Options

Cat Help

sands11sands11 Posts: 700
Forum Member
✭✭
We have just got a kitten but have never had a cat before and know nothing about them.
We went to see them and he seemed very friendly. He came over to us and played.
However now he keeps trying to bite when we touch him. I wanted a nice friendly cat, what should I do.:(

Comments

• Options
    madnesmadnes Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 9 week old kitten and my hands are like a scratching post. I would not worry it will get over it.
  • Options
    Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you been using your hands as toys? i.e. playing "spider fingers" or similar? If you do that the kitten will look on hands as things that it's OK to claw or bite at. Get a little toy on a string or something to dangle at him instead, and if he goes for your hand stop the game immediately. He'll learn.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sands11 wrote: »
    We have just got a kitten but have never had a cat before and know nothing about them.
    We went to see them and he seemed very friendly. He came over to us and played.
    However now he keeps trying to bite when we touch him. I wanted a nice friendly cat, what should I do.:(

Bit of a silly move to accept a kitten without knowing anything about them :eek:

OK so I am going to assume you have all the basics - litter tray, food & drink bowl, toys, scratching post, food and litter etc and the kitten has been seen by a vet, will be having it's vaccinations soon etc...

All kittens bite and scratch, there isn't much you can do about it really. Just make sure you avoid encouraging the little one to "play with" or chase your hands and fingers... Although kittens are a law unto themselves!!

My kitten is now a 14 month old cat and still I look like a self harmer :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you buy a book or two about keeping cats?

I can't believe you didn't do at least some research into what cats need and their behaviour!
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Cats are normally quite easy to look after. A few years ago I gave a bit of help to a couple of people who had taken in strays, I'm not a world expert on cats but know enough.

If you get the basics right, remember they are a law unto themselves!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just remember that cats can't drink milk - they are unable to digest lactose and it upsets their tums. You can get special kitten milk which is good for them occasionally.

Food-wise you should use kitten food until it's approx 12 months old, as they keep growing and developing till then.

I do agree with other posters who've expressed surprise that you've taken on a kitten without doing some research etc. beforehand, though.

I'd recommend getting a couple of books on the subject, and possibly a cat behaviour book so you can learn how to "train" him/her from the start.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over the years, we've had two kittens straight from weening, a six month old kitten and a full grown cat.

Both of the newly weened kittens gnawed (I wouldn't describe it as bitting) our hands, and scratched, but they both grew out of it.

The important thing is not to snatch away, or you will make the bite/scratch much worse.