Options

Top Of The Pops 1982 - BBC4

Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Welcome to 1982. :)

When the information about the broadcast dates of TOTP 1982 and possible Story Of 1982 documentary become available then it will be useful to place them on this new thread in anticipation of the year to come, as 1981 looks like wrapping up within the next month, although as yet there appears to be no confirmation of whether 1982 will be a seamless continuation onwards from 1981 or a possible summer or Proms break.

Whoever finds out the upcoming broadcast details first please post it here.

Comments

• Options
    Glorious 12thGlorious 12th Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    I must admit I am partial to memories of 1982 which was a fine year, for me at least, and for British pop music.

I've had a little chinwag with my beeb source and while '82 is definitely on the way there remains just a provisional decision on the beginning air date so she tells me, which is for and I quote 'this summer'.

I'll drop a further line if I have any new details before any of the rest of the Top Of The Pops viewing clan here.
  • Options
    rklrkl Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Has anyone else noticed that TOTP 1981 has been racing ahead of the usual almost-exactly 35 year gap that BBC Four usually keeps to? They've been showing 2 episodes a week now and have reached October 1981 already.

This week, they just showed the (dreadful) Birdie Song being performed by Legs and Co, which I believe was their last ever "credited" performance on TOTP...what a dud way to go out. Legs and Co did perform a few weeks later, but only mingling with the audience, as they had done for much of 1981.
  • Options
    Alex_DowlingAlex_Dowling Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If The Story of 1982 is shown here is my predictions of what will be mentioned.

- The cold winter of 1981 as it went into the New Year
    - Falklands War
    - Eurovision Song Contest as it was the year our country hosted it
    - Culture Club's debut TOTP performance as it was a talking point in the School Playground the day after
    - Singer of Shalamar doing his amazing dance move to Night To Remember
    - Fame which was the TV Series which everyone on Britain was addicted to watching
    - Launch of Channel 4 and their Music TV show The Tube which was Top of the Pops arch nemesis.
    - The Jam performing Precious and Town Called Malice on the same episode
    - Dexy's Midnight Runners performance of Jacky Wilson Says with the photo of Jocky Wilson on the TV Screen
    - ABBA and The Jam disbanding
    - Christmas number one which was Save Me Your Love which was the worst Xmas number one of all time.
    - Build up to the end of the year and preview of 1983 during the closing credits

That's a lot to fit in for a one hour show about the year a good Music show.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit I am partial to memories of 1982 which was a fine year, for me at least, and for British pop music.

I've had a little chinwag with my beeb source and while '82 is definitely on the way there remains just a provisional decision on the beginning air date so she tells me, which is for and I quote 'this summer'.

I'll drop a further line if I have any new details before any of the rest of the Top Of The Pops viewing clan here.

Excellent. Cheers 👍
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If The Story of 1982 is shown here is my predictions of what will be mentioned.

- The cold winter of 1981 as it went into the New Year
    - Falklands War
    - Eurovision Song Contest as it was the year our country hosted it
    - Culture Club's debut TOTP performance as it was a talking point in the School Playground the day after
    - Singer of Shalamar doing his amazing dance move to Night To Remember
    - Fame which was the TV Series which everyone on Britain was addicted to watching
    - Launch of Channel 4 and their Music TV show The Tube which was Top of the Pops arch nemesis.
    - The Jam performing Precious and Town Called Malice on the same episode
    - Dexy's Midnight Runners performance of Jacky Wilson Says with the photo of Jocky Wilson on the TV Screen
    - ABBA and The Jam disbanding
    - Christmas number one which was Save Me Your Love which was the worst Xmas number one of all time.
    - Build up to the end of the year and preview of 1983 during the closing credits

That's a lot to fit in for a one hour show about the year a good Music show.

A very good list Alex, you'd almost think you were actually there yourself at the time and are not just 18! ;-)

I was reading Mike Read's twitter last night and noticed your comment to him during Thursday's TOTP by the way.
  • Options
    Scott_WhittonScott_Whitton Posts: 5,305
    Forum Member
    1982 - bring it on!! Just been checking the Popscene listings for 82 and that's fair got me excited. Lots of great stuff to look forward to - some notable debuts, both artists and presenters, and a few WTF moments as well - Foster and Allen anyone? And Showaddywaddy are still at it! Oh and we had the theme tune for one of our regulars during the 81 shows, we'll get another in 82.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a reminder, as it's TOTP night, that the 1982 thread has been up and ready since the start of this week if anyone wants to get in early with any thoughts. It's closer than it seems!
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh, an '82 thread. Nice one. :) As good as a lot of 1981's so far been I think personally '82 will top it for me. Although with no doubt a few hiccups along the way! ;-)
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1982 - now your talking. A magical year for me as I purchased my first ever record.
  • Options
    JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Ooh, an '82 thread. Nice one. :) As good as a lot of 1981's so far been I think personally '82 will top it for me. Although with no doubt a few hiccups along the way! ;-)
    I can actually remember at the time enjoying 82 more than 81. It will be interesting rewatching from week to week as to whether i still feel that way. In many ways 82 seems much less of an important year on the surface, with not so many musical changes. However, i intend following my own instincts as i did at the time. I will be interested to see if i draw the same conclusion this time round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    I can actually remember at the time enjoying 82 more than 81. It will be interesting rewatching from week to week as to whether i still feel that way. In many ways 82 seems much less of an important year on the surface, with not so many musical changes. However, i intend following my own instincts as i did at the time. I will be interested to see if i draw the same conclusion this time round.
    Yes, much as I've enjoyed 1981 and the previous years, the year I'm probably fondest of for pop music is 1982 for first hand memories, hence my eagerness to get the thread up and going. As good as 1978 and especially 1979 were, I was just too young to really be fully aware unlike by 1982 which I can recall in good detail.
  • Options
    Jaded81Jaded81 Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait. I was born in 81 so this would be the first full year of my life. Roll it on all the way to 1986 which would be my first ever actual memories of the show.
  • Options
    JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Yes, much as I've enjoyed 1981 and the previous years, the year I'm probably fondest of for pop music is 1982 for first hand memories, hence my eagerness to get the thread up and going. As good as 1978 and especially 1979 were, I was just too young to really be fully aware unlike by 1982 which I can recall in good detail.
    1979 has been my favourite year of these repeats so far, and the best year in pop since 1973, in my opinion. When i think of 1982, Patrice Rushen's "Forget Me Nots" immediately springs to mind, and Evelyn King's "Love Come Down" which are two of my favourite dance tracks of the year. I love the funky bass lines from this period, and that also goes for Culture Club's "Time (Clock Of The Heart)" too. These songs replaced the more typical disco sounds of the previous years, although some may say they were not too far removed. They were excellent club tracks. I remember 1982 seeming more mellow and relaxed than 81, and possibly a great deal less pretentious. Maybe less important in the eyes of some, but i remember it being more fun.
  • Options
    Scott_WhittonScott_Whitton Posts: 5,305
    Forum Member
    TOP OF THE POPS 1982!!!!

Digiguide listings have the final two shows from 1981 on the 16th and 17th of June. Also on the 17th from 10PM, The Story of 1982 and Big Hits 1982 :D
  • Options
    Von TrappVon Trapp Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    rkl wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that TOTP 1981 has been racing ahead of the usual almost-exactly 35 year gap that BBC Four usually keeps to? They've been showing 2 episodes a week now and have reached October 1981 already.

This week, they just showed the (dreadful) Birdie Song being performed by Legs and Co, which I believe was their last ever "credited" performance on TOTP...what a dud way to go out. Legs and Co did perform a few weeks later, but only mingling with the audience, as they had done for much of 1981.

I have this on series link and binge watch. Thought I was missing episodes. Especially Human League "Love Action"

When are the other episodes aired? I record the late broadcast on Thurs
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Von Trapp wrote: »
    I have this on series link and binge watch. Thought I was missing episodes. Especially Human League "Love Action"

When are the other episodes aired? I record the late broadcast on Thurs

17 episodes (I think) from 1981 are not being shown because they were hosted by Jimmy Savile or DLT.

Unfortunately, the Human League's first six appearances of the year were all on shows hosted by one of those two, so we didn't see "Sound Of The Crowd" or "Love Action" and won't see "Open Your Heart".
  • Options
    spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the first edition of Top Of The Pops 82 is on 17th June.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was 9 in 1982 and really starting to take notice of the charts - it was the first world cup I remember being interested in as well. Bring it on!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spursboy68 wrote: »
    The very day I became a teenager in 1982.

Sometimes it really does not seem that long ago and then at other times it feels like an eternity, another lifetime.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spursboy68 wrote: »

I think that is going to be the 31/12/81 edition then the Story Of 1982. We've yet to see if the 1982 editions will follow the next week or if there is going to be a break before they start.
  • Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We should have 41 out of the 53 shows

Only 12 with Yewtree connections

1 January 7, 1982 - Peter Powell 1

3 January 21, 1982 - David Jensen 2
    4 January 28, 1982 - Simon Bates 3
    5 February 4, 1982 - John Peel 4
    6 February 11, 1982 - Tommy Vance 5
    7 February 18, 1982 - Mike Read 6

9 March 4, 1982 - David Jensen 7
    10 March 11, 1982 - Simon Bates 8
    11 March 18, 1982 - Steve Wright & Richard Skinner 9
    12 March 25, 1982 - Peter Powell & Garth Crooks 10
    13 April 1, 1982 - John Peel 11
    14 April 8, 1982 - Simon Bates 12
    15 April 15, 1982 - David Jensen 13
    16 April 22, 1982 - Peter Powell 14
    17 April 29, 1982 - Richard Skinner 15
    18 May 6, 1982 - Simon Bates 16

20 May 20, 1982 - Peter Powell 17
    21 May 27, 1982 - John Peel 18
    22 June 3, 1982 - David Jensen 19

24 June 17, 1982 - Simon Bates 20

26 July 1, 1982 - John Peel 21
    27 July 7, 1982 - Tony Blackburn 22
    28 July 8, 1982 - David Jensen 23
    29 July 15, 1982 - Peter Powell 24
    30 July 22, 1982 - Simon Bates 25
    31 July 29, 1982 - Mike Read 26
    32 August 5, 1982 - David Jensen 27
    33 August 12, 1982 - John Peel 28
    34 August 19, 1982 - David Jensen 29

37 September 16, 1982 - Simon Bates 30
    38 September 23, 1982 - John Peel 31

41 October 14, 1982 - John Peel 32
    42 October 21, 1982 - Peter Powell 33
    43 October 28, 1982 - Simon Bates 34
    44 November 4, 1982 - Mike Smith(1st Totp) 35
    45 November 11, 1982 - David Jensen 36
    46 November 18, 1982 - John Peel 37

48 December 2, 1982 - Peter Powell 38
    49 December 9, 1982 - Simon Bates 39

51 December 23, 1982 - David Jensen 40

53 December 30, 1982 - Gary Davies & Pat Sharp (1st Totp) 41
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judio wrote: »
    We should have 41 out of the 53 shows

53 December 30, 1982 - Gary Davies & Pat Sharp (1st Totp) 41
    We will hopefully be getting 40 shows from 1982 unless there are problems with mute links on live episodes (we lost one episode from 1981 due to this), sadly we won't be getting the December 30th 1982 edition though as sir Jimmy appears with Gary Davies,pat sharp and Janis long ;)
  • Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    July 7 AND July 8th shows in 1982

Any reason ???
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmmm 1982, I remember it well - the year I left school and started work - a couple of good Iron Maiden hits that year (I still have the 7" releases).
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judio wrote: »
    July 7 AND July 8th shows in 1982

Any reason ???

According to Popscene there are only episodes from 1st July (Peel) and 8th July (Jensen), and the only appearance by Tony Blackburn is as one of the Radio 1 DJs on 30th Sept.