Emmerdale: Is Ross dead or something?

Comments

• JohnMc1JohnMc1 Posts: 943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerdale are awful at aftermath especially in recent years. The aftermath of the helicopter crash was awful aswell.

They've always been terrible about aftermaths as far as I'm aware. My first Emmerdale major disaster was the King's River Housing estate [which no longer seems to exist] House collapse. They can write up to an event, but its like they don't care or don't know how to follow up an event. The aftermath of an event is just as important, if not more important than the event itself.
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be too much to ask:D

IMO it's s good that it hasn't t been all about him. Finn's s much more likeable and interesting.
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    Even Ross has been more sad than Pete has been and he hated his Dad a lot of the time. As soon as James died Pete was getting off with Leyla. Would you really feel like sex when your Dad has just died? Just seems weird to me.

BIB1 - I repeat, just because Pete isn't showing sadness doesn't mean he doesn't feel it. He could be just hiding it. We don't all wear our hearts on our sleeves. When my grandfather died I didn't show any emotion to anyone and I was accused by someone very close to me of being cold and unfeeling. I was emotional during the funeral but that was it - I kept the rest to myself and only became emotional when I was alone.

BIB2 - A lot of people have sex for comfort and this sort of situation is where comfort is needed.

Everyone is different. Just because you wouldn't react in the ways that Pete has doesn't mean other people wouldn't and it doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with his reactions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andybear wrote: »
    BIB1 - I repeat, just because Pete isn't showing sadness doesn't mean he doesn't feel it. He could be just hiding it. We don't all wear our hearts on our sleeves. When my grandfather died I didn't show any emotion to anyone and I was accused by someone very close to me of being cold and unfeeling. I was emotional during the funeral but that was it - I kept the rest to myself and only became emotional when I was alone.

BIB2 - A lot of people have sex for comfort and this sort of situation is where comfort is needed.

Everyone is different. Just because you wouldn't react in the ways that Pete has doesn't mean other people wouldn't and it doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with his reactions.

In my experience oldest siblings tend to be quite at burying their feelings and ' just getting on with it' and can also be quite protective to younger ones. I think Pete's s behaviour is quite of an older sibling, especially one who's s probably took on a parental role as well.
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Ross has gone for good as he is a ridiculous character, walking around hitting people on the head with a lump of wood and stealing cars, for which he is never arrested. Pete and Finn Barton are very inteesting and believable
  • al_capoal_capo Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Ross has gone for good as he is a ridiculous character, walking around hitting people on the head with a lump of wood and stealing cars, for which he is never arrested. Pete and Finn Barton are very inteesting and believable

Lets be honest, he's not the only one is he? Aaron? Robert? Cain? Jai? Zak?
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    al_capo wrote: »

Beat me to it! But some like to single out the fabulous Ross for his occasional naughty behaviour, while giving others you have named, a free pass.^_^

Ross is by far the most interesting and believable Barton sibling
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andybear wrote: »

But the sex wasn't for comfort. It's like he wasn't even thinking about James. And Leyla wasn't being sympathetic to Pete either. That was my point. Maybe they filmed it out of sequence because the scene didn't make sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    al_capo wrote: »

But he's s the one with the least depth or trains for doing what he did. Plus he always picks on people who have done nothing to him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beat me to it! But some like to single out the fabulous Ross for his occasional naughty behaviour, while giving others you have named, a free pass.^_^

Ross is by far the most interesting and believable Barton sibling

I feel an Alanniis Morrissette song coming on....:D. Maybe you should tweet this to her as an example in case she still doesn't know the meaning...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But he's s the one with the least depth or trains for doing what he did. Plus he always picks on people who have done nothing to him.[/QUOTE]

bib: Just like Cain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But he's s the one with the least depth or trains for doing what he did. Plus he always picks on people who have done nothing to him.[/QUOTE]

bib: Just like Cain.

No not at all. He picks on people for a reason - even if you don't t agree, there' s always something which has provoked it. Ross does it for money.
  • Nico_DNico_D Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No not at all. He picks on people for a reason - even if you don't t agree, there' s always something which has provoked it. Ross does it for money.

The worst time was when he nearly killed that driver of jimmy with a baseball bat and the shows narrative was...oh well it doesn't matter he was an illegal immigrant, as if somehow they're less important.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No not at all. He picks on people for a reason. Ross does it for !obey.

So Snoop Cainy Cain kills people's pets and beats and ties up the likes of innocent Rakesh, for a reason (and does not even apologise when he got his facts wrong in Rakesh's case).

So that's all right then^_^
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So Snoop Cainy Cain kills people's pets and beats and ties up the likes of innocent Rakesh, for a reason (and does not even apologise when he got his facts wrong in Rakesh's case).

So that's all right then^_^

Houndy', I' ve told you time and time again I don't t think it's s ok - and that's s not what I said in that post. However I recognise the difference between someone doing something terrible because there are emotions driving them and Dross thinking he needs some cash and he can't t be bothered to figure out another way of doing it. Then making like it's s all due to his not so nasty Dad, while looking down his nose at the likes of Cain and Charity who really have had it rough. Still I' m sure he apologised to that hard working security guard and the jewelleryshop owner, and he hasn't t hurt an animal that we know of, so that makes it all ok. Maybe in twenty years he's ll be a reasonable human being but just now he' s an a&sehole. Guess what? If I had been forty fifteen years ago I would have probably thought the same about young Cain, but we're ve seen a lot !ore to him over the years and he's s become a more likeable person. I' m not a child psychologist, I have little time for Dross and his Junior James Dean act
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nico_D wrote: »
    The worst time was when he nearly killed that driver of jimmy with a baseball bat and the shows narrative was...oh well it doesn't matter he was an illegal immigrant, as if somehow they're less important.

I agree, that was disgusting. It's s like - he,' s not a regular character, so just forget it:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Houndy', I' ve told you time and time again I don't t think it's s ok. However I recognise the difference between someone doing something terrible because there are emotions driving them and Dross thinking he needs some cash and he can't t be bothered to figure out another way of doing it. Then making like it's s all due to his not so nasty Dad, while looking down his nose St the likes of Cain and Charity who really have had it rough.

bib: Get the violins out^_^

The Dingle scum look down on others more than most Emmerdale characters. Cain will always be far worse than Ross. And in what universe is Cain remotely likeable?!

And as for the "Ross needing the cash" line you keep trotting out, he was forced by Gary North to rob the jewellers, and Robert blackmailed him into robbing Home Farm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another argument about Ross' morals, its really getting old now. I don't give a stuff about his morals, he's a horrible, sarcastic, moody, charismatic, criminal bastard but that's why we like him.

That's another good thing about Ross, a lot of the time his behaviour hasnt been justified, he's simply done it because he wanted to. Whereas Cain will dos something, but its ok because he's doing it for familehhhh.... his awful familehhhh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nico_D wrote: »

It didn't have anything to do with him being an illegal immigrant, like lots of characters he was only brought in for a couple of episodes. He never seen Ross' face, so why would they keep that sl going?
  • Jessica_BobbingJessica_Bobbing Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Dingle scum look down on others more than most Emmerdale characters. Cain will always be far worse than Ross. And in what universe is Cain remotely likeable?!

And as for the "Ross needing the cash" line you keep trotting out, he was forced by Gary North to rob the jewellers, and Robert blackmailed him into robbing Home Farm.

The thing that gets me about Cain is that he thinks he has the right to play vigilante and get involved in situations that have nothing to do with him, like when he kidnapped Rakesh, he beat him up and blackmailed him all on a whim, all because he caught him talking to Princess Belle. Cain showed absolutely no remorse when he discovered it wasn't Rakesh who Belle was seeing, but I guess that's okay because he was just protecting one of the other sacred Dingle's. I'm sick of Cain being given this constant god statues by the writers, it's obvious he'll end up saving Moira from the wrath of Emma and will look like the hero so that Moira forgives him. He doesn't deserve Moira.
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comparing the morals of Ross and Cain is pointless, it's like comparing Saddam Hussein to Colonel Gaddafi and arguing that the latter is a better guy because he showed more remorse for butchering his own people... :p Not that Ross and Cain are as bad as those two individuals, but you get my point.

At the end of the day the likes of Ross, Cain, Aaron, Charity and Zak have all committed crimes and are as bad as each other, it doesn't matter if one has shown more remorse or guilt or whatever. Personally I prefer Ross because he doesn't hide behind any fake, twisted morals like Cain and Aaron, there is no moral high ground amongst thieves. ;)
  • Kell_FreeKell_Free Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    Comparing the morals of Ross and Cain is pointless, it's like comparing Saddam Hussein to Colonel Gaddafi and arguing that the latter is a better guy because he showed more remorse for butchering his own people... :p Not that Ross and Cain are as bad as those two individuals, but you get my point.

At the end of the day the likes of Ross, Cain, Aaron, Charity and Zak have all committed crimes and are as bad as each other, it doesn't matter if one has shown more remorse or guilt or whatever. Personally I prefer Ross because he doesn't hide behind any fake, twisted morals like Cain and Aaron, there is no moral high ground amongst thieves. ;)

Good point, it's a tv show, not a PSA.
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member

Thank gawd someone said that. It gets pretty tedious seeing threads descend again into a "who's more/less evil" debate. In the end, you like who you like. I like Cain and Ross, because they're good characters to watch, I don't like Robert and Aaron, because they're not. There's no point justifying it morally, it's just about whether I like the characters/actors/storylines.

The main thing that turns me off though, if anything, is hypocrisy. So when shitty characters are sold to me as "good", that's usually me gone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're re one to talk about free passes and trotting out the same lines:DDid a big boy make poor wee harmless innocent Ross do the bad things! Awwww. I can see how a grown man in his twenties couldn't go to the police or stand up for himself in any way:(

Anyway,I' m tired of going around and found with the same arguments. How about I agree to despise Ross and you to despise Cain and we leave it at that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fair enough, I am bowing out of any Ross related conversations:D