M&S food

13»

Comments

• Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    M&S had just bought out their xmas range. They do a smoked salmon terrine with crostini pack which I have for my lunch. That and their mint truffles are my favourite things they do. It's a shame they don't do the smoked salmon pack all year round, I have to over indulge on it from now until xmas before it's removed again 😢

I haven't ventured any of their Christmas products yet.... mainly because I don't want to be morbidly obese by Christmas.

Their Christmas food is an unequivocal joy.
  • lukeskywalker1lukeskywalker1 Posts: 1,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cbe21ok wrote: »
    Their Aberdeen Angus BBQ Burgers are tops.

I used to really like these too but one packet I bought was full of bits of gristle so it put me off buying them again.
  • phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to really like these too but one packet I bought was full of bits of gristle so it put me off buying them again.
    And their skinny burgers are lovely and those are low in fat as well.
    Only 2sp each on WW which is even more of a bonus.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The £10 weekend meal deal is absolutely great, a whole rotisserie "Oakham chicken", tub of herb & mint potatoes, Bramley apple pie & a bottle of wine. Lovely 😎

The leftover chicken carcass is great for making soup, later.
  • confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    The £10 weekend meal deal is absolutely great, a whole rotisserie "Oakham chicken", tub of herb & mint potatoes, Bramley apple pie & a bottle of wine. Lovely 😎

unless you want to be choosing from the same products in the £10 dine in meal it's actually a bit naff, i'm not questioning the value but certainly the choices rarely change.
    the rotisserie chicken in gross though, covered in a sweet gunk. why they can't just make it a plain chicken to season as you like is beyond me. remember their old slogan ''it's not just food''? they should have finished that off with ''it's f@!ked about with food''.
  • riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find a lot of their ready meals are just too strong and virtually everything is full of garlic and /or chilli which I hate. I think their bread is dry and doesn't keep long.
  • marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tinned curry is extremely popular in the catering trade. I used to have a baked potato from a local shop with chicken curry, cheese and onion, it was delicious. They used Westlers, I know that because I worked for the firm that supplied it to them.
  • Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tried their new Vegetarian Roast Dinner , £4-50 the other day.

Ingredients

Chestnut , Celeriac, Mushrooms & Barley Roast
    Roast Potatoes
    Yorkshire Pudding
    Brussels Sprouts
    Carrots
    Vegetarian Gravy

Quite a substantial meal . Overall I enjoyed it , wasn't too keen on the roast potatoes seemed to have a strange taste , I even liked the Brussels spouts . Worth the money , will give it another go nearer Christmas .
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    farmer bob wrote: »

Crap fish or vegetarian options though.:(
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    moonlily wrote: »
    Crap fish or vegetarian options though.:(

The desserts are very poor if you don't eat dairy.

I'm allergic to cow's milk protein so cannot eat anything with milk in.

Other than a really dull fruit salad I can never have any of the desserts in the meal deal. It isn't that difficult to make desserts without dairy!
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over the last few years M and S food has collapsed in quality. There Chinese food is awful these days, barely edible. The meat quality has fallen so far I prefer Asda beef, lamb etc than M and S. There are far better suppliers of meat these days.

Maybe for a treat the vegatables are a bit better, but the extra cost is off putting.
  • Brandy211Brandy211 Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their Christmas food is the best, beautiful desserts. :)
  • lukeskywalker1lukeskywalker1 Posts: 1,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had M+S Beef Wellington today, £14 for two.

It was decidedly underwhelming and i plan to write a stiff letter of complaint.

The steak in it was a bit tasteless :( But the strawberry trifle was absolutely delicious!!!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've known people who worked in food wholesalers who assured me it's exactly the same as what goes to other supermarkets.

I wasn't sure myself but they insisted exactly the same.

That's not correct, as M&S were the only supermarket along with Morrisons ,not involved in the horsemeat scare, as they have their own suppliers.

Due to those two being the only exceptions not involved, they benefitted hugely from the horsemeat crisis.

Waitrose uses Dalepack meat supplier, the same one as Asda & Iceland....
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some years ago one of my nursing team had a mom who worked in a biscuit factory in South Wales, I was told the chocolate wafers were the same for all the major supermarkets they supplied, the only difference was the box/label/price they were shipped out in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Some years ago one of my nursing team had a mom who worked in a biscuit factory in South Wales, I was told the chocolate wafers were the same for all the major supermarkets they supplied, the only difference was the box/label/price they were shipped out in.

I saw a video filmed at a cereal factory.

The machine poured cereal into boxes for Lidl & Waitrose. The exact same museli was coming off the machine.

M&S have their own meat suppliers though, unlike the others.
  • rammsteinqueenrammsteinqueen Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always used to shop there. Gave it up and save about £150 a month. Their shelf life dates are shocking though, always used to grab from the back.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    Their Christmas treats are amazing, going to pick up a few things today.

Agree about the short shelf life though