Options

Iain Lee on talkRADIO

Comments

• Options
    Iain leeIain lee Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Zenton wrote: »
    It's a small community that's forming who can relate to depression, anxiety issues, suicidal thoughts, abuse, alcoholism, obesity, other mental health issues etc. All very serious subjects which people can offload and find a kind, listening ear and audience. Although it alienates, I'd say the majority of the listeners. I much prefer the Absolute shows, which were fun and light hearted and the last time I looked the older podcasts were more popular than the Talk radio ones.

The presenter of a talk radio station is a mirror and the callers reflect what they see/hear.

Point taken. Kind of. But the old Absolute show pods aren't more popular than the current talk shows. They had a little burst in the iTunes chart but that's based on new subscribers and reviews. The talk pods are easily the most successful I've ever done by a long way.

I also disagree that the subject matter alienates the majority of listeners.

Anyway, how was last nights show in regards to this current thread?
  • Options
    dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last nights' show was great. Though I don't know how much of my input is needed as I enjoy the clunky gear changes and can happily listen to any subject that's called in about. It's not always necessarily the subject that's appealing, but the interaction between yourself and the caller. I like the little relationships that form between you. It's one of the most interesting elements of the show.

Also, I'm absolutely convinced that Paul is Angelos.
  • Options
    dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iain lee wrote: »
    Point taken. Kind of. But the old Absolute show pods aren't more popular than the current talk shows. They had a little burst in the iTunes chart but that's based on new subscribers and reviews. The talk pods are easily the most successful I've ever done by a long way.

I also disagree that the subject matter alienates the majority of listeners.

I really enjoyed last night, my favourite was the discussion about Advent Calendars and Kath's comment about Doggy Chocolate made me laugh out loud. I was annoyed that just then the car went into a 3G blackspot when I emerged you'd moved onto discussing Succubi and Men's "Love Juice" :) & the old guy after (can't remember his name) talking about his free Ferrero Roché

I can't think of anywhere I'd hear such diverse subjects one after another which is the joy of your show
  • Options
    Tony MahoneyTony Mahoney Posts: 3,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love lighter conversation and fun in radio hence I enjoy Jon Holmes show. But, without being too critical, Jon's shows are broadly the same every day.

Iain is one of the few presenters prepared to go with the flow and make a handbrake turn in an instant based on what comes in from callers.

You don't tend to hear that or find presenters capable of handling it anywhere else and is one of the reasons I find Iain's shows keep me drawn in. That and Kath of course who is just the best.
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love lighter conversation and fun in radio hence I enjoy Jon Holmes show. But, without being too critical, Jon's shows are broadly the same every day.

Iain is one of the few presenters prepared to go with the flow and make a handbrake turn in an instant based on what comes in from callers.

You don't tend to hear that or find presenters capable of handling it anywhere else and is one of the reasons I find Iain's shows keep me drawn in. That and Kath of course who is just the best.

I think thats what i like so much about the shows as well you just have no idea what to expect. You may have a couple of ideas on what may feature but by and large the shows are very unpredictable and i love that. I'm also a big fan of Jon's work but as you say you can usually guess what he maybe taking the piss out of that day.

I enjoy the show being a blank canvas and people just chipping in what they think and moving onto something different. It's got that real vibe of an old skool pub with people who are there regularly and then new faces who join in with the convosation round the bar.
  • Options
    pengedragonpengedragon Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i enjoyed the show last night, it did feel like light relief a bit compared to some of the others

that said there is clearly a balance to be had between light and serious, the best shows for me are when we get both in the same show and as others have said one of the joys is never knowing what you're going to get

the discussions regarding "serious stuff" can be literally life changing, i speak from personal experience so they must be doing some good somewhere
  • Options
    wickstawicksta Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The advent calendar chat last night had me laughing, but also worried as I have Star Wars and a Superheroes calendar for my two. Luckily they've obviously not heard of Lego advent calendars yet, although I think that sounds a much better idea than the chocolate ones we have!

It was also quite nostalgic, I can remember going to sleep looking forward to opening a new door on my calendar the next day with a simple picture. How times change.
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Iain lee wrote: »

Much better mix of lighthearted topics, I enjoyed it
  • Options
    Richard JohnRichard John Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonight's show has been amazing. Almost in tears at this Clapton story.
  • Options
    coulsdon59coulsdon59 Posts: 2,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed Tony Robinson on with Iain last night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :blush: I actually believed Prof Joseph Lehman was real for awhile, but I was online while listening and noticed that he didn't exist , but Joseph Lehman of the Makinac Centre

https://www.google.com/search?q=+Prof+Joseph+Lehman+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8'

Might be wondering why people are emailing him with sexual organs on their heads :)
  • Options
    SupersoulSupersoul Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave2702 wrote: »
    :blush: I actually believed Prof Joseph Lehman was real for awhile, but I was online while listening and noticed that he didn't exist , but Joseph Lehman of the Makinac Centre

https://www.google.com/search?q=+Prof+Joseph+Lehman+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8'

Might be wondering why people are emailing him with sexual organs on their heads :)

He did sound like a Howard Hughes interviewee. Only caught the end of the interview, but good to hear Jonathan with his revised outlook on life.
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Great show last night. Never knew about cranial penises until now.
  • Options
    radamfiradamfi Posts: 14,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was surprised at the lack of interest shown last night to be one of the four people invited to the studio on New Year's Eve.
  • Options
    ZentonZenton Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night's show was very funny. Also enjoyed watching the show via FB for the first time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loathe that Government Advert "This is an urgent announcement..."

As if it's only just occurred to people they might be able to sell their stuff overseas :)

Unfortunately there might be some truth, I was trying to buy something off Ebay the other day and the seller wouldn't ship to Germany because of Customs :o I tried to point out that because of the Single Market there were no customs but still wasn't interested :confused:
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Anyone who knows me from the old days on here will know that my radio legends have always been Clive Bull and Nick Abbot.

I now have a new king. Iain Lee is the greatest presenter on any speech station, anywhere, ever.

That is all.
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Anyone who knows me from the old days on here will know that my radio legends have always been Clive Bull and Nick Abbot.

I now have a new king. Iain Lee is the greatest presenter on any speech station, anywhere, ever.

That is all.

How could you leave Danny Baker off that list of legends, Rm? :o:o
  • Options
    radio tunerradio tuner Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is a very bold statement .He is good but the greatest ever ?
  • Options
    swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd certainly say he's the best currently broadcasting on speech radio.
  • Options
    wickstawicksta Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The shows have been on another level the past week or two. Loving it!

Although I fell asleep with my headphones in last night (early starts) and I usually catch up on the website but the guy with the crying baby woke me up as my parental instincts kicked in! So I ended up listening to the rest of the show and am now tired today. :cry:;-)
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is all.

Mr Lee is definitely up there with the best.

It was a great coup by TR management to sign him up.

They're amassing a really strong lineup of great presenters.

They just need to tempt Nick Abbot over to them!!
  • Options
    AMCHRISPNORTH80AMCHRISPNORTH80 Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    I'm really enjoying James Whale (and Ash).
    Thankyou very much indeed :)
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

That is all.

:o....
  • Options
    Iain leeIain lee Posts: 249
    Forum Member

That is all.

Delete your account.