Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    sorry
  • rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    got one of these rubbish letters today From This Bunch of Sharks(The One On The capitol Trading Park,Kirby ) saying That My Boxes Guarantee was due to run Out ,Impossible As I've Had The Same Box Since 2003.why do Sky Give Thse Conmen Our Details?

They don't ............................
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my advice is to people is not take any warranty at all as its not worth the paper its printed on. yu own the dish cables and the box so if yu insist on a warranty (my advice is dont) then look around for cheaper options. Your house insurance would include all satellite equipemnt in the event of damage or stolen gear. So why buy one? also second hand units are very cheap and also yu can buy a HD box cheaper(in the long run) and get a 12 month warranty on it for nothing
  • rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good advice - but what does "yu" mean ? :confused:
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in the last 7 days i've had 3 more letters asking me to take out warrenty :(
  • DJ BensonDJ Benson Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are being hounded by a company calling "on behalf" of Sky about satellite warranties. This company has got our details from Sky - who else would have given them our details (the exact date of installation being one piece of info only Sky could provide them).

One thing I noticed (which I was very concerned about). When I signed up for Sky - I checked the option for no marketing material (I do this as a matter of course with any company as I do not want my info being passed around). Shortly after installation, I log into MySky and lo and behold - the option for marketing is ticked again, leading me to believe Sky have passed on my personal details to a third party who is now bothering us daily despite us saying no and being signed up to the TPS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since you are signed up to TPS, report the callers. That's how it works.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,460
    Forum Member
    Since you are signed up to TPS, report the callers. That's how it works.

And does anything ever happen about it?.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea but it's an absolute certainty that NOTHING will happen if you don't report the offenders. If you aren't prepared to report them, there's no point in signing up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    And does anything ever happen about it?.

Yes, I had action taken against a company who called me on several occasions to sell me a mobile contract. I therefore urge anyone who is registered with TPS to make a complaint to TPS regarding the calls.

One point to note though, if you are a current customer of a company, such as Sky for example, and it is them, or a company calling on behalf of them (as in to sell an "official sky backed" warranty as opposed to a third party warranty) then this is not against TPS rules. TPS does not get involved with calls you receive from businesses that you are a customer of.

I don't know what you would do in this instance but imagine that this sort of unsolicited call would probably need to be taken up with the information commisioner if you have previously advised the company that you don't want any marketing from them.
  • Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi! All
    We have had these scums calling us since before Christmas and infact only just this morning and one time my Dad was even asked if he was able to provide banking details at that minute.

At first after a couple of calls Dad did contact Sky who said that it was a bogus firm but since then what with more calls Dad contacted Sky I think last week and Sky did not say that the call was bogus, it was only when he contacted Domestic and General that he was told that there was no problem and that it was a bogus call.

I think these callers are scum and I wonder just how many people have paid them when they are covered already thus being robbed of money that they can ill afford?.

Go away scums.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    my advice is to people is not take any warranty at all as its not worth the paper its printed on. yu own the dish cables and the box so if yu insist on a warranty (my advice is dont) then look around for cheaper options. Your house insurance would include all satellite equipemnt in the event of damage or stolen gear. So why buy one? also second hand units are very cheap and also yu can buy a HD box cheaper(in the long run) and get a 12 month warranty on it for nothing

My brother pays £7 a month warranty to Sky. He has 2 Sky + boxes, which do need replacing from time to time as the hard drive gets degraded and there's no way to defragment it. (Being a bit of a pc whiz he'd have found it by now if there was, lol)

When a box packs up he calls Sky and they ask him if he wants if repaired or replaced. He's had two new boxes so far, and swears by it.

He told me that by paying the £7 a month you are covered on all the boxes at the property. I will probably do the same thing as it saves all the hassle of trying to find a good deal on a new box, etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Sky Team wrote: »
    We are very concerned that

you think you have been missold

We are very concerned that some of our customers are being misled and want to do whatever we can to prevent this happening in future. You can help. If you have been missold to, please email us at mysky@bskyb.com with a complete account of your experience and we will assess whether we can use the information to take any further action.

Thank you.

Marvellous, we paid sky for a service and had sky installed by a cowboy who punched a brick loose and put the cable through, being unable to retrieve the brick from the inner cavity he just put a different style brick in its place. Obviously even a fool would tell you that without drilling a hole for the cable the brick would not fit safely back in place. When I contacted the cowboy that YOU, Sky, had sent to do the dirty deed he was aggressive, abusive and threatening, I ran him off the property pretty quick. He wanted to put some sealant to keep the brick in place despite the fact it didnt fit with the wire at the side. Anyway, SKY have failed to respond to my invitation to make good the damage to my property, to apologise for the treatment received and, laterly, to explain how the aerial they supplied mysteriously packed up a few days after the warranty ran out. As far as I am concerned the warranty cant run out while SKY are in serious breach of contract, but what would I know. If you have a reply put it up here, if anyone wants a picture of the way the cable was put in, let me know, happy to forward it to anyone. As the cowboy is still operating it seems that sky did not bother to even protect themselves or their customers so I have already saved a lot of people from their charms and I will continue to advise on and off the net until the most basic of customer service is received, like a reply sometime. I remain yours with a damaged house and no Sky and a few pounds poorer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    i had one of these company's call me today. my reply was just that i know they were nothing to do with sky and they got the wrong info as my warranty rang out 2 years back now, so his reply was he put the phone right down on me.
    the reason i remembered these sort of people is that it was on watchdog 12 to 18 months ago about them. we dont normally watch it but was lucky enough to catch that one.so i googled who i thought it was and came up with this thread.
    but what a nerve just to put the phone right down, just goes to show they are a bunch of cowboys.
    i hope no one else gets caught by one of these.
  • DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just been listening to the BBC Three Counties Radio consumer programme and several people have phoned in about an (unnamed as yet) warranty company that seems to have disappeared into thin-air but have taken one-off direct-debit payments of £70 (instead of the usual £7 or £10) as a parting gesture. Anyone had this happen to them?
  • DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Further to my post above, it looks as though this company is called SatCov. Complaints about this company, and their sudden increase in direct debits are all over the net.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I had Satellite Direct UK or SatCov, they're both the same, taking a direct debit payment of £65 rather than £6.50 from my account last month. It made me overdrawn and my bank charged me £45. I'm claiming back my £45 and cancelling the cover with them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had one on the line called digital something ? didn't quite get all the name. Rather persistent I always do a security check of anybody who claims to be Sky or acting on behalf of Sky by asking them questions only Sky would know, ie what was my last bill for, what am I subscribed to and what equipment do I have. After failing the security check I put the phone down on them and they tried to phone back twice! Usually when you put the phone down on someone they get the message, perhaps they thought they'd got cut off twice :D

This is a good one! They called on a sip line (not even the right line for Sky) and it seems that they got put through to the answer service. They left a rather shirty messaging saying that if I check my paper work I'll see that I'm covered with Domestic and General! Wow not only do they then give the name of the real Sky warranty company but they got the fact wrong that I've never took out the extended warranty in the first place!

Just a pity that they didn't identify their company again as the answer message is sent to my email as a mp3! Sure would have been easy to forward to Ofcom and Sky. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've found a way of putting it on the web, I've seen the episode of the Simpsons where the telemarket sobs they hung up on me! But this is ridicious what next shoplifters returning to stores to ask for an appology because the store detective upset their feelings! :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    I got a call from a company saying that my warranty is about to expire Quoting £12 a month and saying that the fee to replace the The HD box would be £200 and the Plus Box £75
  • Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a call from a company saying that my warranty is about to expire Quoting £12 a month and saying that the fee to replace the The HD box would be £200 and the Plus Box £75
    Tell them to sod off and stop pretending
    they know about your equipment
    'Cos they DONT
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chriswatts wrote: »
    I've found a way of putting it on the web, I've seen the episode of the Simpsons where the telemarket sobs they hung up on me! But this is ridicious what next shoplifters returning to stores to ask for an appology because the store detective upset their feelings! :rolleyes:

The cheeky sod. Just listened to it.
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Ive got just the basic Sky box had it for years not had much trouble with it except now it goes back to the main menu a bit more. Anyway I got a phone call from "Sky" saying my Sky box warranty was up for renewal and as I hadnt had any major callouts !!!! not had a single call out they said they could renew the warranty for £120 for the next 2 years I passed the phone over to my husband he told them he was thinking of packing Sky in they just said ok and put the phone down.

Lainey
  • TraynorTraynor Posts: 1,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a phone call from "Sky warranty dept" informing me my warranty has lapsed,I gave the the person a short sharp reply, "I don't believe you! and put the phone down.

I have purchased my last 2 boxes through ebay, not through Sky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Musubi wrote: »
    I disagree. These callers have system details to hand, including the date that the system is to fall out of warranty. In addition, my number and my sisters number are ex-directory.

If it were a random caller, they wouldn't have personal details.

I agree. I've received several phone calls and they knew when my warranty was due to run out. I didn't and had to go and check! I am also ex-directory so they are getting our information from somewhere. Sky perhaps?

Phone calls seem to have stopped since I asked,'Which part of NO don't you understand?' and now I'm getting letters.
This discussion has been closed.