Options

Contract Changes - April 2010

BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
Forum Member
I am not enormously keen on the contract change starting in April which arrived (by snail mail) today!

For those who have not seen it it says that "you will need to give 31 days notice to downgrade any subscription."

As I like taking Movie Channels for 1 month only this is going to cost them money - I will give "notice to downgrade" immediately after upgrading rather than, as now, when I reach a point when I have no time to look at many movies (which might be significantly longer than 1 month!)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    I am not enormously keen on the contract change starting in April which arrived (by snail mail) today!

For those who have not seen it it says that "you will need to give 31 days notice to downgrade any subscription."

As I like taking Movie Channels for 1 month only this is going to cost them money - I will give "notice to downgrade" immediately after upgrading rather than, as now, when I reach a point when I have no time to look at many movies (which might be significantly longer than 1 month!)

Ok, you dont like it because its going to cost them money? i think its sensible at last. like you i add on sports every so often and i dont want to keep on remembering whether i called on the 6th or 7th of the month. so now when i upgrade i can say ok just take my notification now that i want to change in a month again. billing remains exactly as i want it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok, you dont like it because its going to cost them money? i think its sensible at last. like you i add on sports every so often and i dont want to keep on remembering whether i called on the 6th or 7th of the month. so now when i upgrade i can say ok just take my notification now that i want to change in a month again. billing remains exactly as i want it.
    It is probably NOT being done for the benefit of either you or I! While I personally liked the thought of being able to change channels I had for a a while at any time I rather suspect Sky have introduced it as a deterrent against the majority of subscribers changing anything too oftenl!

People who routinely cancel Sky Sports for the summer will need to calculate and remember when 31 days before the end of the EPL is!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Personally I think it will reduce confusion.

Currently the majority of customers fail to understand how the current downgrade process can impact on their bill. The classic example are those who receive a Movies/Sports offer for 2 or 3 months. They call up on the day the offer expires to downgrade their package, but it's often the case that their following bill has already been generated on their higher subs (as typically the bills have been generated for the month in advance prior to the downgrade). This annoys a lot of customers as they have to shell out more than expected in their next payment, and Sky get a lot of grief.

With the new process the billing system will be able to accurately generate the next bill, without the customer paying extra in advance then receiving a corrective credit the following month.

The downside of course is you'll have to plan your next upgrade carefully if you only want it for a short period, as you won't be able to just downgrade on the fly whenever it suits.

I'm sure Sky has an ulterior motive but the official justification for the policy change is so that it falls in line with the account cancellation process where 31 days notice is also required.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SoftEng wrote: »
    I'm sure Sky has an ulterior motive but the official justification for the policy change is so that it falls in line with the account cancellation process where 31 days notice is also required.
    To be fair it also brings HD Cancellation (which has always been a cancellation of a separate contract - thus 31 days) and changes to the Sky Digital contract (Mixes, Movies, Sport) into line.

As long as they will accept notice of cancellation on the day something new is ordered I can plan ahead!
  • Options
    aljdaviealjdavie Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come on people, this is typical of the way that Sky are.

The idea is that they get another one months worth of money off you. I bet the offers will not be there when you phone to cancel as the first thing you will be told is that you have to give one months notice.

I personally think it stinks! If I choose to downgrade after one month, that’s up to me. Hope that one day someone else gets a decent place on the sats market and gives Sky a run for their money.

Cannot believe that people are so laid back about this !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you want it for 1 month that's still fine - it just means you need to submit your notice on the day of upgrade. The net effect is the same.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I'm happy with the changes. I plan on cancelling HD sub, movies and sport for the summer. Now I can ring once on the 9th April and give notice to cancel all from the 10th May ( day after footie finishes)

My worry with the old system is if I rang and gave notice on just the HD sub on the 9th April and that went on the 10th May I would ring on the 10th to cancel everything else and someone would tell me as my package has just been downgraded that day they may say I have to wait 30 days before I can downgrade again.

Changes don't really bother me. Just need to plan ahead a little
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have to agree. If anything this would actually make me less likely to take movies or an extra mix on a whim (as I did before Christmas). Part of the attraction in upgrading is that you know you can downgrade easily if it doesn't work out. Making that harder doesn't work for me, personally...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bignoise wrote: »
    I have to agree. If anything this would actually make me less likely to take movies or an extra mix on a whim (as I did before Christmas). Part of the attraction in upgrading is that you know you can downgrade easily if it doesn't work out. Making that harder doesn't work for me, personally...
    As others have said Christmas isn't so much an issue as you (and I) would probably now give notice on the day we upgraded. Sky might lose out as I have, in the past, gone from before Xmas until February on occasion.

They probably expect to make a killing by people who say "end of soccer - must downgrade for summer" - who will be stuck for another month!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think more people will be happier with this than unhappier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone confirm the exact date these changes take place?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shawboy07 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm the exact date these changes take place?

16th April.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate it. If i want to downgrade my package it is usually to reduce costs. If i'm forced to pay for another month that I don't want then that is just plain stupid. this is not the contract I signed up to when I first took out Sky in the first place so I don't see when i need to bow down and take this rule change without me agreeing to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    weebit wrote: »
    I hate it. If i want to downgrade my package it is usually to reduce costs. If i'm forced to pay for another month that I don't want then that is just plain stupid. this is not the contract I signed up to when I first took out Sky in the first place so I don't see when i need to bow down and take this rule change without me agreeing to it.

You don't if you are outwith your minimum term - you can just cancel your account.

The contract you initially agreed to probably contains various clauses which allow these sort of contract changes to occur - so you have agreed to it in a roundabout way.
  • Options
    wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    You don't have to agree ... you can cancel your subscription... ;)
    weebit wrote: »
    I don't see when i need to bow down and take this rule change without me agreeing to it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    I disagree that more people will be happier with this, especially as the contract amendment also gives them the right to charge and admin fee to downgrade.

So even those of you who upgrade for a month,then give notice immediately to cancel, will still have to pay a fee. No mention of what that fee is of course, as this is a contractual amendment. I'd guess a nice round £5.
  • Options
    bbvbbv Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose this brings them in line with most other companies.
    I always thought it was a great service to be able to instantly downgrade anyway and how unusual it was from any other subscription I get (phones etc).

Its a shame though that Sky have to turn a great bit of customer service into just a standard bit of service and not try to be a bit different. After all, every customer spends a fair bit of money with them monthly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    baboons wrote:
    So even those of you who upgrade for a month,then give notice immediately to cancel, will still have to pay a fee. No mention of what that fee is of course, as this is a contractual amendment. I'd guess a nice round £5.
    Highly unlikely! This condition has always been present since I started with Sky - but NEVER used!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Highly unlikely! This condition has always been present since I started with Sky - but NEVER used!

Fairy nuff. I guessed they were moving to this as they've added a statement saying they "will let you know the amount of any fee in advance".
  • Options
    jettajetta Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aljdavie wrote: »
    Come on people, this is typical of the way that Sky are.

The idea is that they get another one months worth of money off you. I bet the offers will not be there when you phone to cancel as the first thing you will be told is that you have to give one months notice.

I personally think it stinks! If I choose to downgrade after one month, that’s up to me. Hope that one day someone else gets a decent place on the sats market and gives Sky a run for their money.

Cannot believe that people are so laid back about this !

The first I knew about this change to cancellation terms was today when tried to cancel Sky Sports! Never received any letter and was told by Sky customer services that I would have been notified in the Sky magazine.

Only problem is that we never get a Sky magazine!!!

Why does it suddenly need 31 days to cancel when it didn't last year, or the year before?

Comes across as a ploy to con people out of an extra month of expensive TV that they don't want to watch.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing that can be said in its favour is that 31 days removes any ambiguity about what a "month" could mean since a month can be anything from 28 days to 31 days.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,528
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    The only thing that can be said in its favour is that 31 days removes any ambiguity about what a "month" could mean since a month can be anything from 28 days to 31 days.

Presumably that was the reasoning behind it?.
  • Options
    wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    Because the T&C's changed ... this year ... :rolleyes:
    jetta wrote: »
    Why does it suddenly need 31 days to cancel when it didn't last year, or the year before?
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably that was the reasoning behind it?.
    I'm a Sky fan so I don't see a conspiracy theory in everything Sky does but I'm sure it was one of those "benefits for the consumer" type moves that benefited the company more than anything else!
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do ESPN and Top Up TV not already operate in this manor?