple rounds, until one is left. Oh yes, and when any hero dies, the WHOLE of the universe they came from is wiped from existence too. Anyway, after one round, yup ONE SINGLE FRICKIN round, the competition collapses, and blah blah blah blah over 4-5 issues, until blah.
    (ish)
    Completely missable, unneeded in any collection.

Don't think DC have explained EXACTLY what's going on storywise. As linked above, they've said what titles will be available and how many times a month each'll be coming out, but as for what Rebirth is all about -> for that methinks DC are letting the one-shot Rebirth, 80page(?) thing reveal all.

ps. fkit, I'm trading everything, sod the "gotta be there for Detective 1000" milarky, I'ma all or nuttin kinda guy, well apart from Judge Dredd. :)
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx, I'm so sad to hear you are trading everything. If you could do me one favour and send me a PM with a link to the list of what you have I might be able to take a couple of things off your hands ;)

Sad times..
    **** yeah!! :) :cool:

This is gonna be awesome!!

I don't think anyone wants DC to go under but they really need to rethink both their business model and the amount of creativity they give their artists :blush::(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey, I might be going the trading route when Rebirth kicks in but that doesn't mean I'm getting rid of my stonkingly big collection of monthlies, that must be worth billions (ish) :) Yes it does take up a considerable amount of space but it's all nicely bagged and boarded, and ordered with no missing pieces, apart from the recent Batgirl Bumside arc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been trade waiting since the moment I got into comics. I don't think the wait is that long and I prefer to read story arcs all in one go. I have a few single issues mainly from the early days of the new 52 but that's about it. Thanks for all the info zwixx.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    zwixxx, I'm so sad to hear you are trading everything.
    just re-read this and I'm thinking you took my "I will be trading everything" to mean I'll be selling everything. Actually I was using the term "trading" as a shortened form of "trade-paperbacking" ie. waiting for the trade paperbacks instead of buying the monthly issues. Oops :blush::)
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got back into comic because of the New 52 but all the reboots, mega-events and crossover titles have turned me off the big two publishers entirely. I basically get my fix for that on TV these days, while reading more grown up comics.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One assumes in the rebirth Gotham & Metropolis are going to be right next to each other now, like Detroit & Windsor, Ontario are? It's the way it's shown in a silly film. :D
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Well I will be picking up the Rebirth special when it starts on the 25th May before just picking up the Rebirth editions of my usual titles that I get like Batman,Detective Comics,Flash and Green Arrow over the next weeks!
  • mach2001mach2001 Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    zwixxx wrote: »
    just re-read this and I'm thinking you took my "I will be trading everything" to mean I'll be selling everything. Actually I was using the term "trading" as a shortened form of "trade-paperbacking" ie. waiting for the trade paperbacks instead of buying the monthly issues. Oops :blush::)

I'm not up with all the trade issues, how long would I have to wait before DC Rebirth comes out in a grouped issue?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trading - iiuc, and if you search Amazon you can confirm this, but there is going to be a huge Rebirth tpb that contains the main one shot and ALL the other rebirth #1 (bathman rebirth #1, superman rebirth #1.....)
    -> https://www.amazon.co.uk/DC-Rebirth-Omnibus-Various/dp/1401267424/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1465414980&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=rebirth+trade+dc
    -> 13 DEC 2016 <- wowzers, that is a huuuuuuuuuge way away. <- doesn't make me wanna change my mind and follow things monthly/bimonthly though.
    btw: https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/ <- :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    trading - iiuc, and if you search Amazon you can confirm this, but there is going to be a huge Rebirth tpb that contains the main one shot and ALL the other rebirth #1 (bathman rebirth #1, superman rebirth #1.....)
    -> https://www.amazon.co.uk/DC-Rebirth-Omnibus-Various/dp/1401267424/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1465414980&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=rebirth+trade+dc

That's the DC Omnibus edition, not a trade paperback at all. OEs are more like a collector's hardback edition.

Trade paperback collections usually come out within a month or so of the final issue of each arc, depending on the length of arc.