Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Religion should be an over 18 activity.
  • Options
    LuckyPierreLuckyPierre Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    The latter group don't cause too much bother? Really? Is this an example of an athiests's superior intellect? :)
    It's an example of reality. Stupid people in ordinary life can't hold a candle to the sort of major league mayhem that religion can and does cause, especially when armed to the teeth and yoked to politics.

You may have heard of some of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't part of the reason of the loss of his faith down to the death of his nine year-old daughter?
    That was a major part of it, yes. Annie was clearly his favourite amongst his children and her loss was a blow from which he never recovered. Another was the sheer wastefulness of nature and the cruelty/suffering inherent in life - he famously gave the example of the Ichneumon wasp, which lays its eggs in a living host which then gets eaten alive from the inside out. Trying to square that with a benevolent and loving god ... nobody can do that.

He called himself an agnostic on some occasions, but on others said that his disbelief in a god was 'complete.' So ... who knows.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    Absolute bollocks. Darwin was a Christian.
    Darwin was only a Christian because at that time it was extremely difficult to be seen as anything other. I don't think he was ever a committed Christian and after the death of his daughter he gave up the pretense and refused to go to church any more.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was a major part of it, yes. Another was the sheer wastefulness of nature and the cruelty/suffering inherent in life - he famously gave the example of the Ichneumon wasp, which lays its eggs in a living host which then gets eaten alive from the inside out. Trying to square that with a benevolent and loving god ... nobody can do that.

I wonder how he decided "good" was responsible for "bad".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Darwin was only a Christian because at that time it was extremely difficult to be seen as anything other. I don't think he was ever a committed Christian and after the death of his daughter he gave up the pretense and refused to go to church any more.
    Exactly. His wife was intensely pious and it was the done thing to make children go to church, but Darwin sat outside in the graveyard looking at beetles and the like.
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was a major part of it, yes. Annie was clearly his favourite amongst his children and her loss was a blow from which he never recovered. Another was the sheer wastefulness of nature and the cruelty/suffering inherent in life - he famously gave the example of the Ichneumon wasp, which lays its eggs in a living host which then gets eaten alive from the inside out. Trying to square that with a benevolent and loving god ... nobody can do that.

as a scientist Darwin should just have seen that as evidence for a weak God, that was unable to counter the bad things that happen in nature.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    I wonder how he decided "good" was responsible for "bad".
    Don't follow?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mudbox wrote: »
    as a scientist Darwin should just have seen that as evidence for a weak God, that was unable to counter the bad things that happen in nature.
    It's not evidence for a weak god though. Occam's Razor demands that we don't multiply hypotheses unnecessarily, i.e. that we choose the simplest hypothesis with the smallest number of working parts, so to speak. And the simplest isn't a weak god, it's no god at all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't follow?

Why did he think "God" (good) was responsible for the world's negativity(bad)?

Are victims responsible for their assailant?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not evidence for a weak god though. Occam's Razor demands that we don't multiply hypotheses unnecessarily, i.e. that we choose the simplest hypothesis with the smallest number of working parts, so to speak. And the simplest isn't a weak god, it's no god at all

No it isn't, how is good responsible for bad?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Occam's razor is just a guide.... it doesn't actually mean anything much. An Amazon tribes person upon seeing a TV might use Occam's razor to deduce that it operates using mirrors that guide an image to the screen. Simple explanation? Correct explanation?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did he think "God" was responsible for the world's negativity?
    He didn't.

However, the god of traditional monotheism, if it existed, would be. We all know the standard attributes - omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, all that jazz - and that can't be squared with suffering, least of all utterly pointless and gratuitous suffering all around us all the time. The problem of evil is the rock on which many a person's religious belief has foundered and torn itself to pieces.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mudbox wrote: »
    Occam's razor is just a guide.... it doesn't actually mean anything much.

It's a rather important principle in science.
    An Amazon tribes person upon seeing a TV might use Occam's razor to deduce that it operates using mirrors that guide an image to the screen. Simple explanation? Correct explanation?

The even simpler explanation would be that there are very tiny wee people moving about inside a box.

What you're leaving out of the picture here of course is any element of investigation or experimentation to test the hypothesis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He didn't.

However, the god of traditional monotheism, if it existed, would be. We all know the standard attributes - omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, all that jazz - and that can't be squared with suffering, least of all utterly pointless and gratuitous suffering all around us all the time. The problem of evil is the rock on which many a person's religious belief has foundered and torn itself to pieces.

Assume God is good; would the concept of murder still exist? In a paradise with a good God, could a Val Mcdermid book exist?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He didn't.

Of course he did and you've just said why..
    Religious belief did not create "evil" either. Man created fantasies about an anthropomorphised father figure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course he did and you've just said why..
    Darwin didn't believe in a god past the age of around 40 or so. Have you been following nothing at all in this thread?
    Religious belief did not create "evil" either.
    No it didn't ...although there is that passage in Isaiah which has the OT god saying that it - he - creates evil as well as good.

But that's for those who believe in such things to puzzle over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darwin didn't believe in a god past the age of around 40 or so. Have you been following nothing at all in this thread?

No it didn't ...although there is that passage in Isaiah which has the OT god saying that it - he - creates evil as well as good.

But that's for those who believe in such things to puzzle over.

Can you be civil please? I didn't say anything to the contrary. We've been discussing that loss of faith. As a spiritual guide archaic Biblical text means little more to me than a source of great negativity from untreated psychosis feeding power, money and control craving. The results of most organised religions prove that point admirably.
  • Options
    nos_nilrubnos_nilrub Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    if humanity ceased to exist tomorrow would god still exist
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nos_nilrub wrote: »
    if humanity ceased to exist tomorrow would god still exist

No - not if you hold that all gods are human creations, so the obvious answer would be 'no.'
  • Options
    noodkleopatranoodkleopatra Posts: 12,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. His wife was intensely pious and it was the done thing to make children go to church, but Darwin sat outside in the graveyard looking at beetles and the like.

I remember doing the same in school chapel services... Staring out of the window, watching the birds, and thinking "What I wouldn't give to be one of you guys instead of sitting here listening to this boring bollocks".
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member

Yes I've read that Darwin used to go for a walk in the nearby woods while his family attended church.

Isaac Newton on the other hand was arguably an even greater intellect than Darwin and his work did more for our understanding of the physical world than almost anyone else in history, and yet he was highly religious from what I understand (even by the normal standards of his era).

So not sure what that proves...?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    Yes I've read that Darwin used to go for a walk in the nearby woods while his family attended church.

Isaac Newton on the other hand was arguably an even greater intellect than Darwin and his work did more for our understanding of the physical world than almost anyone else in history, and yet he was highly religious from what I understand (even by the normal standards of his era).

So not sure what that proves...?
    Not sure how easy it is to compare intellects between Newton and Darwin. But on the religious angle, yes, Newton was intensely religious but also a colossal crank - he devoted far, far more time to his work on alchemy than on science.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm never sure about these surveys etc I didn't find my faith until I was 48 years old did I get more stupid ? I don't feel more stupid. :confused: