The John James Appreciation Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• Lena JLena J Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plumber and twitter update..........

Whistling has been replaced with grumbling and growling :o apparently we have a larger than average mono hole in our basin (basically the bl**dy tap is too small for the basin) and it's leaving a gap at the back. After phoning round he's now gone off to get another tap which means also changing the 'pop up' waste for one that is a 'touch pop', seems you just press the plug and it goes up and down......I'm saying nothing. :blush:
    I've just had a horrible thought....I assume this new tap will match the one he fitted to the bath on Friday. :confused:

On the twitter front......the news is........there's no news. :D
    Seems everyone is asking the same question....."Are you here yet John?" :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nyannie wrote: »
    Morning all

Lena, I got up at 6, stripped the bed and helped turn the mattress - hovered it, remade the bed, washed out refrigerator after it had been defrosted, deadheaded flowers in the garden and made some soup for lunch. Going to relax a bit and watch Sharpe and then the Commonwealth Games.

I will swap - I will do your housework if you do my ironing - and Christmas shopping - Fair?

Sainted Aunt nyannie, do you ever stop? I'm worn out just reading about it.:o

I'll take you up on the ironing (although I'm :blush:ing at the height of my ironing pile again), but I'm allergic to Christmas shopping :D..... perhaps georgy would like to do that for you, georgy likes to shop I think? :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you do make me hang my head in shame, :blush:

but before you offer that deal to Lena, i'll swap, i'll do your ironing for the housework.

i can do the ironing in front of the cricket, i can stand there for ages :D

Get in line, she asked me first :D Although I'm prepared to strike some kind of deal over the Christmas shopping......I'm allergic to Christmas and shopping.....both together is quite frankly worse than doing housework. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a shame about your pier, lets hope they restore it, quickly.
    I do so love walking along the worthing one, just looking out, and watching the fishermen

not so much, when i was a kid, i was always worried, i would fall down
    the cracks, i use to tip toe along
    :D

There's something very special about a pier, feels a bit like you're walking on water.
    Many happy memories on that pier, particularly love the glass studio where you can watch the artists making glass figures, the way they pull these shapes out of a blob of glass and add different colours is amazing. I have a beautiful glass dolphin that Mum and Dad had made specially for me for my thirtieth birthday.

I used to be the same way about the corridors on trains when we travelled down to the coast. My Dad used to have to carry me through the tunnely bit where the carriages joined. :blush:
    un-pinches nose.......... well that soooooo good to hear :D

What are you implying? Mind you it might be an idea to stand up wind :blush:
    Soaked again this morning trying to wash my hair in the kitchen sink with a cup....it's like camping in your own house.

Have I mentioned before I don't do camping? They can Glamp it up all they like....it's still a bl**dy tent!!

Plumber is back......whistling has resumed which I guess means that something is finally going right. :)

morning all, hope all had a good weekend
    i went to mums it like having a holiday home to visit, i,m so pleased they moved :D

Best of both worlds..... a home from home without the upkeep. :D
    The south coast is rather lovely, hope they were ok in the flash flooding last week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry georgy, still didn't manage to edit above post correctly. :blush:
    I'm sooo not technical.....my reply is in there......somewhere. :confused:
  • nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Afternoon all.

Absolutely worn out. Made some soup, cleaned the bathrooms (YUCK)!!!!, did some washing and then went into our local town. Got passport pictures done (do I look, old, haggard and worn out - we aren't allowed to smile! My double chin looks awful. . . ), then I bought o/h a really nice jacket for his birthday AND Christmas. It was on sale so felt quite good, opened an ISA, got a yoga mat and some new suit bottoms, met a friend for lunch (food pretty awful and will never go to that restaurant again), then got some jiffy bags and envelopes at the pound shop - and came home and slept for an hour!!!!!

Anyway. . .

So sorry you are having problems Lena - I do sympathize. I also understand how you feel about piers. There is something special. I think they bring us back to a time when life was simpler and happier. I really hope the pier is rebuilt.

Off to London tomorrow to meet a friend. We are going to the Summer Show at the Royal Academy and then a nice lunch somewhere.

Hope everyone has a lovely day. Hope augusta is still enjoying herself.

Cannot believe we haven't heard or seen from John. Wonder if he was actually coming to the UK. We will probably have some news when he has gone back to Oz.
    Forum Member
    By the way, doesn't anyone want to do my Christmas shopping?

I will do ironing - and make dinners for a week - if someone will do my Christmas shopping - and cards!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello is there anybody there? :)

Been having a relaxing day after the shenanigans yesterday and laying in the sun. Determined to enjoy it while we have it as some forecasters are suggesting the remains of a tropical storm is heading across the Atlantic which will herald a more autumnal feel afterwards. I hope this is the usual scaremongering, I'm not ready for Autumn thank you very much. :(

Update on taps - they don't bloody match! When I pointed this out I was told 'that's the nature of the beast'. :confused:
    No it's the nature of a fri**ing plumber that had already put the bath taps on and couldn't be bothered as he's off to Thailand. >:(
    I am beyond furious, why would I choose to replace matching taps with non matching when I'm updating the bathroom?
    This is not over let me tell you. >:(>:(

Anyway, I've checked twitter still nothing from John. Wonder how long he's spending in Cyprus or maybe he's already here and staying under the radar. ;-)

Off to cook Fragrant Curry, the men in my life's favourite. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I will do ironing - and make dinners for a week - if someone will do my Christmas shopping - and cards!!!!!

Hi nyannie, you know me I'm allergic to Christmas. :D
    Still think georgy is your best bet, think she's a lady that shops ;-):p

You posted while I was writing hence the 'is there anybody there' comment in case people think I'm losing my marbles. :blush::D
  • georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member

you had me, then you went and mentioned the dreaded cards :D
    Forum Member
    Lena J wrote: »
    Hi nyannie, you know me I'm allergic to Christmas. :D
    Still think georgy is your best bet, think she's a lady that shops ;-):p

You posted while I was writing hence the 'is there anybody there' comment in case people think I'm losing my marbles. :blush::D

How do you know me so well :D

shop i should get a medal in it, a big shiny gold one :D

olympic style :D

morning all
    got a few jobs to do today
    then a quick pop into town, need a few things
    so thats my day sorted.

hope all have a good day
    will pop back later

p.s hope Augusta is a having a wonderful time :D
    Forum Member
    you had me, then you went and mentioned the dreaded cards :D

Oh dear. . .I was counting on you - - -

Well, I guess it is back to writing two or three cards a night before my hand cramps. Wish I had one of those machines. . .

Had some rain last night. Going off to London shortly to meet a friend. Have my umbrella so should be OK. Very humid out.

Have a good day all.
    Forum Member

Been having a relaxing day after the shenanigans yesterday and laying in the sun. Determined to enjoy it while we have it as some forecasters are suggesting the remains of a tropical storm is heading across the Atlantic which will herald a more autumnal feel afterwards. I hope this is the usual scaremongering, I'm not ready for Autumn thank you very much. :(

Update on taps - they don't bloody match! When I pointed this out I was told 'that's the nature of the beast'. :confused:
    No it's the nature of a fri**ing plumber that had already put the bath taps on and couldn't be bothered as he's off to Thailand. >:(
    I am beyond furious, why would I choose to replace matching taps with non matching when I'm updating the bathroom?

Anyway, I've checked twitter still nothing from John. Wonder how long he's spending in Cyprus or maybe he's already here and staying under the radar. ;-)

Oh Lena

How can the taps be non-matching? I have taps which have red and blue on them to denote cold and hot water. Never heard of anything so silly - you INSIST that the taps are replaced. I can imagine how you feel. I would too - and I certainly would not pay the plumber until the job is done properly.

Good luck.

Your dinner sounded wonderful. You are a much better cook than I am.
    Forum Member

No it's the nature of a fri**ing plumber that had already put the bath taps on and couldn't be bothered as he's off to Thailand.

A good plumber is so hard to find, the nature of the beast my ar*e
    perhaps you should try that line on him, when he wants paying >:(

enjoy the Fragrant Curry, have a good time.

i,m off to see about John, i shall try ......my not so secret sources :D
    Johns Facebook group, they might be in the know :D
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. . .I was counting on you - - -

Well, I guess it is back to writing two or three cards a night before my hand cramps. Wish I had one of those machines. . .

Had some rain last night. Going off to London shortly to meet a friend. Have my umbrella so should be OK. Very humid out.

Have a good day all.

sorry ... i could help with the gift giving, i,m great with gift ideas :D

have a lovely time in London
    it also rained very heavy here, lots of the road have flooded
    take care :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope you've had a nice day in London nyannie and the weather has been kind. :)

Had some rain in the night and a little very early this morning but was all dry around 8am. Bit overcast, but then the strong breeze came up and there's not been a cloud in the sky since around 3pm.

I'll see what I can do about getting you a gold medal for shopping georgy, will a chocolate one do? :D

(Taps nose).......Any joy with your facebook contacts? ;-);-):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Lena

How can the taps be non-matching? I have taps which have red and blue on them to denote cold and hot water. Never heard of anything so silly - you INSIST that the taps are replaced. I can imagine how you feel. I would too - and I certainly would not pay the plumber until the job is done properly.

Good luck.

Your dinner sounded wonderful. You are a much better cook than I am.

You might well ask. He did the bath tap when he was here last week, then had the bright idea to take the basin of the wall as he had to fit a new trap thingy for plug and thought it would be an opportunity for us to tile without having to cut around it. Fine idea in itself.
    He comes back on Monday morning to put basin back on wall and fit the tap which matched the new bath mixer tap, only to discover after fitting new trap for plughole that the new tap didn't fit in the basin hole. Seems it's an Ideal Standard basin (says Armitage Shanks on the side) and they made their wares with bigger holes. Well is that my fault? Shouldn't he have checked when he took it off on Friday?:confused:
    He disappeared for a while to see if he could find a solution, came back with another toolbox and more bits and pieces and said he'd make something so tap would fit without sliding about in hole. Forty minutes later came back down and announced he was off to find another tap. I should have had my wits about me then, but I stupidly thought he knew best. Wasn't till he'd finished and I went to look that I saw they didn't match!
    Basin tap is lovely but almost twice the price of the one that didn't fit. That's because it only comes with some posh press pop up plug thing. I've also discovered it's a sealed unit so you can't clean the plughole. I can see that's going to cost me an arm and a leg in Mr Muscle sink unblocker on a regular basis. :(
    I've been online and there is a matching tap for bath, so I shall get that. In the meantime he's beggared off to Thailand. >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still nothing on twitter....I should be cooking dinner. :cool:

I'm walking about with sivery pink toenails except for big toes which are sporting mint green on one and pale lavender on the other.....I can't make up my mind what colour to paint them. :blush:

Decisions, decisions. :D

Have a good evening everyone. :)
    Forum Member
    Oh Lena

I cannot believe the plumber. I certainly would not pay him until the job is completed to your satisfaction. Surely he should have told you that Ideal Standard have a different tap and you could have gotten one from IS.

We have had problems with our taps - the new ones have some kind of ceramic unit and they just don't turn off easily so I never use the ones in the family bathroom which defeats the whole purpose of my own bathroom. Horrible. Even taps in B&Q are awfully expensive.

Had a lovely time in London but left behind a package in a restaurant so have to go back next week before I meet my sister-in-law. Will have to have an expensive train ticket too so that I can do it.

Off to the gym and then have to tackle some housework.

Have a good day all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Lena

I cannot believe the plumber. I certainly would not pay him until the job is completed to your satisfaction. Surely he should have told you that Ideal Standard have a different tap and you could have gotten one from IS.

We have had problems with our taps - the new ones have some kind of ceramic unit and they just don't turn off easily so I never use the ones in the family bathroom which defeats the whole purpose of my own bathroom. Horrible. Even taps in B&Q are awfully expensive.

Had a lovely time in London but left behind a package in a restaurant so have to go back next week before I meet my sister-in-law. Will have to have an expensive train ticket too so that I can do it.

Off to the gym and then have to tackle some housework.

Have a good day all.

Hi nyannie, pleased you had a good day in London. What a shame you left something behind. At least they're keeping it for you and you'll be able to get it back. Nuisance though. :(

The plumber actually supplied the taps himself, which just makes the whole thing even more ridiculous.
    Ironically, the original set of taps we bought ourselves, and they fitted perfectly.
    Getting pretty fed up, never seem to make the right decisions anymore. I must be losing my touch - actually not sure I had any 'my touch' to start with. :confused::(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been a beautiful day here today, but I see they're hedging their bets over the next few days.
    Do hope the weather stays for a bit longer, I'm enjoying these warm summer days. :)

Still can't find anything on twitter, wonder if georgy had any luck? ;-)

Have a good evening everyone.
    Forum Member
    Hi nyannie, pleased you had a good day in London. What a shame you left something behind. At least they're keeping it for you and you'll be able to get it back. Nuisance though. :(

The plumber actually supplied the taps himself, which just makes the whole thing even more ridiculous.
    Ironically, the original set of taps we bought ourselves, and they fitted perfectly.
    Getting pretty fed up, never seem to make the right decisions anymore. I must be losing my touch - actually not sure I had any 'my touch' to start with. :confused::(

Morning.

No, you aren't losing your touch. When we had our bathroom done we bought everything ourselves - just as you did. I am surprised the plumber didn't show you the taps before he put them on. Awful!

What colour did you finally choose for your nails? I have never used nail varnish. Never had long enough nails.
    Forum Member
    No news of John I see.

Guess he doesn't want anyone to know anything until he has gone back to Oz. Oh well.

This weekend will be spent trying to sort out my passport renewal. You can't go to the Embassy anymore and before you do anything you have to watch a 10 minute youtube presentation. Really need to be a genius to figure everything out. Still, a passport is so very important!

Anyway, hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. Isn't augusta due back soon?
    Forum Member
    Still nothing on twitter....I should be cooking dinner. :cool:

I'm walking about with sivery pink toenails except for big toes which are sporting mint green on one and pale lavender on the other.....I can't make up my mind what colour to paint them. :blush:

Decisions, decisions. :D

Have a good evening everyone. :)

Hope you went with the Lavender, Mint green...... hmmmmm not my thing :D lol

Morning all
    doing housework, bugs have outside to play in
    so why do they come into my house and die >:(

keep hoovering up the bloody things :D

hope all have a good day :D
    Forum Member
    It's been a beautiful day here today, but I see they're hedging their bets over the next few days.
    Do hope the weather stays for a bit longer, I'm enjoying these warm summer days. :)

Still can't find anything on twitter, wonder if georgy had any luck? ;-)

Have a good evening everyone.

no luck........
    and i had my ear to the ground

and let me tell you
    its hard to walk that way :p