Rillington Place.

Comments

• DUHODUHO Posts: 2,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Attenborough gave the finest acting performance I have EVER seen in that film

IMHO he was massively underrated as an actor
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've set for it to be recorded. I enjoyed (for want of a better word) the original so I'm curious as to how the series will go.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reviewed on Friday on The Wright Stuff and it was said to be very grim, as you'd expect. The movie was a hard-watch back in the day and still is now but at least that was done and dusted in one sitting in less than two hours. I just question the need to sit through an episodic version of this over three weeks, into Christmas (which poses questions about the suitability of scheduling if you ask me) for something that is detailing such appalling depravity.

I don't have the stomach to watch it.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    I've seen the film so not sure there is any point in watching this, No one will top David Attenborough as Christie.

100% right any remake is pointless.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100% right any remake is pointless.

Or not, seeing as it was Dickie and not David - As pointed out multiple times!
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Or not, seeing as it was Dickie and not David - As pointed out multiple times!

Oh yes it was indeed Richard but his performance will not be beaten.

Cold, dark, chilling in every sense.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    The way they advertise this programme, as if it's exciting and 'great to watch.'

Real people died in this story. Raped and murdered, including a baby. Also the death at the hands of the state of an innocent man.

I would never watch anything that glamorises real events.

Exactly, and that film told it as it was. It didn't glamorise anything.
    I noticed on the BBC site today it describes it s a thriller, which did seem rather tasteless - glad it wasn't just me
  • LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ess_Bee wrote: »
    I'm going to give it a go but any sign of intrusive background music or inauthenticity (over-glamorous women cos they wouldn't have been in 1948) and it's game over! The Attenborough film was such a classic I wonder if it can be bettered.

(I didn't watch Poldark but saw a few minutes of it and was struck by a very glamorous girl in a field meant to be scything wheat. Amazing how an 18th century Cornish girl could get hold of lip gloss and mascara.)

They always do this, when I watch Hollywood films depicting real people and look them up they are generally very plain looking people, but in the films they're played by the best looking people imaginable.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure this is pre Christmas viewing but it is perhaps opportune as this country heads to the right with calls for death penalty getting louder that people are reminded of the realities.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I posted this on another thread a while back.
    I visited Madam Tussauds in 1981, they had a replica of Christie's kitchen, with wax model of him. On the table was the actual glass jar he used to administer the gas to his poor victims.
    It was on loan from the crime museum in London, very chilling to actually see it.
    I'll watch tonight to see how it compares to the film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    I posted this on another thread a while back.
    I visited Madam Tussauds in 1981, they had a replica of Christie's kitchen, with wax model of him. On the table was the actual glass jar he used to administer the gas to his poor victims.
    It was on loan from the crime museum in London, very chilling to actually see it.
    I'll watch tonight to see how it compares to the film.

I'm sure I remember seeing this too but it must have in the late sixties, I was horrified.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    The way they advertise this programme, as if it's exciting and 'great to watch.'

Real people died in this story. Raped and murdered, including a baby. Also the death at the hands of the state of an innocent man.

I seriously doubt it's going to 'glamorise' anything.

Can you honestly say you've never seen anything that glamorises real-life events?
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member

Exactly, and that film told it as it was. It didn't glamorise anything.

Well we haven't seen the latest version yet so I will keep my powder dry.

I take it then you wouldn't watch as an example Wolf Hall?
  • iamianiamian Posts: 1,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lilylilac wrote: »
    I'm sure I remember seeing this too but it must have in the late sixties, I was horrified.

The Attenborough / Hurt / Gleason film was 1971.
  • JVSJVS Posts: 12,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The advantage of the original is that it was filmed in the same street in a neighbouring house and, of course, was made much nearer the time. The decor, fixtures and fittings were authentic as they would still have existed in post war Britain.

Judging by the clip I saw Evans sounded less Welsh than John Hurt and Beryl sounded more cockney than Judy Geeson.
  • Elvisfan4evaElvisfan4eva Posts: 15,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to this tonight. Each one is told from the perspective of one person, Christie's wife first, then Evans then Christie himself.
  • Hercule ParrowHercule Parrow Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    i wonder if we'll get authentic racist language when the appalling Christie finds that west indians are moving in in the surrounding flats.

it's difficult to warm to him at all.
  • ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was born in the mid 1940's and read about the court case and hangings about 2 years after Christie was hanged.

In my personal opinion, the Dickie Attenborough film of 1971 cannot be surpassed. As has been said, he gave his best ever acting performance for this.

I will watch the BBC version, but in my mind and thoughts will still be the film version, which IMHO should be screened again, say on BBC.
  • Elvisfan4evaElvisfan4eva Posts: 15,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i wonder if we'll get authentic racist language when the appalling Christie finds that west indians are moving in in the surrounding flats.

it's difficult to warm to him at all.

When a copper first visited him he noticed a nasty smell in his flat so Christie said "it's those foreigners around here cooking their smelly foods"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamian wrote: »
    The Attenborough / Hurt / Gleason film was 1971.

Not the film, Christies kitchen in Madame Tussaud's, it was really creepy.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The film is a tour de force, but I will still be watching this series version.
  • Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    DUHO wrote: »
    IMHO he was massively underrated as an actor

Massively underrated as a baddie. He was great in Brighton Rock too, really nasty. But in most films he was a goodie or the hero or twinkly granddad or Santa type.
  • harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That house looks like it was wallpapered by a blind man.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was he just released from prison or was that a hospital?
  • harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was he just released from prison or was that a hospital?

Prison.