Pixar's UP

Comments

• UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    I've just looked on my cinema's site, and they play the 2D version every day of the week 7-8 times a day...

:p
  • Lucem FerreLucem Ferre Posts: 8,224
    Forum Member
    The 3D on this is incredible. The film itself is OK but, as others have said, is surprisingly boring in parts. It's also decidedly melancholy.
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just got back and I loved every second of it. Seriously one of my favourite Pixar movies.

A really fun, sweet storyline!

I cried 3 times... :p
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw up yesterday and cried a few times in it - its is so sad at the beginning - not what i expected at all. The rest was really sweet and lovely with lots of laugh out loud moments. I loved Doug the talking dog and the bird. Russell and mr fredickson are just lovely characters. Overall a good 8/10. :)
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it yesterday. Best kids film since Toy Story 1. In fact you dont need any kids with you to see it. Just go. And make sure its in 3D. Probably the first film I have seen in digital and 3D and it just looked superb. No real coming out of the screen effects (though at one point there were some bees and I was half expecting my seat to buzz under me..........too many Disney rides I fear;):D), but the overall look of it was STUNNING. VERY funny in parts. VERY moving in parts. A MUST see film. And also the 3D trailer for A Christmas Carol looked AMAZING in 3D. I wouldnt normally think about seeing it, but after that trailer I probably will.
    Will the glasses work at home on older 3d movies like Spy Kids 3D ?
  • FatwazFatwaz Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saw this finally yesterday and loved it.i think its the most "adult" of pixars films but my 3 year old loved it too.it is very emotional compared to their previous films but its all done so well.pixar really are an amazing company even their poor films are better than half the rest out there.i notice the us bluray comes out next month,im hoping its region free as i will def buy it for xmas viewing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Very moving and loads of laughs. The novelty of the 3D quality was interesting at first, but you soon forget about it as you are inexorably drawn in to the spell-binding little gem of a story.
    Squirrel!
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the twist with the villian and so on...

Carl's line was good when he said
    "I've waited years to finally meet my hero and when I do, he tries to kill me!"
    :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Loved it and the 3D is to die for :D:D

The 3D effects are mainly used for depth rather than the usual stuff flying out of the screen (although you get a bit of that too). When your high up in the sky the depth is stunning and as someone who has jumped out of plane (parachute jump) the view felt almost too realistic

Agree with the slow to get started for the kids (mines 5) but as an end to end story IMO it beats Wall-E hands down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Saw this the other day and loved it. Found it surprisingly adult too, especially the opening 10 minutes or so, most of which goes completely over childrens heads.
    The bit where Ellie finds out she cant have children was heartbreaking, as was the sight of Carl sat lonely at her funeral

The menacing dog with the faulty voice collar had me in stitches though!

I think i just about prefer 'Wall.E', but this comes very close.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Saw it yesterday. Best kids film since Toy Story 1. In fact you dont need any kids with you to see it. Just go.
    I agree, but I wouldn't say its a "kids" movie, its more of a family film.
    shackfan wrote: »
    Will the glasses work at home on older 3d movies like Spy Kids 3D ?
    I don't think they will.Not sure, but it might be different tech.
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Saw this the other day and loved it. Found it surprisingly adult too, especially the opening 10 minutes or so, most of which goes completely over childrens heads.
    The bit where Ellie finds out she cant have children was heartbreaking, as was the sight of Carl sat lonely at her funeral

The menacing dog with the faulty voice collar had me in stitches though!

I think i just about prefer 'Wall.E', but this comes very close.
    I agree, its the "oldest" of all the Pixar films. And that montage was heart wrenching.

We do differ on Alpha though. I found the squeeky voice annoying, but hey that's just me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this today, thought it was great. Beautifully animated, and it had a surprising adult storyline to it.

And I loved Dug the dog. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We do differ on Alpha though. I found the squeeky voice annoying, but hey that's just me.

Me too. I thought it was one of the only weak points of the film. It felt like the kind of cheap laugh trap that Pixar usually avoids.
  • AppleTangoAppleTango Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old must Charles Muntz have been?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    --Please ignore--
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AppleTango wrote: »
    How old must Charles Muntz have been?

Yeah, I did think that too. I'd say he was at least 20 years older than Carl, so he would have been 90 or older, I suppose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Robston wrote: »
    I've seen it (in the states) and it's good but not great.

It has more of an 'standard action movie' feel to it than any other Pixar flick but still enjoyable. Better than 90% of most films out there.

Just seen it again here and it was much better than I remembered, definitely growing on me. I still think Pixar peaked with Toy Story 2.:D
  • Student@30Student@30 Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nice Toy Story 3 trailer :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Student@30 wrote: »
    nice Toy Story 3 trailer :)

Didn't get that in our showing. Got A Christmas Carol and I can't remember what else.

Didn't get a Toy Story 3 trailer even in the Toy Story 3D showing. In that, we got an extended preview of A Christmas Carol.
  • thepuffinthepuffin Posts: 1,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this last night and came out a little disappointed.

Me: 30 year old (childless) woman in a relationship.

I cried and giggled and cried all the way through Wall-E but the so-called "touching" opening 15 minutes of Up bored me to death.

To be perfectly honest I think I've seen a different film to most of you! For me Up is the most kiddie Pixar film since Cars. Apart from the boring start it's all about slapstick, silly voices and comedy for the children; the characters are under-developed and I just couldn't relate or care about any of them.

Basically Up is an above average (if somewhat formulaic) comedy for children that adults will enjoy, but it falls far short of provoking the emotional response of Wall-E.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thepuffin wrote: »
    Saw this last night and came out a little disappointed.

Me: 30 year old (childless) woman in a relationship.

I cried and giggled and cried all the way through Wall-E but the so-called "touching" opening 15 minutes of Up bored me to death.

To be perfectly honest I think I've seen a different film to most of you! For me Up is the most kiddie Pixar film since Cars. Apart from the boring start it's all about slapstick, silly voices and comedy for the children; the characters are under-developed and I just couldn't relate or care about any of them.

Basically Up is an above average (if somewhat formulaic) comedy for children that adults will enjoy, but it falls far short of provoking the emotional response of Wall-E.

Interesting. I think Up is probably Pixar's most adult film to date.

I don't know how you can say the characters are under-developed though. Carl is probably the most developed character we've ever seen in a Pixar film.

You must have a heart of stone to find that opening montage boring!! ;)

For me, the most blatantly 'kiddie' Pixar film is Finding Nemo. It ranks very low on my list, but most people love it. I'm not saying it's a bad film by any means - certainly not - but amongst the tough competition of the rest of the Pixar efforts, I think it under-performs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took my mum to see this today (i'm 24 and she's 50). I had been looking forward to seeing this film all year, and we both thought it was amazing. She was crying within the first 10 minutes! Not quite as good as Wall-E imo, but I still rate it as one of the best Pixar movies.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the eagle eyed of you, you will see that in the Toy Story 3 trailer, Andy has a letter from Ellie and Carl Fredrickson on his notice board.
  • katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this yesterday, and I admit I shed a tear within the first 20 mins. I thought it would be mainly funny, but it's a surprisingly touching film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got back from seeing this, fantastic film, definitely one of Pixar's best. Still not convinced by the whole 3D thing, but have to admit it did look fantastic shown with a digital projector.

And something happened that I haven't seen (or heard) at the cinema for a long time...there were a couple of scenes (the quieter ones) where the entire cinema was silent, not a cough, rustle or whisper :) (granted it was a 21:30 showing so there were no kids in it :))