Options

Silly things people believe about food.

Comments

• Options
    fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Eating carrots lets you see in the dark

That's not so silly. Carrots contain beta-carotene which is needed by the rod cells in your retina, and the rod cells are what allow night vision. Seeing perfectly in total darkness, no. But being able to make out shapes of things in almost total darkness, yes.

http://www.naturalnews.com/020364_vitamin_A_vision_problems.html
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    I poach breasts from frozen for my cat sometimes and the texture and even smell is different. I wouldn't do them from frozen for the human members of the household!

I agree with you. In a casserole or similar I can see it working but you can't perfectly cook chicken breasts from frozen. Same goes with steaks, pork chops etc etc.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother thinks you have to cook pork on the day you buy it, otherwise itwill go off
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That a fresh chicken needs washing.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A guy on big brother washed mince
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Having both butchered my own chicken, and from having worked in my college's poultry plant (ag major) it's not a bad idea to wash fresh chicken or other poultry. Big animals, the process is different, so not necessary. But whole chicken? Under the taps, always.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mother thinks you have to cook pork on the day you buy it, otherwise itwill go off

To London, with a little bundle on a stick?
    :)
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having both butchered my own chicken, and from having worked in my college's poultry plant (ag major) it's not a bad idea to wash fresh chicken or other poultry. Big animals, the process is different, so not necessary. But whole chicken? Under the taps, always.

You find "Do not wash" warnings in supermarkets and farm shops though.
    They warn against splashes contaminating unit tops and daring boards.
    I still rinse gently then pat dry with disposable kitchen roll because I often want to rub seasonings to the skin and it's usually a little slippery if it's been under film.
  • Options
    annelieseanneliese Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Diet Coke is actually more fattening that normal coke.

It has 0 calories, its not a trick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You find "Do not wash" warnings in supermarkets and farm shops though.
    They warn against splashes contaminating unit tops and daring boards.
    I still rinse gently then pat dry with disposable kitchen roll because I often want to rub seasonings to the skin and it's usually a little slippery if it's been under film.

If you believe half the things they say about poultry and salmonella for one example, you may as well be preparing hazardous waste. Being somewhat jaded about the topic, I stick to not crosscontaminating vegetables with raw meat, and that's about it. Yes, they dip poultry in sanitizer as a last step. And then another and another etc.

If I wash my own bird, it's trust, but verify, because who knows how many previously went down the line and what the bacteria load is in the washing water.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I wash my own bird, it's trust, but verify, because who knows how many previously went down the line and what the bacteria load is in the washing water.
    You are cooking it. Why would you need to wash it to remove bacteria? You simply risk contaminating nearby surfaces.

Not washing chicken is a good idea, and I'm glad they've made it official advice - even if that did only happen some years after I'd worked it out for myself!
  • Options
    Forum Member

You are completely wrong and actually making it far more dangerous.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/homehygiene/Pages/Washing-chicken-can-cause-campylobacter-food-poisoning.aspx
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never heard of people washing chicken before.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anneliese wrote: »
    That Diet Coke is actually more fattening that normal coke.

It has 0 calories, its not a trick.

Hehe. :D I can't say that I've heard that one, but there are certain theories about diet drinks that don't seem too unreasonable to me. For example, some weight-loss experts say that drinking diet soda may not help you lose weight because the sweet taste sends a message to the brain that a sugar fix is coming, and when it doesn't happen (because diet soda has no sugar), you end up seeking out something that will give you a sugar fix, often from refined carbs as they give the quickest hit. Could be candy, chocolate, bread, pasta. So it might not be that people think the soda itself is fattening, but that it doesn't always help with those trying to lose weight. Of course many people can drink diet soda without having this effect, it all depends on how your body responds to sweet flavours, blood sugar ups and downs, etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never heard of people washing chicken before.
    Pre-packed fresh chickens used to include instructions to wash them (along with cooking instructions), so anyone following those would have been liberally spraying bacteria around their kitchen.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    Pre-packed fresh chickens used to include instructions to wash them (along with cooking instructions), so anyone following those would have been liberally spraying bacteria around their kitchen.

How long ago was this? Shows how much attention I pay to cooking instructions! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long ago was this? Shows how much attention I pay to cooking instructions! :D
    Good question that I can't answer. I remember them being the reason I used to wash chickens, and then thinking that I'd need to disinfect all the splashed surfaces in and around the sink, and then eventually asking myself "Why the hell am I doing this?", being unable to think of a good reason, and stopping doing it! This was a good few years ago, but I don't know when the instructions changed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Meh. I've been cooking since I was tall enough to reach the knobs on the stove, and it hasn't killed anyone yet. Of course I don't wash the walls when I'm rinsing off a chicken, I just get the sink wet. Whatever lets you sleep at night, I guess.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Meh. I've been cooking since I was tall enough to reach the knobs on the stove, and it hasn't killed anyone yet. Of course I don't wash the walls when I'm rinsing off a chicken, I just get the sink wet. Whatever lets you sleep at night, I guess.

Putting aside the contamination issue, what is the point of washing a chicken at all? It's not as if rinsing it under a tap is going to get rid of any bacteria. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ok lets pretend that you aren't contaminating stuff by washing it. Why are you washing a chicken? What are you hoping to achieve?
  • Options
    Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok lets pretend that you aren't contaminating stuff by washing it. Why are you washing a chicken? What are you hoping to achieve?

To remove foreign objects, dust, dirt, hair etc. Can't remove that by cooking wouldn't want to eat any of that. Or let's put it this way what are you hoping to achieve when you wash veg?

If you have good food hygiene you won't need to worry about spreading bacteria.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't cook chicken from frozen. You can, it's fine.
    Do you mean chicken pieces? I wouldn't cook a whole chicken from frozen. Meat is quite a good insulator, and ice takes a lot of energy to melt, and salmonella can live deep in the muscle. Those three facts make it hard to cook a whole chicken from frozen and be sure there are no cold spots with living bacteria.
    Jo09 wrote: »
    To remove foreign objects, dust, dirt, hair etc. Can't remove that by cooking wouldn't want to eat any of that. Or let's put it this way what are you hoping to achieve when you wash veg?
    Shrink-wrapped shop-bought chicken don't have that kind of thing. I've never seen hair on an Asda chicken.

I wash potatoes and carrots because they are grown in dirt and the shops like to leave some of the dirt on because it looks more "natural". Most of my other veg is frozen or canned and I don't wash it. I do wash fruit that isn't being cooked partly because the shops recommend it, and partly because you don't know what other customers have been prodding it. I also have a vague concern about pesticides but I suspect that's not justified.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite right. And good food hygiene precludes activities almost guaranteed to spread bacteria, such as washing raw chicken (or other meats, come to that).
  • Options
    Peg ODwyerPeg ODwyer Posts: 43,117
    Forum Member

I have been cooking chicken for 40 plus years & I have never washed it before cooking, nor do I ever intend to.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

The only reason to wash veg is when it's straight out of the ground, to get rid of any loose earth clinging to them. Bacteria is not killed by a rinse in water and pesticides are lipid and won't wash away under a tap (they break down very quickly anyway).

Do you wash everything - sausages, steaks, pasta, pies? That would be silly, wouldn't it? Why is a chicken more likely to have 'foreign objects' on it than anything else?