Jenny posing for the portrait

Comments

• Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    It would be out of place in a kids TV show but Doctor Who is family entertainment. We are talking about a show where people regularly die. A droid was impaled on the top of Big Ben in the last episode. I'm pretty sure that if kids are OK watching that then they can handle seeing the Doctor get a slap.

It started with Jackie, didn't it? Then Martha's mum. Then Donna. Does seem to happen rather a lot thinking about it.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    It started with Jackie, didn't it? Then Martha's mum. Then Donna. Does seem to happen rather a lot thinking about it.

Martha, Amy, River Song, etc.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    And you'd presumably be fine with Clara getting a 'played for laughs' slap off the Doctor, right?

I don't think I ever seen a man 'playfully' slap a woman. It doesn't happen in real life so why would it be shown in Doctor Who?
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I'm not really a fan of crudity, tbh. I wouldn't mind so much if the balance was ever tipped in the other direction and we got men with hot bods running around with no clothes on, but we never, ever do. It just seems Moffat on some weird, lizard-lesbian perv trip.

I'm sorry? Moffat's very first episode as showrunner, Matt Smith's very first full episode, had Smith get his kit off on screen, and Amy deliberately, gratuitously and unrepentantly, ogling him. He does it again in the Lodger. And again in his last episode, Time of the Doctor!
    Forum Member
    I don't think I ever seen a man 'playfully' slap a woman. It doesn't happen in real life so why would it be shown in Doctor Who?

Oh that's desperate and you know it is.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Oh that's desperate and you know it is.

Maybe but I cannot aduquatly explain why it is socially acceptable to depict women slapping men but not the other way around, but it obviously is otherwise lots of people would complain to the BBC and they wouldn't do it again, but they seem to do it quite a lot so one can only assume that not many people are offended by it.

But I still can't believe we're talking about people slapping each other in a show that depicts death so frequently. Surely killing someone is worse than slapping them?
    Forum Member
    Maybe but I cannot aduquatly explain why it is socially acceptable to depict women slapping men but not the other way around, but it obviously is otherwise lots of people would complain to the BBC and they wouldn't do it again, but they seem to do it quite a lot so one can only assume that not many people are offended by it.

But I still can't believe we're talking about people slapping each other in a show that depicts death so frequently. Surely killing someone is worse than slapping them?

I agree. I can't explain it either but I think it's wrong.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wopsy wrote: »
    The scene was amusing, but it would have been better still had it been the Silurian posing in just her veil. That would have been a truly memorable moment.
    Even more memorable if it had been Strax :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Explaining about the lizard lady kissing the other lady. Easy love conquers all. The question I found difficult was why did the fish suffocate in water ? Pay the doctors' daughter
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't mind but it's one of Moffat's tired, old cliches. Remember that god-awful Christmas Special about the wardrobe and the trees?

What an unsavoury message to be broadcasting to kids.

Let me ask, do you think it's acceptable showing the Doctor being slapped across the face by females in a kids' TV show?

It's not acceptable for anyone to be slapped, especially if it's unprovoked but you have to give children credit and assume that they're able to seperate fact from fiction and the like.

I'd rather not be reminded of Christmas 2011. Even I thought that episode was crap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really???? Seriously arguing about a slap that not even been shown yet. I'm sure it will be ok when it's shown in context
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People need to chill out and just see it as the comody relief it was supposed to be
    Forum Member
    snopaelic wrote: »
    Really???? Seriously arguing about a slap that not even been shown yet. I'm sure it will be ok when it's shown in context

We're discussing slaps, both past and future.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with the painting scene, and the rest of the girl married to a lizard woman stuff, but I'm still not sure how the whole oxygen sharing thing was better than breathing as slowly as possible. I mean, the point was to avoid looking like you were breathing, and not because there wasn't any oxgyen in the room. Breathing from someone else's mouth isn't exactly subtle.:confused:
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the painting scene, and the rest of the girl married to a lizard woman stuff, but I'm still not sure how the whole oxygen sharing thing was better than breathing as slowly as possible. I mean, the point was to avoid looking like you were breathing, and not because there wasn't any oxgyen in the room. Breathing from someone else's mouth isn't exactly subtle.:confused:

No, but it doesn't expel carbon dioxide around the room. I think it's silly that these robots can detect the movement of air from breathing, but not the movement of air from, you know, moving, and are completely unaware of any other life signs. But at least it's consistently silly.
    ]
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I thought she looked really beautiful in that scene!

I really liked that she got a bit more fleshing out here too. She always seemed to be playing second fiddle to Vastra but we got much more of her personality this time. Her and Vastra are becoming more rounded (although Strax is obviously still being played entirely for laughs).

BIB - I'd quite like a line from Strax where he admits that he is deliberately playing the fool, just to mess with people and to get them to lower their guard around him.

He is a medic and a clone of Sontar's greatest general, so he should be a shrewd operator - keeping him around just as a "comedy sidekick" is getting stale and boring.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind but it's one of Moffat's tired, old cliches. Remember that god-awful Christmas Special about the wardrobe and the trees?

What an unsavoury message to be broadcasting to kids.

Let me ask, do you think it's acceptable showing the Doctor being slapped across the face by females in a kids' TV show?

poisonous stuff, indeed!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to touch on the whole 'Strax undermining Sontaran credibility', has everyone forgotten TNotD when he reverted back to being a ruthless Sontaran. I took him very seriously.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    poisonous stuff, indeed!

Sorry, back OT but I've been thinking a bit about this. It's not really a Moffat cliche as it first happened in episode 4 of Series 1, but I guess it depends upon the context. Jackie slapping Nine because she had thought that her daughter was either missing or worse for a year you can understand. Donna slapping Ten because she thought she could be about to die whilst he was just prattling on incomprehensibly, ditto. But generally I could do without it. In retrospect, the only time whilst watching when I personally thought hmmm, not sure about that really, was Amy slapping Rory in Asylum...twice.

Maybe over thinking it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, back OT but I've been thinking a bit about this. It's not really a Moffat cliche as it first happened in episode 4 of Series 1, but I guess it depends upon the context. Jackie slapping Nine because she had thought that her daughter was either missing or worse for a year you can understand. Donna slapping Ten because she thought she could be about to die whilst he was just prattling on incomprehensibly, ditto. But generally I could do without it. In retrospect, the only time whilst watching when I personally thought hmmm, not sure about that really, was Amy slapping Rory in Asylum...twice.

Maybe over thinking it!

just to say, y comment wasn't serious.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I don't think slapping the Doctor is particularly a Moffat thing. Women slapping men happens in many TV programmes; it's cheap comedy. The only time I can see it working in the story is if the character is doing it to 'snap' the Doctor out of something- in which case it's gender-neutral.

I really dislike a comic slap done in reaction to a man making a pervy comment/cheating on someone, as if slapping the man makes it all right. The reason why a woman hitting a man is deemed socially acceptable is because women are seen as the weaker sex and therefore if they hit a man, it doesn't really hurt. Whereas if a man hit a woman, they would have the power to hurt them.

Slapping on TV isn't something I'd complain about but it's a cheap joke. I remember watching The League of Gentlemen and in one scene Edward hits Tubbs- and the laughter track suddenly stops because the audience are surprised that a comedy sketch show has a genuinely dramatic and poignant moment. I think that the emotional violence and harm would affect either gender.
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you imagine if The Doc slapped e.g. Clara in anger?
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    comedyfish wrote: »
    Can you imagine if The Doc slapped e.g. Clara in anger?

It could be dramatically effective but not sure that would go down well.
    Forum Member
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    I don't think slapping the Doctor is particularly a Moffat thing. Women slapping men happens in many TV programmes; it's cheap comedy. The only time I can see it working in the story is if the character is doing it to 'snap' the Doctor out of something- in which case it's gender-neutral.

I really dislike a comic slap done in reaction to a man making a pervy comment/cheating on someone, as if slapping the man makes it all right. The reason why a woman hitting a man is deemed socially acceptable is because women are seen as the weaker sex and therefore if they hit a man, it doesn't really hurt. Whereas if a man hit a woman, they would have the power to hurt them.

Slapping on TV isn't something I'd complain about but it's a cheap joke. I remember watching The League of Gentlemen and in one scene Edward hits Tubbs- and the laughter track suddenly stops because the audience are surprised that a comedy sketch show has a genuinely dramatic and poignant moment. I think that the emotional violence and harm would affect either gender.

Thanks for that. It's not something I'd actively complain to the BBC about but it really annoys me when it happens. No, it's not just a Moffat thing but it's something he uses relatively frequently and it's hardly ever justified by the story. If I had a five or six year-old kid I wouldn't want them seeing anyone getting slapped hard across the face. I think it oversteps the boundaries of what should be included in a family/kids TV show.

People seem to think Moffat is being progressive with the inclusion of Vastra and Jenny but in reality many of the gender characteristics he employs are rather old-fashioned and out of date.